FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Info on the "Watchmen" movie's current status...

Author Topic: Info on the "Watchmen" movie's current status...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...sort of.

Eh. I have ambivalent feelings about this. Mostly because I personally feel the Watchmen graphic novel (which blew me away when I was a teen) no longer seems like -quite- the ageless classic of perfection it did to me back then.

It's sort of like The Killing Joke graphic novel...I read it in my teens and was "WOW! BEST JOKER EVER!"

These days I can barely stand it. It has gorgeous Brian Bolland art, but a take on the two main characters that I now find nonsensical...and John Ostrander, Chuck Dixon, and Paul Dini later proved that Babs really didn't deserve to be demoted to victim.

I still enjoy portions of Watchmen but a lot of it seems so...thin and dated, these days.

Ozymandias has pretty much been proven to have been completely wrong about the Cold War. Except for Silk Spectre II, nearly all the female characters make me feel ill.

Still, I'll probably see it. I'm a geek. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'm excited to see this. I absolutely loved the graphic novel. It was incredible, and the first graphic novel I had ever read. But I honestly don't think that any movie can really live up to the images I have in my head. Still, like Puffy, I will probably see it anyway.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit more emotionally invested in Watchmen. I analyzed it in depth and wrote three lit papers--in fact, those three papers helped me find a way to deal with literary and art appreciation elements in comic book analysis. For me, it's not the events or characters that matter but the themes. If they mess that up, it'll be awful for me.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I still love the Watchmen. Sibling disagreement!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what director Terry Gilliam said about adapting the graphic novel into a movie: It's unnecessary because "Watchmen" IS already like a movie. And you know, not everything has to become a movie. Sometimes--heck, often--the original work is enough.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Blasphemy!

Though actually, I agree. The world could have lived happily without any Dune movies.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
...sort of.
I still enjoy portions of Watchmen but a lot of it seems so...thin and dated, these days.

Ozymandias has pretty much been proven to have been completely wrong about the Cold War.

We came extremely close to having nuclear war in the '80s when tensions were pretty high. There've been a couple Hatrack threads on this before -- here's a link to one of them

(But yeah, as to the movie, I'm not enthused about it. If HBO did it as a series though, that could be cool.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about it either. The graphic novel is amazing... I'm gonna wait nervously for more news, previews and the like. It'd be really, really easy to screw it up.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
We came extremely close to having nuclear war in the '80s when tensions were pretty high. There've been a couple Hatrack threads on this before -- here's a link to one of them

Where did I say that Cold War tensions didn't exist in the 80s? [Smile]

I said that Ozymandias was wrong to kill all those people with his artificial alien invader. Turns out that wasn't the only way to diffuse US/Soviet tensions after all.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.