FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheap...

Author Topic: Cheap...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
...maybe I am. But only when it comes to things that would normally cost me lots of cash. Which is why I was wondering if anyone here knows how one might go about acquiring an electric bass guitar and amp for not a lot of money.

I really want to learn to play. And it's hard to play without the said instrument.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist springs to mind.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist, Recycler, other local publications that list items for sale.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one on Craigslist and one on Ebay.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pawn shops. The kind where they let you haggle.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gte the guitar first and the amp later - that way you can practice fingerings and build strength while you are saving for the amp.

Good luck - and there are plenty of good resources online too, to help with your study. That said, you can't beat jamming with your favourite CDs tho...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Also keep your eyes peeled for sales on starter sets at places like Guitar Center. A friend of mine got an electric bass and a crappy 10 watt amp, plus a strap, case, picks, entry level headphones, etc., for $149 before tax, brand new in box.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first you'll need one of these and one of these. Once you have those, take them here and you'll know what to do. Good luck!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Craigslist springs to mind.

What is this Craigslist of which you speak?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist St. Louis

Wikipedia on Craigslist

[Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It blows my mind when people haven't heard of craigslist.

I told one of my good friends about it (he's in Palm Springs), and a month later he found his new apartment listed there. He owes me big.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Fender Jazz I got in 2001, I've taken such good care of it it's sick, considering I am so unskilled at it.

I am not sure what to do with it as between keyboard, classical guitar, etc I just don't have any time I am willing to commit to get better at it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know where I can get a keytar?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Also keep your eyes peeled for sales on starter sets at places like Guitar Center. A friend of mine got an electric bass and a crappy 10 watt amp, plus a strap, case, picks, entry level headphones, etc., for $149 before tax, brand new in box.

Beware the sale!

I recommend against these package deals simply because the instruments are likely to be of such poor quality that it would discourage a beginner from ever learning the instrument. Esteban springs unbidden to mind.

Also, you don't need picks for a bass guitar and you shouldn't get in the habit of using them.

At some point the "steal" is the store stealing money from you and giving you a warped piece of plywood. I can't really imagine a set like that being worth having, even for a beginner.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Anybody know where I can get a keytar?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.