FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you find Hattrack? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How did you find Hattrack?
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife [who was at the time my gf] was addicted to hattrack when I met her in 2004. I think at some point in 2005, there was a thread about India / Hinduism that Jac wanted my opinion on... I ended up posting using her account as it seemed a more reliable form of communication than chinese whispers...

I'd been following threads every now and then since, but didn't sign up for an account until Feb 2006 when I wanted to reply to a post about Iran, and I didnt have access to Jac's account...

There's my story, what's yours?

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to, or heard of, this place you call "Hattrack". What's it like and why should I leave "Hatrack" for it?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Shoulder chips, loudly wail,
As the topics we derail,
And the Ha'track goes brawling along.
In and out, hear us shout,
Counterpointing all about,
And the Ha'track goes brawling along.

And it's you! he! she!
With verbal artillery,
Shouting opinions proud and strong.
For wherever you go,
You will always know
That the Ha'track goes brawling along.

[ February 24, 2007, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That's hysterical.

I found Hatrack via Ender's Game. I signed up on a whim one breezy November morning, but didn't end up posting much of anything until the following February.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was bored at work and surfing the web looking up authors that I liked, seeing if any of them had websites. I'd heard of Card's site before, but it had been long enough ago that it was an AOL exclusive thing. I found the place, found the forums, and pretty much devoured them, going back and reading the archives at Big Mouth Lion, which Hatrack had just (as in the week or so previous) migrated from. I didn't register until I read a post by dmichael that was just begging for refutation, though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Hatrack because of blacwolve. [Smile]

Plus, Hatrack is the reason your dear wife and I met in the first place! And the reason I know you, Abhi!

Crazy, isn't it?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I have never been to, or heard of, this place you call "Hattrack". What's it like and why should I leave "Hatrack" for it?

It's a place for all those people who pronounce it wrong. As to why you should leave Hatrack for it . . . well, you shouldn't.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
HaTrack.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

pssh corrct speling is overated.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hopped over to Hatrack from Nauvoo. But I don't think I've ever been to Hattrack.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Hatrack on my own after reading the Ender series and Songmaster and had some comments to get off my chest. Was blown away by the hospitality and intelligence of the people here and stayed ever since.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up because of OSC's comments in one of the Alvin Maker forwards. I checked it out right away, but I had never participated in a forum before...hell, I didn't even have a computer of my own....so I didn't sign up right away. Or at least I didn't post right away.

I kept logging on at my parents house using their computer, and I was impressed with the sense of community here.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
to answer seriously I'll just quote Noemon.

quote:
I was bored at work and surfing the web looking up authors that I liked, seeing if any of them had websites.
That was it. But what kept me here were the conversations and the community.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I explained how I found y'all in my Intro Thread.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also found it in OSC's notes at the end of one of his books. I started at the Young Writer's Forum though, and it took me a few years to venture over to the "grown-up" side. [Razz]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to aggree that OSC's notes at the end of his books really got me interested in him as a person. I guess it really is as he says about the power of stories.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my creative writing classes in my first year of college, a couple students mentioned this site (although not the forum specifically). So towards the end of the semester, I checked it out. I've been here ever since.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to follow up and see if anything had come out since Ender's Shadow, searched Orson Scott Card and this was the first site that came up. Found the forums and started playing...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I first read about Hatrack in one of OSC's afterwards in a Bean book. I lurked for a few months, forgot about it for another several, and then jumped in when I compiled that crazy-*** list of book recommendations.

I enjoy reading OSC's forwards and afterwards. Though I remember disagreeing with his thesis on Center powers (in that afterward which mentioned Kenzaburo Oe's work).

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for Al           Edit/Delete Post 
I found Hatrack because I like OSC's work. I found it thoughtful and imagined that the same would be true of Jatraqueros. For the most part, I was right. I was originally attracted to the 'All We Atheists' thread, read a bit and couldn't contain myself; got the shakes; had to post.

What I would like to know -- has anyone ever changed an opinion because of a Hatrack thread? I have saved a few threads that I put a lot of thought into. I reread one I started -- way back in 2001 -- on legalizing drugs. I found it rather depressing: the intransigent positions of most. Perhaps it was just the subject matter. Is enjeeo still about?

I still remember with fondness the Mac vs PC thread. What passion!

Posts: 237 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

Yeah... I have a confession to make... I've never read a single sentence of fiction written by OSC.

I read some of his criticism of Pomo fiction, and it made me not want to read any of his writing... for fear my pomo Gods will punish me.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I fell in love with Ender's Game in (I think it was) 8th grade. I found this site after googling Orson Scott Card, when onto the parachat first, talked to some people there, and then registered here (under a different screenname then this one). That was like 2003 I think. But before I started posting here I posted on Ornery. Then I got sick of Ornery and came here and we've been living happily together ever since. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for Al           Edit/Delete Post 
My connection's fault that I posted twice. Not a case of GIGO, promise.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A little birdie told me.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Was actually looking for somewhere to hang my coats and scarves and, well, hats too, I suppose.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I signed up because of OSC's comments in one of the Alvin Maker forwards. I checked it out right away, but I had never participated in a forum before...hell, I didn't even have a computer of my own....so I didn't sign up right away. Or at least I didn't post right away.

