FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Justice League" movie!

Author Topic: "Justice League" movie!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please oh please...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Chloe Sullivan be their secretary/dispatcher?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Man, I hope not!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't mind the big three being in it, I hope they don't hog the spotlight in a Justice League movie. I like to see the smaller heroes in the Justice League just as much.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Atom, Doll Man, Shrinking Violet, Iota...hmmm...how many "small heroes" does DC have? [Big Grin]
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like this smaller hero?

(Boy, does that ever take me back)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot. Puffy beat me to it while I was typing and finding a suitable link.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Hooray for taking things literally! [Big Grin] You guys know what I meant though. Not that I'm opposed to the Atom on a team. He's cool too.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i have it on first hand that one of the guys up for green lantern is a _very_ handsome man. i hope it all works out.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that link would be to "Inch High: Private Eye"

I love the late 90's Justice League cartoons... if it has that kind of feel, it'll be great.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I love the late 90's Justice League cartoons... if it has that kind of feel, it'll be great.

...unless you're talking about the reruns of Superfriends on the Cartoon Network (which I hope you aren't!) there were no late-90s Justice League cartoons.

(The Bruce Timm-designed Justice League and Justice League Unlimited both came out well after the 90s.)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Who would you pick as the villain(s) for the Justice League movie?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The Legion of Doom, obviously. [Razz] Actually, I think it'd need to be someone big, like Darkseid. Although Darkseid is a bit hard to explain in movie format.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm....I wonder if that movie will work out. I don't know why I'm more suspicious of it than other recent comic book successes. I guess here's the thing: The recent comic book movies have done well, not because they drew comic book fans who wanted to see their heroes on the big screen, but because they drew in the rest of us.

I watched the X-men movies (but didn't care for the third one), the Batman movies (but didn't care for most of them) and the Spiderman movies (so far, so good). The things I've liked about the ones that went well were the strong character aspects -- the heroes themselves dealing with challenges that have arisen because of their power.

Can you do that with a Justice League movie? Maybe. But it's going to be harder just because there are so many heroes. They managed it with X-Men, but then again, they focused each movie on specific, newer X-men. The Justice League, as I understand it, consists of heroes who are already heroes, already confident in their power.

Or, to put it another way, if the movie is just about a bunch of comic book superheroes thromping evil, I'm not interested.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Christine, the cartoon does a very good job of watching their personalities bounce off of each other. Especially fun is watching Superman and Batman and the tension between them.

PT, I could have sworn they started in '99, but yes, I mean the newer ones, currently running on Boomerang.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Justice League began in 2001. Justice League Unlimited began in 2004.

Batman Beyond was the one that started in 1999.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Although Darkseid is a bit hard to explain in movie format.

Superman: The Animated Series managed to explain Darkseid (and the entire New Gods concept) in under three minutes, thanks to having a "Mother Box" montage. [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Especially fun is watching Superman and Batman and the tension between them.
I like the episode where the robot absorbs everyone's powers, and batman pulls out kryptonite to stop it.

Wonder woman asks, "Do you always carry that?"

Batman: "Just in case."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Christine, the cartoon does a very good job of watching their personalities bounce off of each other. Especially fun is watching Superman and Batman and the tension between them.

That may be true, but I was thinking of something a little deeper than strong personalities bouncing off of each other. That can create a source of amusement for sure, but it will be more meaningful to the people who are familiar with the comic book world or even just the cartoon series. There are a lot of different strategies that can make a movie like this successful, but I am sure it will fail if they count on their audience already knowing the characters. The movie has to stand alone.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Really, I doubt coming up with a good story will be an insurmountable problem, here.

Budget and casting will be the real problems.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
No New Gods in the first movie! No Darkseid, no mother boxes. Save those for a sequel. Because for the New Gods to be done right, they need too much attention for it to be the movie introducing us to the JLA.

And of course, that would set us up for another sequel--my biggest pie-in-the-sky, not-gonna-happen fantasy ever--a film version of Cosmic Oddessy.

As for a plot for this movie? There are tons of stories that would work. Off the top of my head, I'd go with Grant Morrison's New World Order storyline. I know it doesn't showcase a specific DC villian, but that's okay. It still shows them going up against unbeleivable odds, and keeps the focus on the heros.

