FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm doing a scrapbook on ghosthunting and I need you.

Author Topic: I'm doing a scrapbook on ghosthunting and I need you.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm creating a scrapbook for my ghost hunting anthropology project and I am looking for stuff like stickers and other 2-D decorations, or slightly 3-D, that I can use to bring alive my scrapbook. The thing that I find most difficult is finding anything related to ghosts that isn't too trick-or-treat for this project. Can any of you guys give me ideas or give me links to things I can use? The scrapbook pages are black, by the way.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I'm having problems finding non-"cutesy" things, too. Have you ever seen the show Ghost Whisperer? The opening credits have kind of a creepy feel to them and are done mostly with images made from or to look like old, turn-of-the-last-century portrait photographs. (If you haven't seen it and want to, you can watch the show here.)

Similarly, other "supernatural" shows I can think of {The X-Files, Medium) tend to have kind of an abstract-image/disconnected/distorted thing going on for their opening credit sequences. So it's probably not much help, but maybe you can get a style idea from some of that? Black and white, grainy photos of places that look like you would hunt ghosts or objects that might be "haunted" (an old, creepy tree stump, things like that), blown up and photocopied, could be glued on to a scrapbook page and then journalling could be done with that as a background, is my first idea.

Again, probably not helpful, sorry. I'm not good at the scrapbooking thing.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're in graphic design anyway, my advice would be to find images you like and get custom stickers made at CafePress.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an animator...

EDIT: I'm good with making images in PhotoShop anyway and I was thinking that CafePress could be a good option, but that could also wind up being very expensive. XD

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Meh, not that much more expensive than buying branded stickers retail. I've always found stickers to be somewhat horrifyingly expensive.

HA! HA! HORRIFYING! AND IT'S A GHOST PROJECT! GYAHAHA! HAAAA!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Meh, not that much more expensive than buying branded stickers retail. I've always found stickers to be somewhat horrifyingly expensive.

HA! HA! HORRIFYING! AND IT'S A GHOST PROJECT! GYAHAHA! HAAAA!

-._-.

dot dot dot

EDIT: I guess I agree with you there, but I don't know if I'd be able to get die-cut stickers in Cafe Press...

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I found this set, which is kind of what I'm looking for. I'm having a hard time finding things that are as serious looking as this one, though.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Die cut, not so much. Edit: But you could still get them printed and cut them yourself?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Hmm, I could cut them myself with an X-acto knife, but I wonder how good of a job I'd do.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to get them printed if you have a decent laser printer. You can get transparent sticker paper and do it yourself, and if it's transparent it won't matter as much if you cut it perfectly or leave a little "wiggle room."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I have a color ink jet printer. :'0
That doesn't sound too laser-like.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think there might be some transparent sticker paper that works with ink-jets, but I'm not sure.

I'll go check.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, they do. They even make glow in the dark and holographic inkjet sticker paper.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

WoO0oo00oOO...that seems interesting...
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
You might investigate New Orleans on the web -- they have ghost tours. Don't know much more about it than that, though.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of anthropology class is this?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
the Ghost Head Nebula (Hubble telescope sticker)
The Ghost indie band sticker
some neat stuff in the Ultimate Sticker Book: Glow in the Dark: Haunted House (new = $6.99, used (?) from $0.49)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Print images on vellum paper and try to find an adhesive that doesn't show. Or print images and put the vellum paper over to soften the images.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
What kind of anthropology class is this?

Well, it's just an anthropology class...
For my project, I have to make an in-depth study of a micro-culture, and I chose the ghost hunting culture.

I've got lots of ghost hunting activities already set and ready to go, it's the presentation of the project that is worrying me a little because that is basically what the scrapbook is.

There were two parts to this project, one of them is already past and I got 100% on it plus some extra credit.

The first part is observing the micro-culture and for that I went to the Whaley House and Campo Santo Cemetery in Old Town San Diego.

For my final project, I have to actively participate in the micro-culture; become a part of it. Hence I'm going on a whole bunch of ghost hunting adventures.

On March 3, my friends and I (of course I'm not doing this alone [Angst] ) are stepping into the Whaley House at night (with permission from the city, of course!) and afterwards, we're walking to the cemetery I mentioned which is about a block away. I'll be taking an audio recorder (for EVP), a miniDV camcorder, a 3mp digital camera and perhaps a polaroid instant camera.

For my second trip, my mother and I will ride the Amtrak to San Jose where we will both attend a tour of the infamous Winchester Mystery House.

For my third activity, I'll have a nice conversation with the leader of the San Diego Paranormal Research Project regarding ghosts and all that stuff that only a hard core member of this micro-culture could know.

For my fourth and final activity, I want to do something that I've always wanted to do. Have the camera on record and point at the screen. So that an endless loop of record is created. When you are recording, it looks like static, but when it's played back it looks like nothing you've seen before.

Further Reading:

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
some neat stuff in the Ultimate Sticker Book: Glow in the Dark: Haunted House (new = $6.99, used (?) from $0.49)

Holy crap, I love you.

EDIT: I found this one too. Ghosts Glow in the Dark Sticker Book

[ February 21, 2007, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Glad to have helped.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.