FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Civil War #7 *minor spoilers*

Author Topic: Civil War #7 *minor spoilers*
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Appropriate that Mark Millar wrote this...this was the -ultimate- anti-climax.

So...the point of the entire mini-series was that super-hero slug-fests are bad, and that Captain America's "A" really does stand for France?

Oh, and Millar shows off his fresh, rapier-sharp wit by reviving the Dan Quayle/JFK joke.

Heck, so what if it's 19 YEARS old?

Other than Captain America being put in jail and the New Avengers becoming "X-treme RebelZ", did this series -really- change anything?

Well, I suppose Speedball becoming a depressed masochist might be something... [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose "The Initiative" might be a semi-interesting idea, if they go somewhere with it; the concept of competing super-teams funded both by private corporations and public governments (from local to federal) is an intriguing one.

But, yeah, this was just stunningly meh. Which is a shame, because I still maintain that the idea had real potential.

(Did you see May get shot? Big whoop. They always kill Aunt May. Heck, that story was just done in the Marvel Knights version of Spider-Man, pretty much. And why was last month "pick on Rhino month?" That said, I've decided I love the Cable vs. Deadpool version of the Rhino.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Of All Fools
Member # 3841

- posted      Profile for Lord Of All Fools   Email Lord Of All Fools         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I suppose Speedball becoming a depressed masochist might be something...
What? What? Speedball is one of my favorite heroes! They can't make him emo! That's like making Spiderman rich!
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If Speedball is really one of your favorite heroes, Scott, I strongly recommend that you never ever read any of Civil War. It will make you angry like the Hulk.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The bad thing is I heard Joss Whedon gave them the idea for how to end the Civil War. If it's true, I'm confused, as I wouldn't expect such an anti-climactic end from Whedon.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, here's the thing: the end was perfectly in keeping with what we know of the heroes themselves. Captain America would look up and feel guilty about property damage.

So why did it take until the end of the miniseries for this sort of thing to occur to him?

Other unanswered questions: DID Tony Stark profit unlawfully from this situation? What wound up happening with the allegations of torture and wrongful abduction? Did they actually start applying criminal process? Why would the government's hired supervillains suddenly stand down just because Captain America told his people to? And for that matter, did all of his crew turn themselves in, too, and wait for the amnesty offer, or did they run like heck?

I fully expect some of the later one-shots to answer these questions in unsatisfying ways.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If this was Ultimate Cap, I could accept the ending. Ultimate Cap is just a doofus bully dimwit soldier.

One expects more from mainstream Cap, though.

If the general public scared and buildings shattered is what it took to get him to stop, he really would've ceased well before issue #1 was over.

[ February 21, 2007, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No kidding. Heck, he even had that same conversation during his meeting/fight with Tony in that one-shot (which was completely ignored by the dialogue in #7, probably because this whole miniseries has been a mess of delays and right-hand/left-hand errors).

This month's Invincible rocked, though. And I even liked Powers, although I feel a bit guilty about it.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Invincible is always good.

(Yes, even when it had that weird Science Dog issue.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.