FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now that my cold is gone...

Author Topic: Now that my cold is gone...
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
...I can sing again. And just in time. Tomorrow is the district Solo and Ensemble contest. I'm still a little nervous since this year I'm singing a duet, and playing a tuba solo, which I've never done before. I'm playing 'Old American Patriotic Song' on the tuba as a solo with piano accompaniment. This will be the first time I'm playing a solo, and I've only had the tuba for around 3 or 4 months. My accomanist says I sound really good, but I'm still trying to get the higher notes.

As for singing, the only thing keeping my voice from a raspy whisper is a bag of throat drops. This afternoon I could barely get a note out, unless I really belted it. Now I'm back to normal, and hope to stay that way. For my solo I'm singing "The Impossible Dream" from "Man of La Mancha" It's in nine-eight time, which is a little hard to count, but I'm managing it. I was originally singing two duets, but one was changed to a quartet, since my director said we sounded better that way. We are singing "Chariot's Comin'!" or better know as "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" We really do sound better. My last one is a duet, "Go, Tell it on the Mountian" we harmonize really well, and the song itself is fun to sing.

So, wish me luck! Last year I got all division 1's. I hope I can keep up the record!

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Sing well, sweet dueter; and Go blow it on the tuba! Good luck!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of trying to count all the 8ths in 9/8, break it into 3 groups of 3 8ths--meaning just count it in 3 instead of 9. Good luck singing, remember to support like crazy just like you're playing tuba.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could do my favourite 9/8 - 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2-3.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
That is jumping from a duple-triple meter to a triple-triple every bar. Its kind of like the way the old sailor spends the weekend. Jumping from bar to bar.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back. I got a divison 2 on both my solos, and division 1 on my ensembles. We get to see the records on Monday, so I'll find out what I did wrong.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.