FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Higher Power of Lucky not gracing libraries, despite being the dog's bollocks

Author Topic: The Higher Power of Lucky not gracing libraries, despite being the dog's bollocks
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't find a thread on this, so I'm staring one. I would like to know what you think about it.

Story here.

Basically, this year's Newberry Medal winner, “The Higher Power of Lucky,” by Susan Patron, is getting more than iot's share of bruhaha because it contains the word "scrotum."

I find myself torn between two impulses. On the one hand, I would like to know what the citizens of Hatrack think of it. Is this yet another sign of the American Cultural Apocalypse? We can't have the word "scrotum" in a book for kids because... because... Americans excell at violence and pretending we don't have sexual organs? Should it have said "dingle"? Because heaven forbid that children learn correct words for things-- it might be embarassing!

Seriously, I know a guy who gleefully took his four-year-old to a movie where a young man had his ram and legs cut off, then burst into flame, yet he wouldn't want him to read a book with "scrotum" in it.

The competing impulse is to wander around singing,"Scrotum, scrotum, scrotum! It's a doggie's scrotum!" (To the tune of "Rawhide")

[Evil Laugh]

Also enjoyable: Neil Gaiman's take on it.

[ February 21, 2007, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get your link to work. [Frown]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You said "dingle". *giggles*

I'm curious as to why a Newberry book that says "damn" would be stocked but not one that says "scrotum." Aren't they about equally objectionable to some? (Actually, isn't scrotum, being a medical term, less objectionable?)

(Of course, having said that, I looked it up and all three of my local library systems have multiple copies of it.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
“This book included what I call a Howard Stern-type shock treatment just to see how far they could push the envelope, but they didn’t have the children in mind,” Dana Nilsson, a teacher and librarian in Durango, Colo., wrote on LM_Net, a mailing list that reaches more than 16,000 school librarians. “How very sad.”

Behold the power of idiocy.

[ February 21, 2007, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... leaving me wondering what [men's] genitalia have to do with a dog's bollocks, and whether the lady in question has actually read the book she's trying to stamp out.
Exactly. And the way to handle the question if asked is to say, in a neutral tone, "It's a body part." If pressed, "it's a body part in a private area, and you can ask your parents if you want more details." I frankly doubt that -- given a neutral reaction -- most kids who don't already know (and aren't trying to get a rise out of you) would pursue "scrotum" any further than they would a "glabella."

[Re: Neil Gaimon's article]

Check out his link to a list of other scrota in children's literature. [Smile]

Thanks, Olivet.

[ February 21, 2007, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day.

I wouldn't consider the use of "scrotum" inappropriate at all (especially since she used the -right word-, for heaven's sake).

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for Pete's sake! I had no idea that this was a forbidden word. I'm losing patience.

There. Now it's lost. I hope you're satisfied.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I fixed the link in my first post. (Thanks, CT! [Kiss] )

I suspected kq and many other reasonably conservative Hatrack parents would find this as silly as I did. Of course, I was more embarrassed when I heard my oldest refer to a private part as a "wienie" instead of "penis." Sometimes I think I'm the only mom around here who actually corrects stuff like that.

ladyday, I am sorry 'bout the song (not! [Evil] ) but I had to share.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
This line cracked me up:

quote:
“I don’t want to start an issue about censorship,” she said. “But you won’t find men’s genitalia in quality literature.”

It sounds like we're using them as bookmarks in our leatherbound copies of "Sense and Sensibility."
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Honey, can I watch the game?'
'No! Hold my place!'

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

[ROFL]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Also [ROFL]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
A teammate of mine once got a penalty for using the word 'scrotum' in a call. I really need to show this to her.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
This line cracked me up:

quote:
“I don’t want to start an issue about censorship,” she said. “But you won’t find men’s genitalia in quality literature.”

It sounds like we're using them as bookmarks in our leatherbound copies of "Sense and Sensibility."
Hahahaha. It reminds me of a hilarious quote from Red Dwarf.

quote:
(Lister and Cat are playing Scrabble. Cat lays down all seven letters across a triple-word score)
Lister: What? "JOZYXQE"? That's not a word!
Cat: Sure it is! It's a Cat word.
Lister: OK, what's it mean?
Cat: It's the sound you make when you have your sexual organs trapped in something...
Lister: Is it in the dictionary?
Cat: Well it could be, if you were reading in the nude and you close the book too fast..

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, I was more embarrassed when I heard my oldest refer to a private part as a "wienie" instead of "penis." Sometimes I think I'm the only mom around here who actually corrects stuff like that.

Of course, when parents are having the "we call it by its real name" talk, they ALSO need to have the "private parts are private conversation" talk. I can not tell you the number of times I have heard where I live (and all the California moms teach their kids "correct" terminology) "Mommy, I hurt my penis!" or similar yelled out across the playground... Not that it embarrasses me, but it caused a lot of snickering amongst the older kids.

[ February 21, 2007, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, bless you, Olivet.

This has led to the most hilarious Mormon literature connection and thus blog fodder.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just plain silly. OTOH, this is the best way I can think of to get children to read a Newberry winner.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there an ad for eczema medicine at the bottom of this page?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Never thought I'd see the word 'bollocks' in a thread title at Hatrack. [Evil Laugh]

As for the book, kids should know what things are really called, so they don't get caught out in the playground.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I never thought I'd be called "conservative", either. *giggles*
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
kmboots, Storm, this is another case of "I'm really glad I'm reading this when no one else is in the room" - my outburst of laughter would take a lot of explaining...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]

I got kmboots to shout "penises as bookmarks! penises as bookmarks!" on the train today.

rivka
Member # 4859

You were on a train with kmboots today? [Confused]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

We were on the phone together (she was going home), and I could hardly hear her. Thus the shouting.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ahhhh.

I was wondering which of you had had the nerve to leave town without notifying Hatrack. [Wink]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hee hee
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
People on the train looked at me funny. And scootched away.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I drive near a school, I'm going to roll down my window and shout "scrotum", just so the kids get used to the word, and can read the dang book.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not getting eczema ads; I'm getting Dove ads. Maybe it changed?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Well, I was in der hinterland and missed it, but Charles Coleman Finlay had a scrota poetry contest last week. Here is the blog entry with the stand-outs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.