FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The only good thing about Firefly being cancelled

Author Topic: The only good thing about Firefly being cancelled
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't take all that long to watch the WHOLE series!

[Smile]

[ March 02, 2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a downside for me. [Razz]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the best part of it being cancelled is that it will never have any bad episodes!

Then again, it will be in the role of the television show dead wife, with whom no show can ever live up to, because it is idealized and didn't have a chance to show its failings.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
And, having so few episodes, it will escape the notice of future generations.

Oh wait - you wanted an actual good thing. [Razz]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that it's been cancelled, its stars have plenty of time to devote to other masterpieces of programming like Standoff and Drive.

(although seeing Inara on How I Met Your Mother was legitimately cool.)

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding out hope for Drive. There are a lot of other great actors in it, and it's helmed by mad genius Tim (Firefly, Wonderfalls) Minear.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Pour salt in it why don't you, Strider. [Mad]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

MY future generations will certainly notice it. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I'm holding out hope for Drive. There are a lot of other great actors in it, and it's helmed by mad genius Tim (Firefly, Wonderfalls) Minear.

If this is the case, then Drive won't be on long either.

Maybe Fox should send its "groundbreaking" shows straight to DVD from now on. It would cut some of the production costs, and they don't do so well on TV anyway.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It was already starting to have bad episodes.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to its best episodes, Firefly did have some that weren't as good. "The Message" is probably the weakest, with the biggest plot holes. But compared to the rest of television it was golden. And it still had some of the best, most quoted lines (and Jayne's hat).
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ballad of Jayne

He robbed from the rich
and gave to the poor
stood up to The Man
and gave him what for
Our love for him now
ain't hard to explain
THE HERO OF MUDSORE!
THE MAN THEY CALL JAYNE!

Our Jayne saw the mudder's backs breaking
and he saw the mudders' laments
and he saw the President taking
every dollar an' leavin' five cents
so he said, 'can't do this to my people'
'can't crush them under your heel'
Jayne strapped on his hat,
and in ten seconds flat,
stole everythng there was fit to steal--
THE HERO OF MUDSORE!
THE MAN THEY CALL JAYNE!

And her's what separates heroes
from the common folk like you an' I
the man they call Jayne, turned 'round his plane
and let that money hit sky
he dropped it onto our houses
he dropped it into our yards
he dropped it onto our neighbors
one chunk hit Clem Meadows far hard
THE HERO OF MUDSORE!
THE MAN THEY CALL JAYNE!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mudsore?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it Canton or something like that?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW something was not right about those lyrics!!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
In my opinion, the best part of it being cancelled is that it will never have any bad episodes!

*cough* Out of Gas *cough*
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Was brilliant.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

agreed.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Can't help you there, I consider that one of the best.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of Gas was *the* best.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

you're on your own Joldo. Give up and join the masses.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Firefly. I love it. I have a browncoat hanging in my closet. I dressed as Simon for DragonCon.

I just think Out of Gas is dreadfully boring.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's very strange. Maybe you're just an enormous Gina Torres fan?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Gina Torres== *rowr*
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Those lyrics are wrong in a couple places. Since the title of the song is "The Hero of Canton" that part is inexcusable. It's also "The Magistrate" not "the President." and I'm pretty sure a couple other spots are wrong, but I'd want to listen again to make sure I had it right before correcting them.

Edit: I don't remember that part about Clem whoever at all. I think somebody was making stuff up.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*confused* Wasn't Clem on Buffy?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Gina Torres== *rowr*

::nods::

It is known.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It is Truth.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Off the top of my head:

quote:

I think that should be "stole everything Boss Higgins had to steal"

quote:

This shoudl be "The man they call Jayne, he stole away our pain/And headed back out for the stars"
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Off the top of my head:

quote:

I think that should be "stole everything Boss Higgins had to steal"

quote:

This shoudl be "The man they call Jayne, he stole away our pain/And headed back out for the stars"

Actually, the man they call Jayne, he turned 'round his plane, and headed back out for the stars.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't think so. That line is earlier in the same verse:
quote:
the man they call Jayne, turned 'round his plane
and let that money hit sky

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
He actually says it twice, according to this source?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't think so. That line is earlier in the same verse:

True. It is. As Tom Lehrer put it, the reason folk songs are so wretched is that they're written by the people.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

He doesn't say it twice, according to this, this, this, and this.

