FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don’t buy from this guy on ebay

Author Topic: Don’t buy from this guy on ebay
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
http://tinyurl.com/3xc55v
Don’t buy from this ebay guy.
I got this and it’s basically a blown up, highly pixilated, possibly illegal copy done on a home printer.
The real scam is that if you send it back he’ll give you a refund, you pay for shipping of course. And then he won’t leave you feedback until you leave him positive feedback and threatens you with negative feedback.
Basically a real jerk on ebay. Check out his feedback and you can see he’s got a history of this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEST-VIRGINIA-MOUNTAINEERS-1958-NATIONAL-CHAMPS-POSTER_W0QQitemZ220093008247QQcategoryZ73427QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220093008247

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you reported him to ebay?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, they basically said there’s nothing they can do. Doesn’t make any sense since you can see on his feedback that he is so manipulative and has so many mutually withdrawn feedbacks. I’m tempted to contact someone at WVU after basketball season is over to see if they can get him on a copyright infringement. Which would be better in the long wrong since if ebay gets him on this ID he’ll just get a new one. You’ll notice this ID is less then 6 months old.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read through his feedbacks. There are also a ton that are withdrawn by ebay because the buyers never paid.

I had that happen once - I bought something, it never came, I left a negative feedback, and that prompted a nasty e-mail where he said he'd leave me negative feedback if I didn't take mine off. I was mystified (no, I didn't take it back). Apparently it happens a lot. I wish there was some way to fix that in the ratings system.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you, Jay, but why does he have a 99.4% positive rating if the product is so bad? I've never used eBay but would like to get into it. Is 27 ratings withdrawn out of 959 a lot?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for this particular case, but I know that it is a common scam on ebay for a buyer to sell a lot of inexpensive things to build up a good feedback, and then go about cheating as many people as possible, often using this type of negative-feedback threatening to keep their own account free of negative feedbacks.

A temporary account, which a scammer only plans to use for a few months, is dangerous to regular ebay users, because if you leave justified negative feedback, the scammer can leave you negative feedback, and then just abandon the account to make a new one. The honest user is stuck with the negative feedback, and the scammer has a new account to repeat the scam with.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Bingo MightyCow.

And Morbo if you go and read through some of his you'll see where he forces people at times. Plus he's only had the account for a little while. He's good at his scam. He’s probably got a few photos that are good enough to be printed.

So let’s see… what do you think these really cost him? Maybe a $1 to make per print at home? He’s got that covered in shipping and handling with a little to spare. So let’s say he makes $10 per print. So for rounding he’s sold just under 1,000 and it’s been just over 5 months on this account. Wow…. Nice easy $10,000. Nice 2K per month on the side thing ya got going there. Heck have another ebay scam or two on another couple of accounts and you’ve got yourself a nice full time income!

Wow…. Time to become a scam artist.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd leave the negative feedback, and petition ebay to get it removed if he sent some back to me (keep copies of all the correspondence in such a case.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and I think anything more than 2 MWF is excessive, especially for a seller.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on how many items he has sold, and how long his account has been active.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I suppose. But for someone who's been a member for less than 5 months? More than ONE is excessive.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Do people frequently leave the comment "A++++++"? or "prompt service"? in general, because if not it sorta looks like people are told what to write.

And there are plenty of people who wrote negative but things but agreed to retract, so it doesn't come into the 99.4%.

Example of a positive rating:

quote]eh..looks like a computer printout to me.. but it looks fine from a distance[/quote]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Do people frequently leave the comment "A++++++"? or "prompt service"? in general, because if not it sorta looks like people are told what to write.

Those are typical of some people's comments, yes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.