FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Beeps On Boot-Up - any ideas?

Author Topic: Computer Beeps On Boot-Up - any ideas?
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my computers has started locking up right after it is turned on. Before it even starts the boot process, a long, continuous beep sounds, and it does nothing. It locks on the first boot screen, and shows a message that says I need to go into BIOS to set the correct CPU speed.

It only does this sometimes. Sometimes if I restart it, it will start like normal. Today, however, I went to restart it, and it just kept giving me the same message. I went into BIOS to check the CPU speed. It is not overclocked, I have never done that. The speed was set to auto. I tried starting after checking it, but it still said to set the correct speed.

So, I set the CPU to slower than what it's supposed to run. It is an AMD Athlon 2000+, and now I have it set to run at about 1.7 ghz. After I did this, it started up without complaining.

I fear this means my processor is dying. I've had this computer for almost 4 years. Any other ideas?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with my emachines POS. I had to open up the case and reseat the power switches, then it worked. It's happened again a few times, so I've left the side off the case so I can get to the switches faster.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Overheating? Dead power supply? The beep makes it sound more like a power supply problem than a heat issue. Does your computer smell at all? (Acrid, smokey, like ozone, whatever?)
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Hope its the power supply or keyboard.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.csgnetwork.com/amdprocspeedcalc.html

note: AMD processors run at slower speeds than their numbered rating. basically your 2000+ actually runs at 1.66 ghz. (could be part of the problem)

others that I've run into were when I had either bad RAM chips or RAM that wasn't seated properly

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
As TheGrimace pointed out, the regular speed for an Athlon XP 2000+ is 1.66 GHz. I'd check the power supply first; I believe a failing power supply can screw with the CMOS and cause it to lose the BIOS settings for the CPU speed.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
So to sum it up: It's almost certainly not your processor. Most likely your power supply. And fugu's link should help you figure out what the beep means.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.