FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly. Serenity. Browncoats. Publicity.

Author Topic: Firefly. Serenity. Browncoats. Publicity.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Some key words to pique your interest. I believe that I read earlier today on www.FireflyFans.net Taht tomorrow, March 1, 2007 there is a plan to download the first episode of the Firefly series: Serenity, from itunes. The cost of the episode is 2 dollars, and the idea behind the mass buy is to push firefly to the top sales page of itunes, making it more visible and creating more buzz about the show. Fireflyfans is currently down, so if anyone can validate what I just said, please do so. Support the cause, 'cause no power in the 'verse can stop us.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love that show, come one. That bird has flown.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo. Sounds cool. If that can be validated, then I'll remember to do that tomorrow. Two dollars is chump change when it comes to bringing more publicity to such a great show.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
mph you party pooper. [Razz]

Yes, it's true.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
mph you party pooper. [Razz]

Yes, it's true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

At least I can credit you with honesty.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
The site was up briefly. It is confirmed, do it today, March 1st. Even if it is just to spread the word, and let more people enjoy the show, it is worth 2 dollars in my mind. I know i've gone and watched some firefly after a bad day and felt better, and giving that to someone else is worth my two dollars. So let's see how it goes. Also: remember to post to livejournals, myspaces, facebooks, other forums. Get the word spread however you can.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I agree with MPH on this one. If everything that has already come to promote Firefly and Serenity hasn't convinced people to look into it, I don't think having it be at the top of iTunes for sale, yet again in yet another place, is going to push anyone anymore than the fact that it's still in the top 50 at Amazon after all this time, or than the marketing campaign for Serenity, and ALL the efforts of Browncoats over the last couple years.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree as well. I would never buy something because it is at the top of iTunes. I did however, watch Firefly as soon as I found someone who had the DVDs, but that was thanks to all the promotion disguised as conversation here at Hatrack. [Smile]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
On Whedon's blog he mentions OSC's current comments on Browncoats.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What ARE OSC's current comments on Browncoats?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Look towards the end of this week's column:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2007-02-18.shtml

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
On Whedon's blog he mentions OSC's current comments on Browncoats.

...to be more precise, on a blog devoted to all things Whedon-related, C.A. Bridges mentions OSC's current comments on Browncoats.

(I'm with MPH, by the way.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yup. He's a double agent! [Angst]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I can have two obsessions, you know. I have layers.

And I don't agree, sorry. Literally just yesterday I loaned my Firefly DVDs to a coworker after hearing she loved BSG but had never heard of Firefly. There are still people to reach, and until cast members or Joss start dropping there's always the chance, no matter how small, of more Firefly.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The direct to video movies that Stargate and Babylon 5 are putting out give me the most hope. If they sell good, someone may consider Firefly from how well that has sold.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Looking at the comments over there made me sad. [Frown]
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great that this is being promoted more, but I definitely don't want this going in the direction of another season or another movie. It just wouldn't be the same... and it would be almost too sad to watch.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, mph. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wonder, after all the hype, after all the spreading of Firefly throughout the world by it's loyal fans (myself included).

How well would it do if they were to bring the show back and start off from the episodes there are, continuing as if nothing happened? What kind of ratings would it get now? Maybe if Sci-fi picked it up? (which I think they should, chacnes are everyone who watches BSG or Stargate has either heard of it or would love it). Maybe USA?

What would happen to the Browncoats if they achieved their mission, only to have it flop again? I don't know. Personally I'd be disappointed in the US television viewing community, a group of people I already hold very little faith in.

I still appreciate the efforts of all those trying to bring the show back. I worry that after so long, trying to bring it back now, with all the hype and glorification, it might be hard for Whedon to make something that will live up to the expectations of the fandom. But I'd still love to see it brought back, no matter how slim those chances remain.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I worry that after so long, trying to bring it back now, with all the hype and glorification, it might be hard for Whedon to make something that will live up to the expectations of the fandom.
I so agree. The show never had a chance to jump the shark, and it has become the perfect dead wife which no show can live up to.

Not even itself, no matter how good it might be.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem with Firefly was its name. People who would have enjoyed the show (like me, who later did on rerun after a friend recommended it to me) had no clue what the show was about, and thought it was something mystical or chick-flickish, and never once tuned in during its run. So I tend to believe there is a great fan base out there for Firefly and Serenity yet to be built up. It is very simple. We need to get the word out that Firefly is a type of spaceship used by adventurers and small-time traders, and Serenity is the name of one such spaceship with a particularly rogueish crew.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Norbit" has made $74 million dollars so far, a fact that has managed to lower my already dim view of the viewing habits of the American people as a class. But you gotta keep trying...

