FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 States in 10 minutes...GO! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 50 States in 10 minutes...GO!
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would've ever gotten New Hampshire. My last one with like a minute left and there was no way I was going to remember that one. What a weird state.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
45/50, 195 seconds, ave. error 12 miles. To be fair, though, I got a good random lineup with a lot of early big states. It's easy to be exact if you have some neighboring states to line up with.

yeah. I got Wyoming first!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
3:26 remaining, and only got it by singing the Animaniacs States and Capitals song in my head.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am beaming with joy over the fact that I am not the only person here to have aced all 50 states with the help of the Animaniacs.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot Louisiana. The rest of them I did in 4 minutes.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What's an Animaniacs?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
47/50 perfect, 94%, average 5 miles off, 281 seconds.

It helped that I got Louisiana first, and I got lucky placing West Virginia perfectly.

The state songs I knew predate Animaniacs, but my knowledge of the Nations of the World is definitely from there. [Smile]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
6:16 to spare, mostly because I kept misspelling Massachusetts.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
49 states with 8 minutes left. Stuck on Oklahoma till 1:19
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! 48/50, 96%, average 3 miles off, 194 seconds. I rule.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I also forgot Louisiana. I didn't get a lot of the mid-western states until pretty late, though. I didn't get Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee and Rhode Island until about 3 or 4 minutes left.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't spell connecticut. Where the hell does that c in the middle come from?

Couldn't remember Hawaii, Mississippi, and Nebraska.

????

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Finished with 3:29 left.

Nebraska, Iowa, Hawaii. Gah.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Four minutes to get all but Conetticuit, (which I remembered but took forever to spell) and New Mexico which I totally forgot and sat trying to remember.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not think of: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Wisconsin

I'm not too familiar with the interior states, so that might be why I missed Nebraska and Oklahoma. And I probably missed Wisconsin because my brain lumps it in with Michigan, with them being (sort of) mirror images around Lake Michigan.

But I have no idea why I missed Texas. It's certainly big enough.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaaahh!! I couldn't spell Illinois!! (Now I can, I think?) Other than that, I missed Missouri and Nebraska. Man, it was hard to spell Connecticutt. (That's probably wrong).
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Connecticut. One final "t". [Smile]

And yes, you've got Illinois down.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Only state I had a problem spelling was Massachusetts.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I did Massachussetts at first, and got really confused when it didn't take it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
Here it is:

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_experiment_drag-drop_Intermed_State15s_500.html

98%, 192 secs, 3 mi error. I got incredibly lucky with big states early on.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
What's an Animaniacs?

[Eek!] Was that a serious question?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got the perfect order of states. I got a 100% with 0 mile margin of error.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
What's an Animaniacs?

[Eek!] Was that a serious question?
I assume it was a TV show? I'll go further and guess that it must have been on during the late 80s or early 90s? Just because that was when I was living in Israel with no TV. I missed a whole bunch of cultural landmarks during that. Chia Pets, Quantum Leap, most of ST:TNG, Married with Children, etc.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Animaniacs was a cartoon in the 90's produced by Steven Spielberg much in the same vein as Tiny Toons. They basically lampooned pop culture while remaining cute/funny for smaller children. Gratuitous amounts of violence were current with both shows as off shoots of loony toons.

I didn't particularly like the shows man characters Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. But the Pinky and the Brain segments were a staple of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animaniacs

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Colbert can do it in 24 seconds.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Thanks, BlackBlade. Yep, I missed that entirely.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't feel bad, Lisa, I didn't know what Animaniacs was either, and I was in the U.S. the whole time.

Did anyone else miss Indiana? I was just not going to think of it no matter how long I sat there. Despite the fact that I was pretty sure it had to be somewhere in the Midwest, and I even thought I might be missing another "I" state!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stephen Colbert can do anything in 24 seconds.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
We were taught a song in elementary school, The Fifty, Nifty United States, which on principle we sung at maximum tempo. Certainly helped with this challenge.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely leaning them in alphabetical order is a plus. I can recall all 50 orally in less than 30 seconds. However having to type them and going back to fix and guess at spelling took me more than 5 minutes and even after I thought all was spelled correctly I still misspelled 14 states.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
6:48

I've found that I group them alphabetically in my head, not by geography, and I group them mostly by 3s and 4s.