I kept logging on at my parents house using their computer, and I was impressed with the sense of community here.

Ditto, except for the part about logging on at my parents house.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an ad for the Hatrack River website in the back of one of his books. It may well have been EG, but it's been long enough that I can't remember. I found the forum, saw what it was about, registered and haven't left yet.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you pronounce of "Hatrack"?

Ha_track

or

Hat-rack

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always pronounced it hat-rack.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to, for when I try, it's a mix of the two and comes out hash-rack.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't remember how I found the site. I used to read OSC's sites on Prodigal and then AOL, so I probably googled it. But Google probably didn't exist then so I "yahoo-ed" it I suppose.

What's really embarrassing is that I regularly checked Hatrack.com for several years (and even got email notices when it was updated) before I discovered the forums.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I turned left at Greenland.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Ha_track

Yeah, like that.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
* Liked Ender's game
* Read more of OSC's work and found some of the right-wing/religious content a bit off-putting. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable/interesting enough to continue
* Eventually decided to investigate more about the author and his beliefs
* Found Hatrack, found it a good counter-point to my normal science fiction forum which is more technical and left-wing/non-religious in nature

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
I really don't remember how I found the site. I used to read OSC's sites on Prodigal and then AOL, so I probably googled it. But Google probably didn't exist then so I "yahoo-ed" it I suppose.

Actually, Yahoo's search engine was driven by Google in those days... yahoo didn't have their own search program :)
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I remember knowing that OSC had a place on aol, but I never participated in it. I think I went there once. I found the BML forums in the fall of 1998 and devoured the whole archive. I'm pretty sure I posted a bit, but I don't remember on what topics. And then the "new forum" started up and the rest is history.

Al,

quote:
What I would like to know -- has anyone ever changed an opinion because of a Hatrack thread?
Not immediately, but over time I've begun to see some things differently, in part because of hatrack threads. Sometimes my opinion remains the same, but a thread causes me to look deeper into why I believe what I do. Sometimes my outlook changes because of other influences or experiences and I think back to a relevant thread. Hatrack has certainly helped me become a more thoughtful and well-rounded person.

When I think about it, I never even participated in most of those threads that have influenced me. So here's my (inadequate) thanks to those who have put so much thought and effort into composing their brilliant arguments and revealing so much of themselves: thanks, all! [Smile]

Rabbit,

quote:
Hat-rack. It's a thing you put hats on. You know, a rack? for hats? K, thx.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ha-Track.

Why? Because it's easier to say than Hat-Rack.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Plus it sounds mysterious...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How is "Ha-track" easier to say than "Hat-rack?" I'd think it'd be much harder to consciously mispronounce something.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Ha-track makes me think of laugh track.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Maybe it's easier because it's easier on the tongue to blend the 'tr' than do 't' then 'r'?

I'm sticking with the 'non-word mystery' of it all...

: )

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually say Hat_rack, but sometimes I pronounce it as spelled in the thread title -- Hat Track.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just finished rereading Ender's Game; I read it the first time in about 6th or 7th grade, then happened upon it again one way or another at school.
Once I'd finished I though to myself, "There's got to be more books by this guy!", so I Googled him up and found this place.

Still, I don't post alot, only when I can find time.Ü

quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
Yeah... I have a confession to make... I've never read a single sentence of fiction written by OSC.

I read some of his criticism of Pomo fiction, and it made me not want to read any of his writing... for fear my pomo Gods will punish me.

I think it's pretty amazing, actually. How many other authors web sites have members who've never even read their books?
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha-Track for me.

I found it a few years ago. Must be seven by now, it was in 2000. I was working on a book report where I needed some information on the author, so I searched a bit and came up with Hatrack. I thought it was really nifty and browsed a bit. A few months later I signed up here.

I kept continuing in the Young Writers section, but after its discontinuation resurrected this account and have been mostly lurking ever since.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

For me "ha" is a very odd and even difficult syllable to pronounce. At least it is when the "a" is like the one in "hat" or "apple". When it's like the "a" in "ah" or "omelette" (wait, that has an "a"?) it's very natural.

And, come to think of it, the "tr" in "track" is really pronounced more like "chr", at least in most American accents. Weird. I think it has to do with the asinine "r" sound we use.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The "t" in Hatrack is more of a glottal stop than an actual t sound for me.

I found Hatrack by looking for it--I figured OSC had to have a website. I got hooked on "Uncle Orson" long before I ever ventured over to the forums.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I was given Ender's Game and The Golden Compass for my birthday when I turned 14. I read The Golden Compass first, but the description for Ender's Game kinda put me off- aliens were never really my thing. But she insisted it was a good book, so I read it and got hooked. I finally got around tor eading the intro and the notes at the end, and he mentioned people on the forums at his website helping him out. So, I decided to check it out. And after lurking for a few months, I joined.

Uprooted, I pronounce it that way too.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about an Ender's Game movie and ended up here. I still stand by my original assertion that Haley Joel Osmond should get the part.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Ha_track

or

Hat-rack

I personally like Ha_track. [Smile]
But when I say it I guess it sounds like Hat-track.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Having owned several hatracks in my life, I say hatrack. I've never heard the word "hatrack"-- as in a rack you hang your hats on-- pronounced any other way, although I've heard all three pronunciations for Hatrack.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.