Re: the comments at Whedonesque. I can't see that they're any different from the comment-storm we had over here over the same essay. I would consider myself a diehard OSC fan with the highest regard for his writing ability who is, nonetheless, in complete disagreement over some of his beliefs, and I don't think I'm alone. And there are certainly regulars here who have said outright they can't enjoy the works of an artist with views they don't agree with.

Some people can separate an artist's work from the artist's personal life, and some can't or choose not to. Fair enough, either way.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the relative lack of marketing for the show, the out of order airing of the episodes, and the erratic airing schedule were a lot more damaging, myself.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Agreed Noemon.

I find it hard to blame the name for being non-descriptive enough. Other than naming it "Smugglers," or "Rebels" or something like that, I don't know how you could make it more descriptive. I don't watch "How I Met Your Mother" because the name tells me what the show is about, I watch it because of word of mouth, actually. And I don't watch "Heroes" because of the title, I watch it because of the air time it's ads received before it started.

If people had known what it was when it was on, I'm betting it would have had more viewers. Playing it after a show like Star Trek probably would have helped too (was VOY still on when Firefly was on?), which is why I think Whedon should have gone to Sci-Fi channel with it, not Fox.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, all those things may be true, but I repeat it was the name that kept me from watching the show. It just didn't sound like something I would like. I only caught on when a friend told me about the show and recommended it to me.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I disagree about the name. Who cares what the name is? I certainly didn't.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My only reservation is that I participated in a similar blitz last time they did it, which I believe was 6-9 months ago when iTunes first launched video distribution. Seems like they should have at least tried promoting a different episode. Maybe it will sell better if they change the name to "Lightning Bug."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

For me, as a teenager under my parents rule of the remote, i didn't dare suggest we watch it because the ads made it look like just another show that emphasized girls being hot, men being macho, and did not show the witty banter one could expect, or the other greatnesses of the show.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Maybe something like Star-Renegades or Space Rogues or even Firefly-Class Starship would have worked better.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Pooka, "Lightning Bug" is not much better--it sounds like a B horror flick, set on earth among teenagers at a summer camp.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I would have assumed it was a cartoon with names like that, and would have avoided it the way I avoid Power Rangers without more information.

Those strike me as cheesy, and not good cheesy, but rather, ridiculous campy cheesy. I don't think MOST people make the final decision to watch or not watch a show based on the title. If the ONLY thing I know about a show is the title, chances are I'm not going to watch it. Though I admit it might pique my interest enough to try and find out more about it. If the show had the kind of marketing that all other new shows get, it never would have been a problem.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Maybe so, Lyrhawn. How about "Tramp Spacers," or "Misfit Spacers"? Or there's always "Star Drek." [Smile]

All I'm saying is, it was the name for me, that caused me not to have the slightest interest in it, not even enough to find out what it was about. Surely there were others who reacted the way I did.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I would suggest that the name might not have been as much of a problem had it been paired with some actual advertising to help you associate the name with something that looked interesting. But perhaps not.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Maybe so, Chris. I had no problem with "Heroes," misleading as that title is, because I knew it involved people with paranormal abilities. Who knows what I might have guessed "Jericho" was about, without advertising showing mushroom clouds. (But even then, I was almost put off because as a general rule, I do not like aftermath stories. But I could see this was well-done immediately.)
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Firefly needed more time to develop which it couldn't be given at that moment in time. Shows that are character driven need time to develop characters. If it had premiered now I think it would stand a much better chance
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH said:
quote:

Looking at the comments over there made me sad.

Everytime I'm reminded that someone I like and admire thinks I'm evil/a sinner it makes me sad as well.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pixiest: I would suggest you not take it so hard in light of that fact that at least for myself, I do not think you are intentionally trying to do something wrong.

That coupled with the fact that EVERYONE is a sinner for one reason or another to me trivializes our differences.

For at least Mormons, we believe God judges us based on what we know and how we applied that knowledge.

Well meaning homo/bisexuals easily fall into the "righteous" category.

TBH, I completely empathize with your attraction to women [Big Grin]

At least you found out for yourself that there ARE some decent men around worthy of your time and attention.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is, thank god we're turning this into a thread about homosexuality. We don't have *nearly* enough of those.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Noemon wins.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

No, no, we're talking about Firefly. In Firefly the term is "sly."
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Shiny.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.