4 As: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas
3 Cs: California, Colorado, Connecticut
4 1s: Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii
4 Is: Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa
2 Ks: Kansas, Kentucky
--plus another 1: Louisiana
4 Ma-s (I count Montana because of the ending): Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana
4 Mi-s: Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri
4 News: New Hampshire, New Jersy, New Mexico, New York
4 other Ns: Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota
3 Os: Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon
3 1s: Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, plus solitary Utah
2 Souths: South Dakota, South Carolina
2 Ts: Tennessee, Texas
2 Vs: Vermont, Virginia
4 Ws: Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

If I miss one, it's usually in the Ms or the Ws, and I know I can block those out by 4s, so it isn't too hard to backtrack.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Don't feel bad. I could only have named probably three or four Australian territories, and maybe half Canada's (Yukon, Northwest Territory, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Manitoba, Alberta, Yukon, PEI, Sasketchewan, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, I don't know the rest).

The full list, on the odd chance that anyone is interested:
Territories:Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut.
Provinces: British Colombia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland (and Labrador).

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Animaniacs was so ingrained in American culture of the time that most of my friends who did not have TVs knew many of the songs (especially the geography and history ones).

But yeah, living in another country does tend to insulate one from such things. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Animaniacs was so ingrained in American culture of the time that most of my friends who did not have TVs knew many of the songs (especially the geography and history ones).
I never heard of them either. Was this an 80s thing, I rarely watched TV during the 80s
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
45/50, 195 seconds, ave. error 12 miles. To be fair, though, I got a good random lineup with a lot of early big states. It's easy to be exact if you have some neighboring states to line up with.

yeah. I got Wyoming first!
Yes, There is a lot of luck with this game/test. If you get alot of states that border the oceans, great lakes, Mexico and Canada first its pretty easy. If you get states like Colorado and Tennessee that go in the empty middle of the country first its alot harder to get them in exactly the right place.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Why won;t the link work anymore?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
My last were Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
Stephen Colbert can do anything in 24 seconds.
That could be taken a lot of ways...
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it with 5:47 remaining, but I type with two fingers. I almost forgot about Delaware, Maryland, and Rhode Island.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! After practicing for 2 days, I can now do it in 2 minutes and 3 seconds. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned the Animaniacs song in school, but I couldn't remember it.

I got 49 of them fairly quickly (not compared to some of you!), but then I sat there wondering what I'd missed. I finally gave up and looked at a map. I STILL couldn't find it. My girlfriend's dad asked why I was looking at the map, I told him, and he said "You probably missed Rhode Island. Everybody misses Rhode Island."

Sure enough, that was it.

Why is Rhode Island even a state?

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I got all fifty with 9:15 seconds remaining, and I don't even know the song, either!

I'm a bit of a ringer, though. I go through everyone one of those states hundreds of times over five days a week.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
But how did you type them all in 45 seconds? [Eek!]

I mean, that's crazy.

I got 45 of them with 6 minutes to go. Took me a minute to remember Hawaii and Alaska. Took me another minute to remember Mississippi and Kansas. Finally, I plugged in Massachusetts (which somehow got overlooked when I went through New England... don't ask me how). So, had a little less than 4 minutes left when I finished.

Edit: I also just finished the map placement game with an 8 mile average miss rate. I got Illinois first, and I was about a half inch off or so, which was my only real miss.

[ March 03, 2007, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Gah! Typo on my part, FC-eight minutes and fifteen seconds. I type quickly, but not that quickly. If it were a mind-reading keyboard, however, I could probably get it done in about 20 seconds just thinking of the two-letter abbreviations.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I go through everyone one of those states hundreds of times over five days a week.

[Confused]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Private supersonic train.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was thinking Lear jet.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, it was private, now everyone will be asking for a ride. Thanks a lot!

One of the things I use my formerly private supersonic train for is transportation to one of my jobs, working for UPS, where I divide the day's outgoing packages onto different tracks before I handle the next-day air shipments, hazardous materials documentation, blah blah blah.

Maybe if my building weren't from the 1960s, it would be automated, and I could just do the other part of my job which is sometimes interesting, navigating labyrinthine federal transportation regulations for things like *ahem* biological samples.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Rakeesh! How will they know not to interbreed!

*fisheye

A fella got into trouble for that a ways back.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.