FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It took a year and a half, but... TRIUMPH!

Author Topic: It took a year and a half, but... TRIUMPH!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Annie being the bright girl she is, decided to "study Japanese" by changing her Google account language settings in the summer of 2005.

It took until now, but I did it! I read:

quote:
お問い合わせいただきありがとうございます。 Google アカウントの表示言語を変更するには、Google のインターフェース言語を変更する必要がありま 377;。 変更するには、Google ホームページにアクセスして、検索ボックスの右 596;にある [表示設定] リンクをクリックします。 ページ上部の [表示言語の設定] のプルダウン メニューから希望の言語を選択します。 最後に、ページの右上にある [保存] ボタンをクリックします。
and I switched it back into English. (ahhh... the relief!)

It wasn't so bad. I could muddle my way through most of it, but I did manage to mark my entire spam mail folder as legitimate and move it to my inbox. Oops.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
This shows how much I need to renew my study of Japanese. I could read a little bit of that, but not tons.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go on taking the plunge! Don't stop now, it can leave you just as fast as it took you to cram it all in!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I can read a little bit of that, too. Mostly the parts that say "Google."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the 377? I got that part too...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's full of katakana, so it's kind of like cheating.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Hey, don't steal my thunder by pointing out that katakana is like cheating and that it says some obvious things (like arigatou gozaimasu). [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The good thing about polite Japanese is it's so repetitive and makes you look smart.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about *adjusts glasses and strokes goatee in a contemplative pose*. [Big Grin]
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I "study Russian" by having my gmail in Russian. It's been going rather well, I think. I still need to experiment before I find my outbox and such. It does help though.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I used to think I knew how to "study a language." I had never studied a character-based language.
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
that's better than me. my idea of "studying" welsh is googling an online translator and writing down random phrases.
ex.: What's up?: beth y dy i fyny

Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Actually, one of the most effective ways of studying I've found is to listen to pop music in that language.

I mean, I practically speak Romanian now. (numa numa ie...)

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Ba nu.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happysmiley:
that's better than me. my idea of "studying" welsh is googling an online translator and writing down random phrases.
ex.: What's up?: beth y dy i fyny

Ble mae car Dafydd?
Mae car Dafydd yn yr afon. Stori drist iawn.

Yes, that's an actual example of some Welsh I learned in class.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I wish I knew Welsh, all I can read in that is "Dafydd".
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know Japanese, and I could read about 30% of that. Yay for Chinese characters!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ditto for me & Chinese, Zev - I love it. [Smile] I'm like "I have no idea how to say this, but this says child... love.... body... use..."

The best was when I was writing a thank you card for a Taiwanese friend and I wanted to write "thank you" in Chinese so I called my friend Jenny who is Chinese and speaks English but not Japanese and she described the characters to use - "First, you say say, then body, then inch." It came out right, I think.

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Hey, don't steal my thunder by pointing out that katakana is like cheating and that it says some obvious things (like arigatou gozaimasu). [Razz]

Hehe. I can't read a single Japanese character, but even I know what "arigatou gozaimasu" means from watching anime.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.