FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You Are Wrong Because...

Author Topic: You Are Wrong Because...
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I was paging through Scott Adams' The Joy of Work and came across a section titled "You Are Wrong Because" that details the most common arguments made by irrational people.

I got quite a laugh, and saw so many of them directly in the light of Hatrack. I thought I'd share a handful that I thought had particular application...

quote:
Amazingly Bad Analogy
Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick. Therefore, you can train a potato to dance.

Faulty Cause and Effect
Example: On the basis of my observations, wearing huge trousers makes you fat.

I am the World
Example: I don't listen to country music. Therefore, country music is not popular.

Ignoring Everything Science Knows about the Brain
Example: People choose to be obese/gay/alcoholic because they prefer the lifestyle.

The Few are the Same as the Whole
Example: Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are hypocrites.

Generalizing from Self
Example: I'm a liar. Therefore, I don't believe what you're saying.

Argument by Bizarre Definition
Example: He's not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

Ignorance of statistics
Example: I'm putting ALL of my money on the lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

Substituting Famous Quotes for Common Sense
Example: Remember, "All good things come to those who wait." So don't bother looking for a job.

Irrelevant Comparisons
Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

Circular Reasoning
Example: I'm correct because I'm smarter than you. And I must be smarter than you because I'm correct.

Incompleteness as Proof of Defect
Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't address the question of why there are no unicorns, so it must be wrong.

Ignoring all Anecdotal Evidence
Example: I always get hives immediately after eating strawberries. But withouta scientifically controlled experiment, it's not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries every day, since I can't tell if they cause hives.

Ignoring the Advice of Experts Without Good Reason
Example: Sure, the experts think you shouldn't ride a bicycle into the eye of a hurricane, but I have my own theory.

Taking Things to Their Illogical Conclusion
Example: If you let your barber cut your hair, the next thing you know he'll be lopping off your limbs!

Here is a link to the full list.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
If you let your barber cut your hair, the next thing you know he'll be lopping off your limbs!

[ February 26, 2007, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm outside your paradigm and you lack the understanding to argue from my perspective
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Argument by Bizarre Definition
Example: He's not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't know it already, I can't explain it to you.

(So of course, I win.)

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Overapplication of Occam's Razor (Which says that the simplest explanation is usually right)
Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"If you don't know it already, I can't explain it to you."
If I don't already know it, your statement is false.
If I don't already believe it to be true, your opinion is wrong-headed.
If I'm too lazy to research your statements, your thesis is both false and wrong-headed.

[ February 26, 2007, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:
I'm outside your paradigm and you lack the understanding to argue from my perspective

Are you making fun of me?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Bill O'Reilly could point out what is wrong with that book. It is probably just a elitist leftist book designed to make our precious youth give up their morality in the name of "logical discussion". And it is working. Look at the positive reaction it is getting from Hatrack!! [No No]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
you are wrong because I am right
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Evil is in the eye of the beholder
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading Scott Adam's books in high school, they were always quite amusing, and back then to my high school brain even thought provoking.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked in a cubicle-farm for the last 9 months, his humor has started to hit a little closer to home. But that list just screamed Hatrack to me, so I had to post it.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.