FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Avatar: The Last Airbender"
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
i feel like there were some important parts, but a lot of the season so far is fluff. being the last season i was thinking it would be more into the main storyline. how can they end it all this season at this rate, assuming the Book of Fire is the last one. also, when do we get to hear Iroh talk?? im still looking forward to hearing how the new guy fills in. next episode should be good when they meet that new bad guy.

I haven't seen a single episode of the new season so far as I want to want to watch the whole thing in quick succession after it finishes, but my guess (and fear) is that they plan to milk more seasons out of the material, hence why the new season my not feel as intense as the previous two...

Hopefully this isn't the case, but come on, if the show is the definate success that it has been then how in the world would Nick NOT continue it with the same characters in some way. It goes against the law of tv business or something.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I love Avatar, but this should be the final season. Plotwise, it just makes sense. One of the things that makes Japanese anime better than American cartoons on the whole is that most anime shows have a set length (usually 26 or 52 episodes) and tell a story with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Most American cartoons, however, just keep on going and going until ratings drop and they get canceled, usually with no actual ending or closure. I really don't want that to be the case with Avatar.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 10765

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I got stuck on this one at a friends house. Her five year old watches it and I do too whenever I babysit him.

I think it is well drawn and I like the plots for many of the epis.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of the things that makes Japanese anime better than American cartoons on the whole is that most anime shows have a set length (usually 26 or 52 episodes) and tell a story with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Most American cartoons, however, just keep on going and going until ratings drop and they get canceled, usually with no actual ending or closure.
I usually find the opposite to be true. But maybe I'm just thinking of a few popular anime series (DBZ, Pokemon, Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha) that may have several story archs but are never able to let go and just end it before it becomes drawn-out and overdone. My experience is that most American cartoons are episodic and so they should just end when the audience stops caring or the writers run out of jokes. (I'm basing that on a few Nickelodeon cartoons that I like and shows like "King of the Hill" or "Futurama").

As for Avatar, all that I've been hearing is that this is the final season about Aang. But it seems the network and the creators are planning to go ahead with other series set in the Avatar universe. It seems like a good solution since the writers get to tell the story they want and the network has a chance at another money-making show that will come with a ready-made fanbase.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I usually find the opposite to be true. But maybe I'm just thinking of a few popular anime series (DBZ, Pokemon, Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha) that may have several story archs but are never able to let go and just end it before it becomes drawn-out and overdone. My experience is that most American cartoons are episodic and so they should just end when the audience stops caring or the writers run out of jokes. (I'm basing that on a few Nickelodeon cartoons that I like and shows like "King of the Hill" or "Futurama").

Yeah, that's why I said "most". Many of the anime series that make it big in North America are ones like DBZ or Naruto that have hundreds of episodes, but that is because they are based on long running mangas. I'm pretty sure that most anime series that air have set lengths like I said. They're either scheduled for 1 full year or half a year, ie. about 52 or 26 episodes.

quote:

As for Avatar, all that I've been hearing is that this is the final season about Aang. But it seems the network and the creators are planning to go ahead with other series set in the Avatar universe. It seems like a good solution since the writers get to tell the story they want and the network has a chance at another money-making show that will come with a ready-made fanbase.

That could work. Aang's story should finish this season, but more can be done in the Avatar world.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, i just finished watching eps 10 and 11 i think. the 2 part special about the invasion. it was amazing. all the characters really shine, even a few we werent expecting to see from the first two seasons. Zuko didnt have a big part in the special, but what he did was really something. by far the best 2 episodes of the series. umm, if you are waiting until it airs in America, I think it is the 30th.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Even more so than in previous seasons, my favorite characters are Zuko and Uncle (that's who he is in my head, heh). I think it's because the stories involving Aang&Crew took a turn for the serious and grim at the end of season two, but they've flipped completely back to more of a children's story angle with them.

Much of it centering around Katara being an idiot. "Ewwww, I can't learn blood-bending, it's not nice!"

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

well, i think she will use that ability again. she can only use it during the full moon, but i think we wouldnt have gotten that ep if she wouldnt use it again out of necessity.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the big Black Sun invasion episode and WOAH! There was some stuff I didn't like but there were plenty of those great moments that just make you wanna cheer.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

yeah. best hour long special the series has had so far. I wish i knew when the following episodes are going to air. everywhere i look is still TBD.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I've been somewhat dissatisfied with some of the childish angles of Avatar-and I think this is because of the juxtaposition between Prince Zuko's much darker story alongside Aang's relatively lighthearted, straightforward one.

Reading the latest Naruto manga* put me in the mind of my favorite heroic epic stories are the ones that have some darkness, some really gritty and unpleasant stuff, and the more standard good triumphing over evil never-say-die stuff of childish fantasy.

To me, Zuko has that, but Aang...just doesn't. But I still like Aang, and the show, he's just not my favorite character anymore. Heh, perhaps it's just his voice!

----------

Spoilers concerning latest Naruto manga:

Jiraiya is dead, killed by the leader of Akatsuki. He had a pretty damn good death as far as heroic comic deaths go, I think. I have to admit, the story seems heading for a heroic-tragic ending for the eponymous character, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's done.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.