FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your issue? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's your issue?
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in November, my husband and I had someone poll us about which issues were of greatest concern to us in voting. They gave us a multiple choice list to choose from, which I thought was ridiculous because, essentially, they were telling us what to care about. So I won't do it to you, but I'm curious: What federal issues are most important to you and why?
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Equal Marriage Rights
Smaller Gov't/Lower Taxes

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Full voting representation for Washington, DC.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Really Miro? That's what you want more than anything else????

What about Puerto Rico or Guam or our other territories?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Abortion.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Really Miro? That's what you want more than anything else????

Yes. Once I am actually allowed to participate in our 'great democracy', I will turn my attentions to other areas of need. And then, I might actually be able to make a difference.

quote:
What about Puerto Rico or Guam or our other territories?
I don't know a whole lot about their situations, though I'd tend to say they should either have voting representation or independence. I do know that Puerto Rico has in the past voted to not become a state (and therefore receive all the associated rights and benefits). That's more than we ever got.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Gay marriage or civil unions
Equal Rights/Non-Discrimination laws
Environmental Policies
Foreign Relations

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The only federal aspects of the gay marriage issue are 1) whether the FDMA is repealed, 2) whether the DMA is passed by Congress, and 3) whether the federal government recognizes and equalizes the treatment of state-recognized same sex marriages or unions.

Which isn't to say that it shouldn't be anyone's most important issue, but if people want to aim their efforts efficiently, it's good to know these things.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Equal Marriage rights
Alternative resources
Guest Worker Program or weaning companies off using illegal immigrants.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Dag: those are actually pretty damn huge elements to the gay marriage fight. Taxes are a federal issue as well as the ability to move to a different state and remain married.

Not to mention that states usually have to be forced by the feds to give minorities equal rights. We just passed the 50th anniversary of the Central High incident, for instance.

Miro: So fight to rejoin Maryland or VA. Eliminate all of DC's special considerations in one swell foop.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Iraq
Civil Rights/Liberties (including SSM)
The increasing ability of the wealthy (people or corporations) to "buy" government - I supposed this practically translates to Campaign Finance Reform?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

I'd be more than happy if DC (or most of it) was retroceded to Maryland, allowing us to participate both in state and national elections. That's one of several solutions acceptable to me.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Care for the poor. This includes food, housing, and health care.

2. Funding for education.

3. Equal marriage benefits for same-sex couples.

4. Legal access to abortion for those 18+. Abortions "safe, legal, and rare." I believe that is a Clinton quote.

These are all extremely important to me.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
health care; poverty; education; immigration; environment; foreign relations; the war.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.

1) Abortion (limiting it or eliminating it)
2) SSM (legalizing it)
3) Rolling back the Patriot Act
After that it starts to get hard to place one above the others.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Iraq, Iran, and foreign relations.

I hate to say it, but, IMHO, SSM and abortion and all those issues aren't as important in the long run as the war on terrorism is.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* I disagree. From the perspective of someone who views fetuses as human beings, how many deaths does abortion cause a year? Does Iraq even come close?

Oh wait, you're in favor of the Iraq war. Okay, then, same question: does terrorism cause anywhere near as many deaths?

-o-

I was trying to think of where the Iraq war comes in on my list, and, once you separate the Patriot Act, the rest of it just isn't that high on my list.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have one issue that is sort of make or break for me. In the past, I've just voted for the candidate whose views were closest to mine (i.e. I agreed with them more than I agreed with the other candidate). Maybe I have some kind of unconscious list of importance in my head, but thinking about it just now I can't think of what ranks highest.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Education Reform
2) Prison Reform
3) Alternative energy

A few others, but if you agree with me about the shape of our educational and penal system, coming to a consensus about same-sex adoptions, labor unions, and the thorny of problems of immigration will be markedly easier.

[ March 09, 2007, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, why are three of the things on your list? Currently, they are all, with the exception of #3, abundantly available and/or already legal.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
At the national level:

the war, health care, poverty, environment, energy, national debt, criminal justice reform

At the state level:

education, transportation, poverty, health care, urban planning, environment, criminal justice reform

The most facinating thing my list is that someone could concievably produce the exact same list and yet have political opinions that are polar opposites.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Abortion rights
2. Civil rights (Equal marriage rights for same sex couples)
3. Funding for education, health care, etc for the poor

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The OP question:
What federal issues are most important to you and why?

1. Universal access to necessary medical care: because I see a breakdown coming, in part secondary to bankruptcies triggered by unpayable medical bills. Diabetes on the rise + a lot of people without needed access --> mushroom cloud

2. Better funding for and support of teachers: because I don't think we can expect people to keep doing hard work for minimal compensation and still not be respected. Again, something's going to blow. Or, rather, fizzle out in a slow and agonizing death due to burnout.

