FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video Games

Author Topic: Video Games
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I want to buy something. But I don't see the point in spending a bajillion dollars on something new. Pretty much, I want to play Sonic the Hedgehog or Crash Bandicoot.

How much would it cost me to get a Genesis or Playstation 1 these days? I mean, clearly it'll be used, but I don't want to get it off ebay.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
This is like one of those threads that always appears on the GameFAQS message boards (which, if anyone cares, I post on as "OmegaM").

Anyway, if you can get a DS Lite, Sonic Advance 1 through 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, and Crash Bandicoot: N-Tranced (all for the Game Boy Advance) and Sonic Rush (for the DS) are all pretty fun. (But the Game Boy Advance version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog is very slow and buggy.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maliam
Member # 9915

- posted      Profile for Maliam   Email Maliam         Edit/Delete Post 
For sonic and crash i would say go with a PS2 yes a little more cost then a 1 but then you can play the PS Crash games as well as any PS2 also recently, well maybe not real recent but in the last year or so, they relesed a collection of the sonic games I think 1-3 or something like that for the PS2 and X-box.

Also this way you can get some newer games that are really good, such as Kingdom Hearts or the Prince of Persia trilogy, which are 2 of my three favorite series.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Isn't PS2 still like $150, though?

And the DS is the one wtih the little pen?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a PS2 through Craigslist for as little as $99 with two controllers and a few games.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Download an emulator, download the ROMs, play it on your computer.

It's illegal, but none of those systems are made anymore (PS1 and Sega Genesis), so you aren't exactly cheating the companies who make them.

Donate $50 to charity.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think we all know how I feel about illegal downloads.

-pH

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I have a Sega emulator, on which I play five different games. Three of them are games that I own on Sega, and I own a Sega, but the transformer is damaged which means you have to jury rig it to make it work, and touching it even slightly while it is working can cause it to reset. The other two games I play I don't have, have NEVER been able to find anywhere online at places like Craig's List or ebay, and thus would never be able to play otherwise.

So personally I don't feel that bad about it. I'd actually sell you my Sega if you wanted, but you'd have to probably buy a transformer from elsewhere or face the same problem. I have a PS1, and Crash Bandicoot actually, that I'd also be willing to sell you, which has no problems. I have Sonic, and Sonic and Knuckles, which you can plug Sonic into to make a fusion of the two (it's weird, and they only tried it once).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on my limited, extremely limited, knowledge of law, it used to be OK to have a ROM if you did indeed own the old version.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*getting a nintendo wii today*

I haven't had a new video game system in a terribly long time. I can actually afford to buy it myself for once rather than begging for a super nintendo for Christmas/birthday in my younger years.

I hate to brag...

Wait a minute no I don't!

*dances and brags*

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do buy a transformer for Lyrhawn's system:
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 15W // Output 10V DC 0.85A

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a used PS1 for as little as $20 or so. A genesis will probably be more.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Why is the Genesis more? Because it's older? (Is it older? I think so...)

-pH

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Genesis is a generation older and is a bit more rare (in good condition that is). Also with the backwards compatibility of the PS2, a lot of PS1's went for sale, so there's a large supply.

EDIT: If you just want Sonic games, you could always buy a used GameCube for $50 or so and then pick up the Sonic Mega Collection (which has a whole lot of Sonic games on it).

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Or wait and get a Wii. Sega is leasing a lot of it's Genesis era games to be sold as downloads on the Wii.

Look into it, I'm not sure what's on the table.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

True, true. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 for the Genesis is on the Wii's Virtual Console right now (as well as a lot of other Genesis games). More games are added each week to the VC's library. It just depends if you want to spend the money on a Wii or not.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so willing to spend money on a Wii it hurts. (My roommate moved out and took the Wii we gave him with him, gah!)
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I'd have no problem spending money on a Wii, but I'm not really willing to expend the effort to find one right now, and I don't want to buy Walmarts bajillion game bundle for $650.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you just want Sonic games, you could always buy a used GameCube for $50 or so and then pick up the Sonic Mega Collection (which has a whole lot of Sonic games on it).
Or, if you remind me, next time I go to Hammond I'll get my old Gamecube out of storage and you can have it. I haven't played it in years.

I also just donated NES, SNES, Genensis, and N64 to Salvation Army about 6 months ago. Complete with tons of games.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
But remember if you go the Wii route, its going to cost you about $8 per game you download from that generation. $10 if its N64.

Not that has stopped me from filling up my Wii with old titles [Big Grin]

I wonder if Nintendo keeps track of which games you have purchased so you can delete them and download them again later. That would help me free up alot of space.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Nintendo does have it on file what games have been purchased for your Wii. If you delete a game (on purpose or by accident), you can go back and redownload it for free. This is only if it's on the same Wii system though.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The PSOne (a Playstation with attached LCD screen) is available from some of Amazon's affiliated merchandisers for about $90. Or they list used ones for about $55.

There's a site called everysell.com that has a Nomad (portable version of the Genesis) available for $46.

Sometimes you see the older consoles in retail stores like Game Crazy and EB.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maliam
Member # 9915

- posted      Profile for Maliam   Email Maliam         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get used PS2 for as little as $99 my little brother bought one a couple months ago for that much. I think he got it at Game Stop.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a game out for the PSP that has a pretty large collection of classic Sega Genesis games. My brother has it. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 are included.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
There's a site called everysell.com that has a Nomad (portable version of the Genesis) available for $46.
Seriously!? I've been trying to get a Nomad for years! But they're always either too expensive or too broken.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in college I bought an N64 for like $25 at GameStop. Most games for it were about $3, though I think I paid more for GoldenEye than I did for the system.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Seriously!? I've been trying to get a Nomad for years! But they're always either too expensive or too broken.
I can't vouch for the site, but if you want to take a look:

http://www.everysell.com/Nomad%20sega

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How much would it cost me to get a Genesis or Playstation 1 these days? I mean, clearly it'll be used, but I don't want to get it off ebay.
Umm....why not get a nice cheap computer game?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Wii. I'm also online with it and so far I've downloaded five games. I have: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarnia of Time, Columns (for Sega), Kid Icarus (NES), and Sim City (SNES). My favorites are the two Zelda games. My least favorites are Kid Icarus and Sim City (both good games, but Icarus is too hard and Sim City I just don't play).

I plan to get more in the future! I definitly want Earthbound (SNES), Paper Mario (N64), Chrono Trigger (SNES, if it ever comes out), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Star Fox 64, the Uninvited, etc. None of those are out yet, but I'm hoping for 'em!

I only own two Wii games so far: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. Out of the games coming out this year, I definitly want Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, and My Sims! [Smile]

DF2506
" The Wii is definitly the best system I've ever had! "

[ March 05, 2007, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: DF2506 ]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.