Interestingly, in that last link, you can see a video of Adam Baldwin singing the song from the DVD extras. He sings that line twice. I think he just got it wrong. [Smile]

[ March 05, 2007, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

On listening to the clip from the episode (thanks, Chris!), I'll grant that you're probably right.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
I like Firefly. I love it. I have a browncoat hanging in my closet. I dressed as Simon for DragonCon.

If this sentiment is not the definition of insanity or at least flawed judgment I am not sure what is.

Or perhaps you have grown up in space and frequently ran out of liquid oxygen to power your space vehicle and that episode was more or less what happened to you every time. I don't know.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If this sentiment is not the definition of insanity . . . I am not sure what is.

I beleive the desire to have your genitals removed, cooked, and served to you followed by being killed and eaten is. At least according to previous Hatrack consideration of the question.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Although, I must admit that my love for "Out of Gas" might not be as strong if I had not watched when it was first broadcast, and was still confused because I had been given almost no backstory, since Fox hadn't aired the pilot yet.
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Well both my sons have seen most of the show, I have on occassion sang "the Ballad of Serenity" to my three month old to help him sleep. But maybe i'm the only one who thinks the show is okay for kids. [Dont Know]
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Poreiro Head
He doesn't say it twice, according to this, this, this, and this.

The third link that you wrote about has the different lyrics, which seem to me to be a bit of satire especially since they call the town "Mudsore". Perhaps Adam Baldwin did forget the lyrics and repeat a line, but I like it better that way! [Razz]
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I also think that "Out of Gas" was the worst episode. It was boring. It was a freaking flash-back episode (sort of) for goodness sake! I won't go as far as Joldo, though, and call it an actual "bad" episode. Just a "less good" one.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... sorry guys I just got the lyrics by Googling it and finding it from another forum... I don't have the series on DVD so I couldn't double check the lyrics...
[Embarrassed]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a soppy and sentimental kinda guy, so I even feel 'The Message' is kinda sweet.

'Objects in Space' is just sensational tho.

Oh how I mourn the loss of Firefly.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree. The first time I watched it, I got bored. Upon rewatching marathons with friends, I'd take that episode as an opportunity to get pizza, refill drinks, or otherwise not be around.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of that episode being considered boring. For me, the two most unengaging episodes are The Message (because of the plot holes Chris mentioned) and Safe. It's been a long time since I've watched the series, though. I need to rewatch it and see if I still find it less than stellar.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I liked "The Message."
Noemon
Member # 1115

The thing that really bugged me about The Message was that it felt to me as though the characters were being forced to behave in out of character ways in order to get the plot where it needed to go, rather than the plot unfolding because of the characters interacting and responding to situations in an organic way.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: That's exactly why The Message is the weakest episode in my opinion. But if that's the nadir of the series, it makes me mourn losing it all the more.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Koga:

Well both my sons have seen most of the show, I have on occassion sang "the Ballad of Serenity" to my three month old to help him sleep. But maybe i'm the only one who thinks the show is okay for kids. [Dont Know] [/QB][/QUOTE]

My almost 10 year old wants to watch it, and I'm not *quite* ready to go there. We told him we'd make a list of eps he can watch, but onlt when his little siblings are in bed and on condition he does not tell them scary Reaver stories. Of course, to make the list, we have to rewatch the whole thing...

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is partially allowable because they are too young to get it, though the older being almost two is starting to talk. My wife assures me i will never live it down if we hear a "gorram" or "ruttin'" out of him. So i may have to not let them watch it anymore for a while.
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.