3. Environment reform: long term investment, has to be done

---

Edited to add: [small voice]have no idea what to do about Iraq[/small voice]

[ March 09, 2007, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
Liz, why are three of the things on your list? Currently, they are all, with the exception of #3, abundantly available and/or already legal.

I don't know about Liz, but in my experience 1 and 2 on her list are not adequately available in the US.

As for #4 on her list (abortion), although its currently legal there are an awful lot of people who are trying to make it illegal. As long as there are people who consider making abortion illegal their number one political priority, there will also be people for whom keeping abortion legal will be a top political priority.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Health care reform
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Environment
1b. Alternative energy source development
2. Space exploration (including asteroid defense, colonization of either other planets or of long term artificial habitats, and resource acquisition all three under this umbrella)
3. Health care reform.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

Unfortunately, I'm with you on that one.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

Unfortunately, I'm with you on that one.
Yep, me too, I'm afraid.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hard to decide, and I'll probably change my mind later but (not in a particular order)...

1. Foreign Relations (including but not only war)
2. Alternative/Efficient Energy- especially transportation and building
3. Immigration
4. Health Care
5. The national debt

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating how many different answers people have put up for their most important.

My biggest issue is government spending and government waste. I feel like the decisions being made now regarding the budget are foolish and increasing the wealth gap between the supperrich and everyone else.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. As far as Iraq-

I was hoping that being gone for 18 months they'd have it all sorted out when I got back.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Canada, so for *my* federal government:

A) Environment
B) Different (or even reversing) tax cuts (current conservative government starting to follow the US model of giving tax cuts that benefit the rich while screwing the middle class)
C) Equalization and regionalism (government is playing/proposing a dangerous game of granting greater regional autonomy to Quebec to gain votes, also natural resources are exempt from the equalization program)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Gay rights.
Federal deficit.
The terroist war.
Survival of the middle class.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no single issue. I can only put it broadly, and I've only got one.

1. Long-term, rational, problem-solving ideas from federal politicians.

I'm afraid there's just not much of that coming from people whose stances I like even on more specific issues.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I don't know about Liz, but in my experience 1 and 2 on her list are not adequately available in the US.

As for #4 on her list (abortion), although its currently legal there are an awful lot of people who are trying to make it illegal. As long as there are people who consider making abortion illegal their number one political priority, there will also be people for whom keeping abortion legal will be a top political priority.

Yes. What The Rabbit said. I agree that care for the poor is available in our country, but I think we should do a LOT more. (And I care about helping the undeserving, adult poor, too.)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
1) Universal affordable health insurance/health care
1) Poverty Assistance (food, housing, jobs training)
1) Increase funding for Substance Abuse treatment
1) Setting stricter limits on the power to wage war (pre-conditions,
1) Establishing a process by which Congress cannot recess until the budget job is done each year
1) Eliminating all set-asides/ear marks
1) Requiring all meetings with lobbyists to be open to the public with time and location published in advance.

Okay, those are my top priorities.

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

It strikes me that Iraq isn't on most of your lists. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it is interesting given that it tends to be the top story on the news most nights. It was also one of my choices in the poll. [Smile]

Let's see here...health care, gay rights, abortion (pro or con), and education seem to be top priorities for many people.

My issues:

1. Downsizing the federal government. I think it's too powerful. I think that states should pick up the slack in many cases, especially education, where the federal government has failed miserably.

2. Repeal of the patriot act and other violations of basic constitutional rights.

3. Putting an end to an ill-defined war on terror. (This does not necessarily mean pulling out of Iraq by a week from Tuesday.)

4. A foreign policy that includes diplomacy

5. Tax equality -- I want to see the rich pay their fair share

I could keep going...I have a lot of issues.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

SSM (against)
Abortion (against)
Immigration (for immigration, and against acting like dorks to them)
Big Government (against, especially federal)

[ March 10, 2007, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
--Improved oversight and accountability for government at all levels (aka, "No one is above the law.") This incorporates lobbying reform, campaign finance reform, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
--Health care reform. The system is broken and needs serious help.
--Protection of civil liberties (in this, I include rolling back the patriot act and SSM [for]).
--Foreign policy that involves diplomacy and a willingness to admit that we might not always be in the right.

And, on that final note, I'd absolutely love for our next president to be able to admit he or she made mistakes if they happened, rather than giving us a 1984-ish, "No, we never did make mistakes; our policies have always been right," even when the actual policies in effect have changed.

If I thought that education was a federal issue, it would be included on this list, but I believe education reform is something that needs to happen at the state and local levels, rather than the federal level.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
*nod* I disagree. From the perspective of someone who views fetuses as human beings, how many deaths does abortion cause a year? Does Iraq even come close?

Oh wait, you're in favor of the Iraq war. Okay, then, same question: does terrorism cause anywhere near as many deaths?

