FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lunar Eclipse...

Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse...
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else catching this? How cool!!!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's completely cloudy in Dayton, unfortunately.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Bummer... It really is an amber color... The cool thing right now is that it's near the end, so the part that's coming (i guess) 'out of the eclipse' is the regular moon color. It's a neat contrast. Pretty cool how it's a full moon, too. If I had a camera handy, I'd snap some shots. Alas, all I can offer are my words...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It is really fabulous. It's wrapping up where I am -- the moon's about a third of the way back out. I totally love eclipses.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

This is the first time I can remember making a concerted effort to see it - and I'm SO glad I did. I've been cheating myself!
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I do wish I could have seen it. I love lunar eclipses.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
We missed it here on the West Coast, but we'll apparently get a really good shot of the one in August.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time it rose enough to see it, here, it was already past totality, but I watched it come out from behind the earth's shadow gradually. It was so cool! I love eclipses! It had been 2 and 1/2 years since the last one. I remember that one was really awesome.

I just adore how the fully eclipsed moon looks. It's all 3d or something. And I love seeing the Earth's shadow slowly move across the face of the moon. Did you know that the ancient Greeks knew the world was spherical for a number of reasons, but one of the big reasons was that the earth's shadow on the face of the moon is always round. By Columbus' time, everyone who was educated knew the earth was a sphere, and most of them knew how big it was, too. You can find that by measuring the difference in angle of sunlight down a well at noon at two places some distance apart that are directly north and south of one another. The distance apart in miles over the difference in angle in degrees is equal to the circumference of the earth in miles over 365 degrees. I think Archimedes worked it all out in something or other BC. Anyway, Columbus was dumb, and so were Ferdinand and Isabella! [Smile] But it's okay to be dumb if you're also very very lucky. [Smile]

Here's a really cool vid of the moon doing a transit across the face of the sun, as seen from a solar observatory in space.

Here's another really cool pic of how a solar eclipse looks from the moon.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a bus and noticed the moon at about 1/4. I had no idea there was supposed to be an eclipse, so I was really confused when I saw it nearing full when I looked out the window a little while later!

Did anyone else have a HUGE ring around the moon as well? After the eclipse was over?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
We missed it here on the West Coast, but we'll apparently get a really good shot of the one in August.

Cool. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a chance to see this one, but I have seen a couple prior ones, as well as a total solar eclipse in 1993.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I was driving earlier and was mesmerized by how gorgeous the moon was. I didn't realize there was an eclipse. I need to pay more attention to these things. [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here are some cool pictures of the eclipse of Mar 3, on the Sky & Telescope page. Looks like some of these photographers had a lot better view of it than I did. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh!! Here the eclipse was over before the moon cleared the mountains.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in NY on the way to the OPERA!
How cool is that?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to catch this on Saturday night. We were lucky enough to have a totally clear sky. I’ve never seen an lunar eclipse which was quite that dramatic - the moon turned orange and looked just like a celestial basket ball.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who missed it, a friend of mine got most of it.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Wow, flying, that's a great picture!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That just makes me want to listen to Pink Floyd [Big Grin]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.