FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Salman Rushdie

Author Topic: Salman Rushdie
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I am super excited because Salman Rushdie is going to be speaking at the main branch of the Chicago Public Library tomorrow. Link

Because I have to leave work early, I am hoping I get there at least in time for me to shake his hand, have him sign my copies of The Satanic Verses and The Moor's Last Sigh, and gush about how I love his writing style.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
But not The Ground Beneath Her Feet?

I'm jealous. I love Salman Rushdie. I read Midnight's Children as a duty read last year and I was totally surprised by how much I loved it. I sort of portion out his books to myself slowly, so I still haven't read a bunch of them. When I do something really good, I reward myself by reading a new book by him. [Smile]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a great writer!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah rushdie is a great speaker... i wish i was in chicago :(
Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for the terrorists he'll likley have after him
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Yay! It's tonight!!! Woohoo!

Fyfe: I haven't had a chance yet to read anything but the two I already mentioned. I'll get to it eventually.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he overwrites a bit: he writes energetically about plot nuances I don't care about. It could be that he lives in a more vivacious world than I do. Either way, I've heard he is outstanding live.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

I can see where you're coming from Irami. But one of the reasons I love Salman Rushdie is his attention to every detail in the language he uses. It seems like he thinks about every word he writes and how it relates to what precedes and what comes after. I love rereading the books of his I've read because it's like peeling an onion: there's always another layer of meaning. And often I find the meaning hilarious. It's so rare that an author makes me laugh out loud.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.