Maybe not, but I still think terrorism causes alot more destruction to society than abortion does. Terrorism not only kills people but causes fear and affects people's ability to live their life normally, such as in Israel. Terrorism also hurts the friends and family of a victim of a terrorist attack, while an abortion is a voluntary "killing" from the fetus' parents. It doesn't cause as much suffering to the family because it was their choice. I know it sounds horrible to rank the importance of the death of a human life, but I think from a completely rational standpoint, an abortion isn't as bad as someone dying from a terrorist act.

Also, abortion is an issue with two sides to it, so it's something people will probably be fighting about forever. Terrorism is something that I think everyone agrees needs to be eliminated for us to advance as a society.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Also, abortion is an issue with two sides to it, so it's something people will probably be fighting about forever. Terrorism is something that I think everyone agrees needs to be eliminated for us to advance as a society.
Which means my vote has much less impact on terrorism - after all, no one wants it to stick around. Even if politicians disagree on the means, they agree on the goal.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I think from a completely rational standpoint, an abortion isn't as bad as someone dying from a terrorist act.
How convenient for you that those who are "completely rational" agree with you. [/sarcasm]

Note that I would have agreed with your statement if you had said you had said that abortion isn't as bad as terrorism "from a certain standpoint" or "in some ways".

But saying that those who disagree with you are not completely rational is just bad form.

[ March 10, 2007, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I was thinking the other day... how much more traction the pro-life movement would get if it emphasised adoption more. Encouraging people to adopt and encouraging those seeking abortions to put their child up for adoption. I know some pro-lifers do that, but you don't hear of them. It's always Keep vs Kill. Very little emphasis is given to the third option.. Giving your child to someone who would love him or her. (for the record, I'm pro-choice but want women to chose life. Or "Choose Adoption" if I were to make a bumper sticker.)

MPH: At the risk of you getting dogpiled yet again =(... I understand that you don't like SSM for religious reasons... But there's a whole slew of things your faith is against that are legal. Why is SSM one of your top issues? Why not turn a blind eye to it like drinking, caffeine, gambling, etc, etc... I mean, drinking and gambling definately destroys families. SSM builds families, even if you don't consider them ideal.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I was thinking the other day... how much more traction the pro-life movement would get if it emphasised adoption more.
"Choose Life" and "Adoption is an Option" stickers get pulled off cars all the time, so I'm skeptical if this would work. Those who counsel pregnant mothers considering abortion pretty much always mention adoption.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Dag: Dunno, The abortion debate has been raging my whole life and I very rarely hear adoption brought up.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
quote:
quote:

Yes. What The Rabbit said. I agree that care for the poor is available in our country, but I think we should do a LOT more. (And I care about helping the undeserving, adult poor, too.)

I think it's unfortunate that we think the federal government should take care of our poor, when it's clear that they do such a bad job at it. I'd love to see a ratio study of the dollar efficiency of our federal services to the poor, as exist for most charities. As I type, my husband and son are serving breakfast to the homeless, something they do often. Every dollar donated to make this happen have gone directly to the food. No one is paid for service, and the equipment used was all donated. While I am the first to admit that charities are not perfect and people do fall through the cracks, it is obvious to me that they are generally far more efficient than the government at making the dollars they have go the farthest.

Given that our tax dollars are what make the government services possible, it makes me less desirous than ever to expand federal services to the poor -- every dollar they get, they waste far more of it than every dollar I donate to charity. I would rather give my money to where it will go the farthest.

As for abortion rights, there is a great deal more money behind abortion than there is in pro-life lobbies. As long as that remains true, abortion will continue to be legal, IMO.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

jeniwren: To be fair, many public charities are highly inefficient as well. Not saying the federal government could do it better, but I'm not sure they're doing it worse. Of course, with public charities we have the option of choosing the good ones (and they do exist), but many of the most prominent and largest charities (The United Way comes to mine) are highly inefficient.

Pixie: I've always heard adoption and pro-life in the same breath. This is usually one of their foundational arguments.

As for SSM: I understand why this is a hugely important issue for those whose lives are effected by it (ie gay people), but I've never really understood why it is so important to other people. Maybe someone could help me with the "why" part of the question there. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
As for SSM: I understand why this is a hugely important issue for those whose lives are effected by it (ie gay people), but I've never really understood why it is so important to other people. Maybe someone could help me with the "why" part of the question there. [Smile]

For me, it's because I love and care for people for whom this is an immediate problem, as well as being concerned about participating in an unjust society. Societies will never be perfect, of course, but I feel strongly about continuing to make the one I am a part of better (in the sense of true to good principles).

So, both for concrete and abstract reasons, at least in my case.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, our domestic adoption programs aren't in particularly good shape.

Federally: energy policy, foreign policy, Iraq, Afghanistan, and terror. I suspect finding a solution to the first will greatly help the others. Government waste is atrocious, and immigration is a mess.

On a local level: Education (K12) education (higher-ed) education (jobs training), poverty, crime.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Equal marriage rights.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.