FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CAT HELP! Anyone?? Update: resolved, hopefully! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CAT HELP! Anyone?? Update: resolved, hopefully!
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry your kitten is so sick. I know how heart-wrenching it is to have to put a pet down and all I can really say is that I'm so sorry. (((eros))) ((Manapua)) Even though you haven't had her long, I'm glad she has had you to love her and care for her.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, erosomniac.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Eros. Poor Manapua. I'm so so sorry. I know how the little critters can get into your heart.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
So it turns out the mutated form of the corona virus, IPV or somethingorother, was the killer. It makes their tummies fill with fluid, and you have to keep draining it--frequently as often as 12-24 hours later. That, rather than FeLV, was why the vet made his recommendation.

Which is good, because our other kitten tested positive for FeLV.

Manapua's asleep now. I hope she's dreaming kitten dreams.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, eros, I'm sorry.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. [Frown]

Out of curiosity, did they not test the kittens before you adopted them? At every shelter I've been to they test for FeLV before putting cats in the communal cat room.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Out of curiosity... Did you say to the vet, "So, members of an online community which I frequent told me that..." Or did you just say, "My friends came up with..." or perhaps just bring up, "Might it be an allergic reaction?"

Personally, I usually go for "I was asking some friends about it and..." Not mentioning that y'all are my online friends unless I'm specifically asked. I think it makes me seem a little less weird.

Yeah, me too. To my husband or mother I'll say "Hatrack says" or "my Hatrack friends," (*whispers* because they know) but otherwise it's "I read somewhere," "I was listening to this conversation where," "I know this guy who" and "my friends said."
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eros, that so totally sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I missed your last two posts, erosomniac, but that is horrible! I will be thinking of you two.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
We called the shelter we got them from and the mother of the two was negative for both AIDS and FeLV. They believe the carrier was a human who had pet a positive kitten before coming in to play with these two. The brother (that we didn't adopt) is being tested and we'll be alerted as to whether or not they've found the source of the virus. Hashi is still doing fine. Eros looked it up and sometimes kittens with FeLV can live up to 8-15 years without dramatic problems. Hopefully she's one of them.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I know how the little critters can get into your heart.

There's medicine for that now, you know.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I do know of a cat that has lived in the ten year range with FeLuk, and is still doing well. He is also in a home with three FeLuk negative cats who are remaining negative with vaccinations.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard similar stories. There is hope. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'd not heard of that before.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.