FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ouch.

Author Topic: Ouch.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had tonsillitis since as far back as I remember. Man, those tonsils swell up beautifully. In fact, they inflame just like the lymph nodes in my neck, which are virtually next door. [Smile]

<swallow> *wince*

So I'm off to see the nurse where I work, in an hour. Yah for free medical consultation.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Ow. [Frown] Feel better!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Finally, a free minute.

The nurse said, "Strep." That was after looking in my mouth and saying "Oooh. Aaaahhh. Not good."

Now I've got some heavy artillery from the pharmacy to help my immune system out.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Ok, the Amoxicillin makes me feel a little weird, but I can still function. I'm taking Ibuprofen for the pain in my throat (swallowing, the throat isn't sore).

I assume that taking Ibuprofen (200mg) every 4-6 hours for the next ten days won't hurt me, right?

Also, the hot water + lemon + honey drink seems to sooth my pain a bit. This is a remedy my mother used since we were kids. If you have any suggestions, I'll see if I can give them a whirl.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I assume that taking Ibuprofen (200mg) every 4-6 hours for the next ten days won't hurt me, right?

It shouldn't, considering that about once a month I take 600 of ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours, for several days in a row.

Also try Throat Soothers herbal tea with lemon and honey. Even better. It's from Celestial Seasonings, I think. (But don't drink more than three cups a day for more than ten days in a row.)

And I bet once the antibiotic starts to kick in you won't be in pain for the whole ten days. (But finish the course, of course.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My empathy is all yours. I had strep throat for the first time in November and it was horrible. Yep to the honey lemon drink. The antibiotic helped me feel like a new person within 24-48 hours so just hang in there, relief is on the way.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate strep. Had it far, far, far too many times to count. You have my sympathies. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've discovered that the Lifesavers mints in the Green Bag can really help soothe your throat. Not joking. If you think it won't kill you, it might be a good idea to give it a try.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

Actually, due to the way Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) work - by blocking the enzymes that produce prostaglandins- it's not recommended to take them for pain while you have an active infection. This is especially true for Strep infections.

Prostaglandins are chemicals that are responsible for causing pain, fever and inflammation. But they're also used by the immune system to help fight infections.

There are also some preliminary studies that link the use of NSAIDS with necrotizing fasciitis, or "flesh eating strep". The studies aren't conclusive, but if it were me or one of my loved ones, I'd avoid ibuprofen and other NSAIDS (naproxen, aspirin, nambutone) while I had an acute Strep infection. Tylenol is safer.

Edit: It occurs to me that I should link some of the studies, but I don't have ready access right now, and I'm not sure any of the abstracts are available online. I researched this fairly extensively in 2003 due to an outbreak of NF here on Maui (we made the national news... I got calls from all over the mainland from folks wondering if they should cancel their vacations). As I said, the studies are not definitive, but there's enough of a link that we recommend against the use of NSAIDS as above.

And by all means, finish you entire course of antibiotics. We tend to be very complacent about Strep, since it's easily treatable, and there are very few antibiotic resistant strains at this time, but it's one of the more pernicious pathogens out there, and can cause severe complications if it's not treated properly. Not to mention that we want to KEEP it susceptible to antibiotics, so take them as prescribed.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Get those honey lemon Ricolas. They are awesome. And like candy. Delicious, throat-soothing candy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

ketchupqueen,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think I can find those at Wal-Mart? I'll check tomorrow.

SteveRogers,

That's such a simple, interesting suggestion... [Smile]

maui babe,

I took a Tylenol last night and in the morning, the pain and swelling made for a slow breakfast. It just didn't stop the pain. I'm using the standard "Extra Strength Tylenol gelcaps". Maybe I should try 2 extra strength Tylenol?

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
SteveRogers,

That's such a simple, interesting suggestion... [Smile]

It seems to work for me. Doesn't mean it does for everybody. But it's worth a shot. You can probably find them at Wal-Mart or a gas station or something. They aren't very expensive. And you can shove some in your pocket or whatever, so you have them on hand when you think you need one.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Once your antibiotics kick in, the pain and swelling should be much more manageable.

If you really feel like you need the Ibuprofen, by all means, take it. But be aware of the risks, and don't take any more than you need. And if you don't start feeling better within a short time (24 hours or so), go back to your doctor.

Also, you should be aware that Strep can be communciable through salivary exchange. Until you've completed 24 hours of your antibiotic treatment, don't share food or drinks with anyone, and don't be too friendly with your significant other.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Added:

I will most definitely, beyond any doubt, take the entire prescription. The reminders you post here are good for everyone to read, IMHO.

"Bugs resistant to drugs" is not my idea of a happy dream. [Smile]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Maui babe,

Thanks for the education. I really appreciate it. By the way, I think I'll share your insight with the person who examined me and provided the prescription. I don't think she has the same information you do, because I asked her about pain medication for the throat and she indicated that Ibuprofen was fine.

I'll go back to Tylenol tonight, taking 2 this time.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

I'm just bumping this once to thank everyone who posted little hints or suggestions. I did switch to using Tylenol. It hurt a little while longer, but better safe than sorry. [Smile]

I'm feeling MUCH better now, after 48+ hours of antibiotic. Swallowing is pain free. Thank the gods. Now it's time to make up for lost eating. [Big Grin]

maui babe
Member # 1894

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU TOO!

I have a nasty case of tonsillitis too. The doctor, after examining me in less than five minutes, prescribed me Z-Pac (Azithromycin) and told me to pick up some Claritin at the drugstore for the pain in my ears. Then she promptly kicked me out. And I was taking Tylenol for the first day and a half to help break my fever. It feels like its gone for good now.

I'm in my 33rd hour of drugs and only feel slightly better though the infection seemed only on the right side before and it feels like its moving to the other side now.

I'm doing okay without food. Lots of gatorade and jello, though neither help with the nausea much. The lack of sleep is killing me. My neck is so swollen I can't sleep on my side and I can't breathe if I sleep on my back.

This is my second major episode in four months (the first occured while I was in the hospital to get my appendix removed. The poor guy who put me under for surgery could barely get the breathing tube down my throat.) I'm tempted to go to the hospital and demand they get taken out for good. Nurses and lots of ice cream and quality pain-killers would make it worth it.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! ooh! i got oral thrush last week! it's a baby disease. very glamorous.

hope you're feeling better. on a side note, i apparently was born without tonsils...

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Actually, aside from the painful swelling of the tonsils and lymph nodes, I felt fine. I only felt slightly nauseas a couple of times, and it wasn't anything I couldn't work around.

Glad you're already feeling better. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.