FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your re-reads? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your re-reads?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I just thought of another one: Jumper by Steven Gould.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to add:

The Chronicles of Narnia
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
A Song of Ice and Fire
Coraline
and recent addition Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell in hardback on the discount rack for $4.98. I'm looking forward to reading it!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Also:

Hart's Hope
Everything's Eventual
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
The Underland Chronicles
The Chresthomanci Series

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
I think the Silmarillion has one of the best colletions of stories in all of literature.
>_<

UN-read-able.

I can't fathom that, I usually read it in a single sitting. It's gripping!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A book is not on my favorite list until I've read it two or three times.
I so agree! I get most of my books from the library, and only buy them if I know I'm going to want to read them more than once.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I re-read everything I finish. That's where the books really go through the wringer... I mean, I know what to expect, and so it gets harder and harder not to get analytical with each re-read, noticing things, resenting the little 'tricks' the authors use. But yeah, I don't consider it a favorite until I re-read it... I re-read author's, not individual books, too. So, pretty much anything by Zelazny, Lindskold, or Card, I'll definently re-read. Those are the ones who, time and time again, even after noticing their flaws, their mistakes, their 'tricks', I *still* love their books.

Also, I read the 'Newberry Gold Winners' (Or silver, if it's good enough. <Wink>) over and over again. They're children's books, but I love them. They're so good, and they have the benefit of nostalgia. I think 'The Witch of Blackbird Pond' and 'Calico Bush' are the ones I read the most.

I don't know if it's a Newberry winner, but I usually find myself re-reading 'Where the Red Fern Grows'... Most of the time I stop right after he wins the contest. I cry everytime, to this day, if I finish it.

PS: A Newberry Honor book is a special way of honoring a children's book... We (my family) bought a collection of 'Newberry' books, the subject matter of the books ranging from a wide variety of topics and historical periods, and those are the first 'real' books I read. It's the John Neberry Medal. I think that's the official name.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
I think the Silmarillion has one of the best colletions of stories in all of literature.
>_<

UN-read-able.

I can't fathom that, I usually read it in a single sitting. It's gripping!
Even though I love it now, I CAN fathom it being un-readable. When I was in middle school, my brother (5 years my senior) waxed eloquent of the stories in the Silmarillion, particularly the segment depicting Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth, and so I decided to give it a shot...

I couldn't get past the first five pages. It reads like the Old Testament, at least at the beginning.

Anyway, no offense to Icarus intended, it was a good four years before I took another crack at the Silmarillion, and it paid off. As a budding musician, I was intrigued by the use of musical allegory as a quasi-history of Middle Earth, and many of the stories resonated more deeply with me. Nevertheless, it took a high level of perserverence to wade through some of the more arcane turns of phrase that Tolkein used.

I wouldn't call it UN-readable...just...difficult to read. But well worth it!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
There are few books that I ever want to reread. Among those that I do, OSC seems to top the list. Something about his work that I can reread and reread and not get bored.

Ender's Game
Worthing
Treason
(the two above at least yearly)
Lost Boys
Maps in a Mirror

Stephen King has several anthologies of short stories that I like to go through and reread, catch the stories I didn't before.

I was a big fan of Guns of the South but never reread that book. Maybe I should.

And of course, the entire NARNIA series. I reread the series every few years.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lost Boys
That's one of the few I can't reread. Not anytime soon, anyway. My boy just turned nine.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
There are few books that I ever want to reread. Among those that I do, OSC seems to top the list. Something about his work that I can reread and reread and not get bored.

Ender's Game
Worthing
Treason
(the two above at least yearly)
Lost Boys
Maps in a Mirror

Stephen King has several anthologies of short stories that I like to go through and reread, catch the stories I didn't before.

I was a big fan of Guns of the South but never reread that book. Maybe I should.

And of course, the entire NARNIA series. I reread the series every few years.

How could I have forgotten Worthing Saga?!?

Lyrhawn, that is HIGH on the list of great Card. Read it!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to add: The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I was never a big fan of the D&D books, but that trilogy was soooooo good.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
When I pick up a good Asimov (particularly the Robot and Foundation series) I can't put them down, never mind how many times I've read them before.

I also tend to re-read Card's books.

The Lord of the Rings is a natural.

There's a bunch of rather random ones as well: various YA authors (Diana Wynne Jones, William Sleator, etc), a couple of the C.S. Lewis books (particularly Mere Christianity, and Screwtape Letters).

I don't re-read books as often as I used to. But I still catch myself doing it every once in awhile.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.