FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American God

Author Topic: American God
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting anthropological oddity. Not the Neil Gaiman novel.

linky

At least there's one place in the world where people can be sure that there won't be any anti-Americanism. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
A place for Americans to go when they're feeling down?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't read that book...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article. I did find this a little sad:

quote:
A Christian youth worker told me how he thought the cult was childish. "It's like a baby playing games," he insisted. "Those people are holding on to a dream that will never come true," he said.
It bothers me when people of faith expect their own beliefs to be accorded respect but are readily willing to belittle the religious beliefs of others.

So what if, scientifically speaking, it is fairly clear to outsiders how John Frum's followers' beliefs came about? Some followers of religious traditions that are of considerably longer standing get all bent out of shape when someone dares suggest that there are historically-based rather than supernaturally-based explanations for the origins of their belief system. Yet they are all too quick to do to other belief systems exactly what they are offended by when it is done to their belief system.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, said youth worker is quite right, in the same sense that the kettle really is black.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Said.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they do a Survivor from that island?
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

In the 70's, I think it was, a member of the Cargo Cult was brought to a modern factory so he could *see* that cargo was constructed, not granted from heaven.

He left with the conclusion that we have places called "factories" for catching the blessings of heaven before they could get to *his* people.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A snake in paradise
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's um. Wow.

"Further violence" is a bit scary, that a minor religious war could ignite there. The idea it will last a thousand years, though, seems a bit pessimistic.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, further Christian persecution of minor sects.

Also, I think it is presumptuous to call them a cult and refer to Christianity as a religion.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
It bothers me when people of faith expect their own beliefs to be accorded respect but are readily willing to belittle the religious beliefs of others.

I, sadly, have to agree.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Clarification: I, at least, call them "Cargo Cult" because it's a proper name, not because I want to classify them as a cult, whatever that means.

[ February 17, 2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Will B ]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still haven't read that book...
Read it!! It's terrific.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You know...the followers of "John Frumm" have a point. But so do the followers of Prophet Fred.

The return of "John Frumm" (with attendent lucrative blessings) is probably inevitable. But the cargo cult really does need to move with the times, the next coming of "John Frumm" is probably going to be of the fairly conservative Christian variety.

A dream? More like a nightmare. But it's going to come true, one way or the other.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.