FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calculator help (EDIT: Math help)

Author Topic: Calculator help (EDIT: Math help)
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to graph an equation when the message ERROR: INVALID DIM came up. How do I resolve this problem? It was working fine five minutes ago.

[ March 05, 2007, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
did the equation have an x(n) in it? If so, it needs to be written as x*(n).

what is the equation?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What brand and model of calculator?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
TI-83 plus....but I fixed it. I found the (astronomically large) manual laying around and found out how to reset everything. Works fine now (which is unfortunate, because that means I have to keep on working).
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Okay, now I need some math help. Here's what I'm working on:

1. The function,I(d)=Ae^(-kd) , gives the intensity of light, relative to the amount of light A at the surface for a given depth d in cm, where k is a constant equal to 0.0039cm^(-1). If we assume that A = 100%, I(d) will give the percent of light that remains at a depth of d cm.
a. Sketch a graph of this function. Is this a one to one function?
b. What percent of light is left at 200cm?

I'm still not getting a graph, but I don't think it's the calculator's fault. Any suggestions?

[ March 05, 2007, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
Known: A=100%, A=1 k=0.0039^(-1)

so you need to type this into the calculator:

l(d)=e^(0.0039^(-1)*x)

What are your dimensions on your calculator?

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Shouldn't it be -.0039? I've tried that, but still nothing.
Do you mean window dimensions? Because I've tried everything from xmin/xmax=-10/10 to -1000/1000. Same for ymin/ymax.

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you figure it out yet?

I think the problem you're having is that .0039cm^1 is NOT -.0039 and it is NOT .0039^(-1)cm either. It IS .0039/cm.

So the equation you want to use in your TI-83 is
y1=e^(-.0039*X)

I suggest you try a window with x from 0 to 1000 and y from 0 to 1.1.

BTW - you probably WERE getting a graph with what you had in there it probably was just y=0 so you didn't see it.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever find yourself in another situation where you tried to graph something, and it works for a while, but nothing shows up, then what you could do is go into... Math (I think, it's been a while since I used an 83), and trace, the coordinates on the bottom will show you the X coordinate of the middle of the screen and the y coordinate of the function at that point, then you just fiddle with the bounds of your screen a bit till it graphs up all nice and shiny-like. This will really help you figure out if there's an error in your equation or just bad viewing boundaries. It does help if you have some idea what the function should look like.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

JM- Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, though I had to ask a friend. I think I understand it now. Thanks for the advice though.

Happy- I'll be sure to (try and) remember that next time.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The most common thing I see causing graphs to return errors like that is having stat plots turned on accidentally. Press the Y= button, and look at the top of the screen above Y1. You should see something like "Plot1 Plot2 Plot3" (I'm not sure because this is off the top of my head). If any of those is highlighted, and you didn't do it on purpose, press the up arrow until your cursor is over it, and press enter to turn it off.

This is unbelievably common and almost nobody knows how to fix it. Most people I know simply pull out the batteries and put them back in!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.