FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FDA-approved Murder for Fun and Profit

Author Topic: FDA-approved Murder for Fun and Profit
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Deliberately breeding deadly strains of bacteria to create a market for the next generation of patent Monopoly.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I need to write my governmental reps. I'm not a fear monger, but one of the things I'm genuinely worried about in the future is antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

We (and by we, I mean big business) are putting ourselves into a real nasty situation if we keep this sort of thing up.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scary stuff.

Does Congress have any control over the FDA or are they an independent agency? In other words, would writing my congressman do any good?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, since you don't have anywhere near the lobbying power that the Big Pharma companies pushing for this do.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
The FDA does far worse than that. As a result of this decision, somebody someday might die as an indirect result of this antibiotic use. But they still haven't banned greasy French fries, knowing full well that people will die as an indirect result of eating greasy food. And the DMV...every week the DMV grants licenses to drivers, knowing full well that thousands of people will die, each year, as a direct result of driving.

It is not reasonable to extend the definition of "murder" to include "allowing any conceivable risk to life" -- or else we're all guilty.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Will. The famed DOUBLE STRAWMAN [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Will -

Aside from other problems with your argument, there's the issue of personal choice. You can choose not to eat fries. You can choose not to drive. In this situation, you cannot choose to get sick with bacteria that aren't antibiotic resistant.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

It isn't a straw man, of course. The DMV *does* allow people license to drive, and people *do* die as a result. The people you hit when you're driving didn't choose to have you hit them. And a *lot* more people have died from auto accidents than from antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

I'm not arguing that the FDA's decision is best; not sure. But disagreeing with someone over the likelihood of a risk does not constitute murder.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can choose not to drive
You cannot choose (realistically) to avoid everyone else who is driving.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Know thy fallacies:
quote:
A straw man argument is a logical fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

It *does* require attributing a position to someone!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
You can choose not to drive
You cannot choose (realistically) to avoid everyone else who is driving.
No, but you can minimize your risk in the extreme, if you really want to. Public transportation, walking, biking, etc. The grand majority of motor vehicle deaths every year are two people driving, rather than hitting pedestrians and the like.

My point I think was made though, this is something that has long lasting long term consequences for people who have zero choice and zero ability to avoid the risk. If we as a group chose to, we could all never drive cars again. But we can't choose what we get infected with.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Will is right, of course. The proper term for his debate technique can be found here.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Deliberately breeding deadly strains of bacteria to create a market for the next generation of patent Monopoly.

This article doesn't seem to actually quote any of the statistics associated with the study... even the polio, hepatitis, and small pox vaccines can cause death amongst humans... but the risk of harm is much less than the benefits they bring to us.

Soh, simply stating that there's "a risk" is not adequate. It must be more concrete.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about statistics, but ask anyone who works in a hospital how many times they see people with infections which are resistant to all sorts of antibiotics, and it's frightening.

I took a semester of Pharmacy school, and even in that limited time, the increase in drug-resistant bacteria was stressed.

It's a very frightening topic, once you start to learn about it.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Will,
Are you okay with the FDA approvign the use of this drug in cattle? I agree that murder is an improper term, but, from what the article said, it sounds like a serious case of willful neglect of the potential consequences, which includes strains of super-resistant bacteria developing, which will kill people who otherwise wouldn't have died. That sounds like exactly the sort of the thing it's the FDA's job to prevent from happening.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick just posted more or less exactly what I'd written, although I didn't intend to address Will. For those concerned (as I am) with the FDA's willingness to approve the reckless use of this drug, here is a handy site to use to either write your representative or get their snail mail address (seems to vary from rep to rep whether they can be emailed through the site).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Know thy fallacy:
quote:
Similar to ignoratio elenchi, a red herring is an argument, given in reply, that does not address the original issue. Critically, a red herring is a deliberate attempt to change the subject or divert the argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi

I didn't change the subject or divert the argument to a new topic, so it isn't red herring, either. Whether "murder" includes taking an action that might one day risk death for someone is directly relevant to the question of whether murder includes such an action.

The reasoning isn't hard.

A. Deaths of innocents might one day result from decision X -> X is murder. (Assumption)
B. To drive is not murder (an assumption I think we all share)
C. Therefore it is not true that deaths of innocents might one day result from a decision to drive (B, C, modus tollens)
D. But deaths of innocents *do* result from a decision to drive (data)

Contradiction! One of our assumptions must be wrong, A or B.

Squicky, I don't have enough information to know if the decision is right or wrong (which is why I said I didn't know). I've merely shown that this decision is not approval of murder -- unless we agree that driving is murder, too.

[ March 05, 2007, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Will B ]

Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I don't know about statistics, but ask anyone who works in a hospital how many times they see people with infections which are resistant to all sorts of antibiotics, and it's frightening.

It's a very frightening topic, once you start to learn about it.

The no.1 reason for antibiotic resistant viruses /bacteria: people do not take the full course of prescribed antibiotics, thus leading to a mutation that is often antibiotic-resistant.

That being said, the article doesnt seem to point to anything that raises the fear of anti-biotic resistant infections.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to be the first to welcome our new Mad Cow Pneumonia-like Overlords.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abhi:
The no.1 reason for antibiotic resistant viruses /bacteria: people do not take the full course of prescribed antibiotics, thus leading to a mutation that is often antibiotic-resistant.

What's your source on that? I would imagine that the routine dosing of cattle feed with antibiotics would be at least as large of a contributor to the problem, but I haven't actually done the reading in journals and such that would be necessary for me to make a claim that X was the primary cause of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is worth noting that Europe has already approved and is using cefquinome.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
DK,
Are you presenting that as a positive thing for using it as such here? Because, as I understand it, that's actually one of the major reasons why people don't want it done here. That is, there's been a significant increase in bacteria resistant to this type of anti-biotics in Europe while resistance is rare in the U.S.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The author of the piece in the Wash. Post did an online chat for those interested.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacteria is scary, and I don't care. I'm sick and tired of this, we should be actively trying to make our environment more challenging to weed out the weak and strengthen our own species.

In short: Bacteria? Bring IT ON.

p.s. I never understood why the X-Men villain Apocalypse was such a bad guy, he only wants what's best for the species.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a very significant and legitimate concern that bacteria will evolve beyond our ability to use antibiotics on them. Theirs is a species that has survived the test of time much more completely then ours has.

I say keep researching stronger and stronger antibiotics but definitely foster alternate treatments for bacteria. I think somewhere or other we will probably hit a brick wall with antibiotics, or at least a point of diminishing returns.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

By then we'll have nanites policing the highways and byways of our bodies. This is just a stopgap measure.

DK -

So your argument is that since Europe is doing it we should do it too? What is that, international medical peer pressure? Europe isn't even the cool kid on the block!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.