The Starro storyline would work for the same reason--it gives even more screen time to the heros, since they'd also be playing the "bad guy" parts a lot of the time.

Worry about villians in the sequels.

The other smart thing about this? They haven't screwed up movies with most of these people yet. If, say, an absolutely terrible Flash movie had come out and tanked, it would decrease his chances for appearing in this movie, or decrease the exec's belief that another movie with him should be made at all.

This way, they make the movie, and whichever characters end up standing out amoung the fans become the obvious first choice for stand-alone movies.

I'm excited.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
No New Gods in the first movie! No Darkseid, no mother boxes. Save those for a sequel. Because for the New Gods to be done right, they need too much attention for it to be the movie introducing us to the JLA.

Dude, it took three minutes. [Wink]

And Grant Morrison's White Martian story? Ugh...no...hardly his best JLA story.

(Not his worst either, but there were plenty better ones.)

docmagik
Member # 1131

I'm not saying it would take too much attention to explain them. I'm saying it would take too much attention to showcase them.

Let the first movie showcase the JLA.

I didn't say NWO was the best--it just came to mind as a storyline that managed to say about the League, which is what I'd like to see.

Which storyline would you push for, if we were adapting an existing storyline?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

New Frontier would be great, but it's already being done as an animated feature.
docmagik
Member # 1131

The AICN has clips from the Justice League TV pilot. I'd never seen these before.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31683

Hi-larious.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
batman pulls out kryptonite...

Wonder woman asks, "Do you always carry that?"

Batman: "Just in case."

From a later episode:

Batman: What would stop you from doing what the Lorder Superman did?
Superman: There's always that kryptonite you carry around.
Batman: You don't get to joke! Not today! I just took a bullet for you.

or my personal favorite:

Batman (to Wonder Woman re:Superman): The next time I listen to him I want you to hit me.
*Wonder Woman raises an eybrow*
Batman: Hard.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What JL show is that? I need to watch it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Justice is for the weak minded
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Which line-up would you use?

I realize this largely depends on the story they tell and when in the team's history the film will take place.

I would use:

Superman- The first film has to have the DC Trinity, I think.
Wonder Woman- Ditto.
Batman- Perhaps keep the romantic tension between Bruce and Diana that the cartoon established? [Cool]
Martian Manhunter- Maybe just call him J'Onn. Despite him being the most obscure out of the League founders, I think he's a genuinely interesting character.
The Flash- Barry Allen, darn it! Much as I like Wally, it's high time Barry got a chance to shine.
Green Lantern- Hal Jordan, John Stewart, or heck, even Kilowog would be fine by me. No Guy Garder, at least in the first film. And no Kyle at first either. [Razz]

Now here's where it gets difficult. I loathe Aquaman, for the most part. Unless Mark Waid's take from JLA Year One was the version chosen, I say leave him out.

For the seventh slot I would toss the names of Hawkwoman, The Atom, Zatanna, and Black Canary into the ol' fish bowl and pick whoever came out.

Save for sequels: Everyone else, except perhaps in cameo.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I think it should be done just like the cartoon series, but live action.

Lisa, were you asking for episodes for my quotes.... or just unaware of that particular version of Justice League in general?

Lisa
Member # 8384

The latter. I know there's a Justice League cartoon (or more than one), but I always just assumed that it'd be of SuperFriends quality, so I kept my distance. Your quotes sounded excellent, though.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Superfriends is to the 2001 and later Justice League cartoons as Adam West's Batman is to Frank Miller's.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Really, I doubt coming up with a good story will be an insurmountable problem, here.

Budget and casting will be the real problems.

I think that depends on what you mean by good story. I think making a good, believable story is going to be the biggest problem this movie has to overcome.

Consider that in a 2, 2 and a half hour time frame, you have to introduce the characters to an audience who mostly doesn't know them, get that audience to take the reality the movie's set in seriously, and introduce a plot that challenges the characters in the movie in such a way that it makes the audience care.

I think the temptation to do an Indepence Day, to just have the movie be an excuse for big effects and ignore the story is going to be very hard to overcome with six supers roaming around.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

Consider that in a 2, 2 and a half hour time frame, you have to introduce the characters to an audience who mostly doesn't know them

...mostly doesn't know Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman?

