FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Collected White House Jargon

Author Topic: Collected White House Jargon
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Every administration or political party likes to develop its own lingo. I thought we could collect some of the rhetorical gems the White House has given us or otherwise popularised in these past two terms. To start us off:

Axis of Evil

Coalition of the Willing

Weapons of Mass Destruction

War on Terror

Mission Accomplished

Embolden the enemy

Staying the course

Surge™

The New Way Forward

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here.

Compassionate Conservative

If you want to count campaign lingo, I think one of the more famous ones from 2000 would have to be: Lockbox.

For President Bush I:

No New Taxes

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That last one is incorrect -- or at least incomplete.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"Read My Lips: No New Taxes"

To be more precise. Does that really make a substantive difference?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're so young . . . [Wink]

Yes. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Just curious, in what way?
rivka
Member # 4859

One evokes the correct image, and one does not. Actually, the "read my lips" was far more mocked and mimicked by comics and pundits than the "no new taxes" part.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The "no new taxes" part is what his opponents latched onto in 1992 to help him lose the election.

But I'll cede the debate to my wisened elder. [Wink]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The "no new taxes" part is what his opponents latched onto in 1992 to help him lose the election.

When people wonder why there's no compromise in politics, they should remember that particular episode-- it's a glaring example.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Reagan:
"Well, there you go again."

Clinton:
"Define 'is'."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When people wonder why there's no compromise in politics, they should remember that particular episode-- it's a glaring example.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, Jim. Could you explain?

I wasn't old enough to get a real good grasp of the situation for Bush I which probably makes it so I don't get how compromise works in here.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

<old codger>
Welp, it was a long timne ago... but...
</old codger>

Bush promised no new taxes. The Democrat-controlled congress (along with some Republicans I'm sure) pressured Bush into a tax bill and he capitulated. There was a big, bi-partisan signing heralding the cooperation and end to gridlock... and, as has already been pointed out, the Democrats repeatedly hammered on how "Bush broke his promise". It was easily the most audible piece of their 1992 campaign and was absolutely run into the ground by almost everyone-- it even appears in two separate Disney movies ("Aladdin" and "Hercules").

When this is the reward for political compromise, is it any wonder the two parties don't?

I'm sure this isn't the only example, but it's the most glaring one in my memory.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! The War on Terror is "THE GLOBAL STRUGGLE AGAINST EXTREMISM."

Beware, extreme cheese cheetohs!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.

A kinder, gentler nation.

A million points of light.

Morning in America.

There you go again.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

Evil empire.

The rule of law.

Tippecanoe and Tyler, too!

Ma, ma, where's my pa? Gone to the White House, ha, ha, ha.

The buck stops here.

Military-industrial complex.

It wouldn't be prudent.

Whip Inflation Now!

I am not a crook.

My fellow Americans.

Right-wing conspiracy.

The most ethical administration in American history.

The four freedoms.

The Great Society.

During my service in the United States in Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not have sex with that woman!

I feel your pain.

I've committed adultery in my heart many times.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey, Al Gore WAS instrumental in creating what is today the modern internet.

And I think we're getting maybe away from the original thrust of the thread (though maybe not). I think Euripides was talking about the Bush White House's love of slogans. Every news cycle has a slogan that EVERYONE in the Executive Branch gets on board with, and then HAMMER it into our heads, as opposed to the mostly one liners that are being listed.

Jim -

It wasn't just Democrats that jumped on him, Republicans turned it into a feeding frenzy during the Republican primaries. Personally I think he did the right thing, and I wouldn't have punished him for it, but then, I would likely never have voted for him in the first place, making my support rather useless.

Look for lingo and jargon that you hear oft repeated during campaigns and presidential terms.

rivka
Member # 4859

And a chicken in every pot!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"That last one is incorrect -- or at least incomplete."

[Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, ok.

A chicken in every garage, and a car in every pot.

