FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nice animation

Author Topic: Nice animation
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
At least to me:

http://aimediaserver.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520

Pretty fascinating that that's whats going on inside of us right now!

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
That was amazingly beautiful.

Although I had a hard time figuring out what exactly was going on...

Here's something that you guys may enjoy as well. [Big Grin]

Link

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
In the beginning, I did recognize the phospholipid bilayer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phospholipid_bilayer )

And it did look like there was some protein synthesis somewhere in there ... But I'm not sure what all the other things are

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
What were the objects which looked like they were walking?

Did I see some nucleotides pairing off in there?

It boggles the mind...

[ February 21, 2007, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the walking things were enzymes stepping their way down DNA or RNA. I think the rings are messenger RNA. I could be wrong about both of these things. We definitely need a director's commentary track to let us know what's going on. I found the whole thing amazing and gorgeous. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So... that was animation based on electron microscope photos? It wasn't actual footage of the inside of a cell, right?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Right. That's not possible. It was a simulation based on what we know.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy. Gorgeous.

Commentary would be wonderful.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Did we not have a thread on this awesome animation a few months back? Maybe not. It is extremely cool, neh?

How it was made. More.
Video with audio commentary/explanation. More.

Some more cool cellular animations (a bit freer with the poetic license than the other one).
These are more scientifically accurate, and pretty cool. (They need music, though. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh wow, rivka, thanks! That one with commentary was a lot longer too, I think. Those are great! Thanks!
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the links. It's all new to me.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. We watched this in AP Biology earlier this year. The musical version was more entertaining, but less edjakashunal.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the rafts.

I just squished my arms, and imagined all the little rafts going crazy on a wildly tossed sea [Smile]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
Hmm. We watched this in AP Biology earlier this year. The musical version was more entertaining, but less edjakashunal.

Yeah, I think the ideal way to view it would be first the musical version, then the narrated, then the musical again.

Too bad I don't teach bio any more.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the narrated version, I realized how much cellular biology I've forgotten. Quite a lot [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.