I can see it for the other characters, but those three (along with Spider-Man) are among the best-known super-hero characters in the entire world.

And yeah, I don't think writing a story will be impossible. If they can turn a franchise as convoluted, complex, and character-heavy as X-Men into at least two decent movies, then a more basic, old-school hero team like the League should prove very doable. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

more greatness:
quote:

Hawkgirl: That's fast.
The Flash: Yeah, fastest man alive.
Hawkgirl: Which might explain why you can't get a date.
*Hawkgirl leaves.*
The Flash (dawning understanding): Hey!

It's currently running on Boomerang at 11pm eastern, M-Th, and I can't confirm, but I think 9pm eastern on Friday.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Superfriends is to the 2001 and later Justice League cartoons as Adam West's Batman is to Frank Miller's.

Really? I can't believe I've been missing it.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

Consider that in a 2, 2 and a half hour time frame, you have to introduce the characters to an audience who mostly doesn't know them

...mostly doesn't know Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman?

I can see it for the other characters, but those three (along with Spider-Man) are among the best-known super-hero characters in the entire world.

And yeah, I don't think writing a story will be impossible. If they can turn a franchise as convoluted, complex, and character-heavy as X-Men into at least two decent movies, then a more basic, old-school hero team like the League should prove very doable. [Smile]

I mean, get to know them in the movie. [Smile] And your point is actually in my favor than in yours. People vaguely know them, but making them human alone, much less in a group, is going to be a challenge, I think.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I was expecting X-Men to be mentioned, and you are right, but on the other hand I think that the X-Men, both as a concept and within their universe, are a lot easier to write a good story for. After all, Superman by himself could probably take out all of the X-Men. Bring in five other supes and to really threaten them, you're almost going to have to bring a Galactus level of threat down, and that means basing the movie around that threat, and that means an emphasis on visual effects.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. [Smile]

(Personally, I wish the Wonder Woman movie would get done. I'd love to see what they do with that character in film. So many possibilities that could be explored.)

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So, this TV show you're talking about -- is it the same one as Justice League Unlimited?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Which line-up would you use?

I realize this largely depends on the story they tell and when in the team's history the film will take place.

I would use:

Superman- The first film has to have the DC Trinity, I think.
Wonder Woman- Ditto.
Batman- Perhaps keep the romantic tension between Bruce and Diana that the cartoon established? [Cool]
Martian Manhunter- Maybe just call him J'Onn. Despite him being the most obscure out of the League founders, I think he's a genuinely interesting character.
The Flash- Barry Allen, darn it! Much as I like Wally, it's high time Barry got a chance to shine.
Green Lantern- Hal Jordan, John Stewart, or heck, even Kilowog would be fine by me. No Guy Garder, at least in the first film. And no Kyle at first either. [Razz]

Now here's where it gets difficult. I loathe Aquaman, for the most part. Unless Mark Waid's take from JLA Year One was the version chosen, I say leave him out.

For the seventh slot I would toss the names of Hawkwoman, The Atom, Zatanna, and Black Canary into the ol' fish bowl and pick whoever came out.

Save for sequels: Everyone else, except perhaps in cameo.

Well now that I know you don't like Aquaman I know I can't trust your opinion anymore. [Razz]

I like your main line-up though. It seems like an almost definitive Justice League. As for a seventh slot, I'll say Zatanna is cool. I'm not as fond of Hawkwoman (or Hawkgirl), but the Atom and Black Canary are okay, I guess. I'd also suggest Green Arrow, primarily because I like the character but also because he could have good interaction with Hal as Green Lantern. Also if Black Canary is there, there's even more interaction with Ollie around.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
So, this TV show you're talking about -- is it the same one as Justice League Unlimited?

Justice League Unlimited, if I recall correctly, takes place in the same universe, but later. Call it a sequel, if you will.
Lisa
Member # 8384

According to this, it's the same show. So it's been cancelled? According to that page, the last episode was last May.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yeah, I think it's finished... and Unlimited was an expansion of the original show.

Boomerang is a satellite network that runs cartoons in syndication. If you have direct TV, you probably get it. If not, there are, apparently, DVDs at your link. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.