Happy now?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Very. [Big Grin]
Will B
Member # 7931

Reporting for duty.

Secret plan. (Nixon, Kerry)

The best and the brightest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_slogan

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bartlet For America.

Let Bartlet be Bartlet.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ike!
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:

I think Euripides was talking about the Bush White House's love of slogans. Every news cycle has a slogan that EVERYONE in the Executive Branch gets on board with, and then HAMMER it into our heads, as opposed to the mostly one liners that are being listed.

Yeah, that was the original intention, though I'm happy for the thread to drift of course; it's always interesting to see where these discussions lead.

I just have to marvel at the consistency with which the White House staff adopts a new catchphrase. The similarities between the government press organisations and commercial advertising agencies are remarkable.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

I hadn't heard The New Way Forward.

I had heard Mission Accomplished. Not from the White House, of course.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It, like those backdrops they always use behind him when he gives a speech, DID work for the first four years.

I credit Jon Stewart, and those like him for pointing it out every time they do it, and stringing together clips of Administration officials all saying the exact same thing. I never realized before those montages how coordinated it really was. Now it's just a joke, and we all know it. Yet they still keep trying...

The New Way Forward is their new plan for Iraq. We're about to turn the corner again. Hey! That's one you forgot Sean, "We've turned the corner." We've turned that damned corner so many times we're back where we started.

Euripides
Member # 9315

Oh yeah, I did forget that one.

And it only takes 3 turns!

quote:

I credit Jon Stewart, and those like him for pointing it out every time they do it, and stringing together clips of Administration officials all saying the exact same thing. I never realized before those montages how coordinated it really was. Now it's just a joke, and we all know it. Yet they still keep trying...

Very true. And those montages pointing out the glaring inconsistencies (e.g. the Guvnah Bush vs President Bush debate) are also very helpful.

[ February 22, 2007, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope Stewart is just as scathingly effective in critiquing the next Democratic president. I really do.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Chances are good that he will be. Like he said on Crossfire, the "absurdity of the system" is what gives him the most material. I think he meant it.

He has been taking bipartisan potshots recently too, such as ridiculing the extent of Obamania.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

CT - Have you been watching? Democrats have had the Congress for like a month and he's been hammering them for things left and right. Mostly I think he's just pissed that Democrats aren't doing a better job, and aren't more together, so he's taking out his frustrations on them.

I don't know if it's an even split or not between Republican and Democrat, who he spends his time making fun of, but it's already there. I have little doubt in 2008 that he'll do the same thing. During the 2000 election and the 2004 election he spent a lot of time dissing Gore and Kerry.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No -- haven't been watching. Good to know. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, politicians are some of the most hilarious people on earth and Stewart is a smart man with a smart writing crew, he'll be fine regardless of the administration.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
POTUS.

FLOTUS.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The original Campaign Slogan:

Medicine Man: They Volcano God be very angry. We must sacrifice one person, throw them in Volcano, make all good.

Henny Caveman: Take my wife, Please.

(May have originally been said by George Burns, then stolen by Henny Caveman. Researchers are not quite sure.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:

Jim -

It wasn't just Democrats that jumped on him, Republicans turned it into a feeding frenzy during the Republican primaries. Personally I think he did the right thing, and I wouldn't have punished him for it, but then, I would likely never have voted for him in the first place, making my support rather useless.

Whippersnapper! you were what? 3? that's the problem with you kids today... you don't listen to anything your elders tell you and then bam! you're out breaking the law, playing weird dance dance games, and using laser pointers and cell phones in the movie theater... (you're going to the "special hell" for that one!)

Why back in my day we... uh... well... we watched a lot of MTV, knew Tom Hanks was funny, and thought the graphics in "Tron" were amazing... so there?

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Remember America, I gave you the Internet and I can take it away." —the #9 item on the "Top 10 Rejected Gore-Lieberman Campaign Slogans," read by Al Gore on the "Late Show with David Letterman"

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.