FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek 2008: "It's not a prequel, it's a reimagining" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek 2008: "It's not a prequel, it's a reimagining"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...a revamp. A reboot. A remake. A re-re-re-re...try?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A regurgitation
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
...More action. That could be good, or that could just mean more stuff to attract the people who just like fights and explosions and guns and all that ADHD stuff. Kind of like what they did to X-Men 3.

I like good action, but it actually has to be good, and have relevance to the plot. It needs to be there because it enhances the story and makes it fun, not just so it can make-up for a lack of story or to get the pleasure-chemicals going in the brain.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of movies Hollywood pumps out.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! They'll mess it up!
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they learned their lesson from Enterprise. If you make a crappy Trek show, all the fans will hate you and refuse to watch.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I think the franchise was imagined just fine the first time 'round.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried because it sounds like they're trying to make it so Normal People will like it.

Still, kinnnnda interested.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm worried because it sounds like they're trying to make it so Normal People will like it.
That's a bad thing?

*remembers the hoards who invaded his Middle-Earth sanctuary*

Oh yeah.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

We super-hero fans still haven't recovered from when the X-Men went "mainstream", man.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Enterprise.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
How isn't Star Trek already "mainstream"? Trek and Wars are the most commercial and mainstream sci-fi franchises by a mile. I don't mean that as a criticism, by the way. I'm a huge fan of both, but it's just a fact.

Anyway, a reimagining might be kinda neat. Just look at Battlestar Galactica.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll never be the same as the book.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I loved Enterprise.

So you're the one!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
How isn't Star Trek already "mainstream"? Trek and Wars are the most commercial and mainstream sci-fi franchises by a mile. I don't mean that as a criticism, by the way. I'm a huge fan of both, but it's just a fact.

Well, Star Trek has a spotty record when it comes to movies with mainstream commercial appeal.

The touchy-feely, pseudo-cerebral and philosophical first ST movie was quickly and wisely forgotten once the fast-moving, action-oriented Wrath of Khan came out. [Smile]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the first Star Trek movie was sssooo ssslooow (and not just in that one bit where everyone goes all blurry).
Fast moving and action orientated can work great, but only if the audience actually cares enough about the characters that they're on the edge of their seat wanting to know what happens next. And a really cool bad guy doesn't hurt either.

Reimagining is okay with me. Do I want to see Matt Damon as Kirk, as rumours suggest? No. But then I'm not Matt Damon's biggest fan. Although if they really did get Gary Sinise as Bones, I would forgive them anything. Anyway, neither of those possibilities is at all likely. I'm just glad the franchise isn't quite dead yet.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks interesting. Although I really like the original series, as well as much of TNG, it seems like a fresh start would give them a lot more options. That way they wouldn't have to work around the cruft and inconsistencies that have accumulated in the Star Trek universe over the past 40 years.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they're "re-imagining" the universe, they may have to "re-imagine" me paying to watch the movie. [Smile]

I'll seriously reconsider any immediate loyalty I have (had) to the series, based on this news.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Sometimes rebooting a franchise isn't a bad idea.

See: Batman Begins

And sometimes it -is- a bad idea.

See: The Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion of Smug, Smarmy Teen Brats Who Pretend to be Super-Heroes run. [Razz]

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should plan to do a complete remake of each of the 10 Star Trek movies. [Razz]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Heh. I think the franchise was imagined just fine the first time 'round.

I agree.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Take away everything I like, and replace it with "more action."

Imagine my disinterest.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Where does it say "more action" means "only action"?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so last night, after seeing this, I spent about two hours wandering my house (I'm home alone) ranting about all the possible permutations of an un-reimagined Star Trek prequal. I've been watching rather a lot of TOS recently so I've got ST on the brain.

I think that if they feel the need to 'reimagine' they are NOT using their imaginations, because the amount of perfectly good material that exists is tremendous, funny, action packed and even relavent to today if treated in the correct light and era.

I worry most that they do not know what the "look" (that they want to retain) of the universe is, because I think (read: IMO) I know sure as heck how to update ST and keep it clearly ST.

ps. I have a great idea for a ST prequal show; all I ask is they be so bad that they do not negate any future plots [Wink] . Or they could surprise as all and be good, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my issue:

I don't think "reimagining" with the goal of appealing to a new audience would work all that well, simply because...it's Star Trek. It's still going to have the Star Trek name. The last non-Enterprise Trek ended not too long ago. People still know what Star Trek is.

In other words, it's not like Battlestar Galactica, where a significant period of time had passed. So worst-case, I can see this alienating loyal fans while at the same time failing to attract new ones because people will be all, "Star Trek? Psh. I never liked Star Trek."

...I'm hopeful, though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
J.M Straczynski had the same idea first, and his sounds waaaaay better.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
The last non-Enterprise Trek ended not too long ago.

Assuming you mean Voyager, it's been more than half a decade since that show ended.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:

"First"? They've been discussing Star Trek "reboots" (both hard and soft) at least since the late 90s. [Smile]

I lost all faith in JMS after he had Gwen Stacy have sex with the Green Goblin, then made Reed Richards into the cause of the Big Bang. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. At least since the late 80s that I personally recollect. And really for longer than that -- STTMP was the end result of all kinds of "reboot" scenarios.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
The last non-Enterprise Trek ended not too long ago.

Assuming you mean Voyager, it's been more than half a decade since that show ended.
More than half a decade is a lot less than....how long has it been since the first BSG? More than thirty years?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the J.M.S. version.

Or at least, I think it's a great possibility. A few things I might do different, but I'd definitely watch that.

Female Scotty. *grins* Reminds me of Starbuck. Ahh, this truly is the age of the reboot.

So... that concept didnt get used, then? What a pity.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

This movie and idea is SOOOO going to suck. I have no hope for it.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Pfft. At least since the late 80s that I personally recollect. And really for longer than that -- STTMP was the end result of all kinds of "reboot" scenarios.

I thought Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a revamped version of the scrapped pilot for the Star Trek: Phase Two TV series?

That series didn't intend to clear away the original series continuity, it intended to pick up the character's lives "later". [Smile]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Considering only the barest skeleton of details has been released about the Abrams Reboot, I think it's premature to say it'll be better or worse than the JMS version.
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:

Wow, I really like JMS's idea. Sounds like it would really bring back the spirit of the the classic Trek. Too bad it'll never get made [Frown]
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I thought Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a revamped version of the scrapped pilot for the Star Trek: Phase Two TV series?

That series didn't intend to clear away the original series continuity, it intended to pick up the character's lives "later". [Smile]

IIRC (and it has been quite some time since the con(s) at which I heard this, so I may not), there were some pretty significant character changes that were planned as well. It wasn't just "later"; it was "later, and remember a bunch of stuff you knew about the characters? We changed it."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Other than Klingons suddenly being all bumpy and ridge-y?
rivka
Member # 4859

That's not a character change.

It was the early onset of Star Trek Forehead disease.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Physiological changes don't count? [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

I did not mean changes to a character. I meant character -- personality, etc. -- changes.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Whose personalities changed from TOS to TMP? I never noticed any changes (but I was never a big TOS fan).

My opinion is that if Star Trek is ever to be successfully revived, they need to let the ground lie fallow for a while. A long while.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was unclear. It was the (scrapped) Phase Two that was meant to have all those changes, character changes (and introducing several new characters) among them. Almost none of the projected changes survived the transition of the planned second TV show becoming a movie -- those dreadful uniforms were among the few things that did.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I used to have a "Best of Trek" book that had the plot breakdowns for the never-filmed 12 "Phase Two" episodes, as well as the character descriptions. I don't recall anything particularly contradictory to the original ST canon...though there was quite a bit of "fanon" contradicted.

I could be wrong, though. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug* I was hearing someone's (a producer? I forget) recollections of something that was a decade past when I heard it. And it's been quite some time since then.
stihl1
Member # 1562

What I remember of Star Trek Phase 2 was that the idea was to introduce new cast members to replace the original members, particularly Kirk and Spock, whose actors wanted a whole lotta money for a new series. I had a book of episode ideas/plots and many of them ended up being TNG episodes. I got that feeling that Phase 2 was the basis for TNG.

The other aspect is that Nimoy was not in good graces with Paramount because of the lawsuit he filed and won because they used his likeness without permission or royalties for that german beer ad. The feeling was to get rid of Spock, either in the movies or tv show, and replace him. And Paramount believed Nimoy didn't want to keep playing spock as well. That book he wrote probably didn't help any either.

IF anything, Star Trek was reimagined starting with TWOK. Roddenbury never wanted starfleet to be a military organization, or the shows to be primarily about space battles and/or war. The franchise was reimagined starting with the second movie, putting more of a militaristic spin on the franchise, basing starfleet on the navy, etc and doing more action and ship battles than Roddenbury wanted. And Gene was pushed out of the way somewhat when it came to stories. I've read repeatedly about the stories Gene wanted to do like time traveling to witness the Kennedy Assasination, stories about Jesus being a space alien/probe, etc. All that never saw the light of day or serious consideration because paramount took the franchise in a different direction. And you could argue that the successful movies after TMP were a difinite reimagining of the franchise, although they kept the actors and the dynamics, the basis for the fandom in the first place.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
What I remember of Star Trek Phase 2 was that the idea was to introduce new cast members to replace the original members, particularly Kirk

?

Kirk was going to be the major focus of "Phase II". Shatner had no objections to being in that show. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It surprises me that in this Star Trek thread, everyone is screming that there is no room in the ST universe for originality. I remember frothing at the mouth in rage when I first heard about Deep Space Nine. I'm glad I got over myself.

Abrahms, I doubt will go overboard with action in a Star Trek movie, though it will certainly exist. I mean look at Lost.

Roddenbury fostered alot of alternative thinking in the trekverse, I don't think we make the series better by insisting Abrahms follow the traditions of others.

Many folks like the Star Wars novels, if those are not a reimagination of the movies, I don't know what is.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
"Reimagining" Star Trek sounds like an excellent plan to generate the largest, angriest fan outcry in all of modern human history. [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that reimagining the universe is a good idea, but I agree with Jon Boy that this field needs to lay fallow for a good while first.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked what I heard about someone wanting Adrian Brody as Spock. I really can seen him playing the role well.

I'm cool with constantly changing continuity. I'm a Highlander fan to after all.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Who exactly is screaming that there's no room for originality in the Star Trek universe? I think it's just the opposite problem: Paramount has sucked Star Trek's well of creativity dry.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.