FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riemann Hypothesis disproved?

Author Topic: Riemann Hypothesis disproved?
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
A paper(http://arxiv.org/abs/math.NT/0703367) was just released claiming to have disproved the Riemann Hypthesis (RH).

This paper is unique in that among papers claiming to prove/disprove it in that

a) it actually has math in it

and

b) it's not immediately obviously flawed.

I just read through it myself, but with my weak background in analysis and number theory, I can't be sure of all the claims made. Hopefully in a bit, we'll get some real mathematicians figuring out if it's officially disproven or not.

For those who care, the Riemann Hypothesis is one of the millennium problems (a la Poincare Conjecture recently in the news. Unfortunately, disproving RH doesn't net one 1 million $ as proving it would). Itcan be stated as follows:

Consider f(z) = 1^(-z) + 2^(-z) + 3^(-z)+ ...

where z is any complex number.

Pick a particular complex number c and assume f(c) = 0. Then either the real part of c is a negative integer, or the real part of c is 1/2.

RH is important as it tells us something about the distribution of prime numbers - which is very important in some popular encryption schemes (among other important uses).

For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_hypothesis

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My head hurts.

I hate you! [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I seem to recall that Riemann has some extremely important implications for the more obscure branches of quantum mechanics, but I don't offhand remember what they are. It does seem to me that any complicated existence proof is rather taking the long way around, though - just give us the counterexample!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
You must be a physicist. Who need to know what the counterexample is when you can prove that one exists? [Wink]
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm. I seem to recall that Riemann has some extremely important implications for the more obscure branches of quantum mechanics,
The Montgomery-Odlyzko Law: The distribution of the spacings between successive non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function (suitably normalized) is statistically identical with the distribution of eigenvalue spacings in a GUE operator.

Apparently, this means there is some connection between the distribution of prime numbers and the distribution of eigenvalues for Gaussian-random Hermitian matrices, which are used to model certain quantum-dynamical systems.

This is from "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire. I have no true idea what it means, though.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a math degree and all I can say is: fire bad, tree pretty.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Riemann Hypothesis proved?

"By using Fourier analysis on number fields, we prove in this paper E. Bombieri’s refinement of A. Weil’s positivity condition, which implies the Riemann hypothesis for the Riemann zeta function in the spirit of A. Connes’ approach to the Riemann hypothesis."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Extremely important, if correct. Arxiv doesn't list a journal submission, but these things take time, that's why arXiv exists in the first place.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, there's a lot of skepticism about it because it's not yet reviewed. I don't even understand the single-sentence summary.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also skepticism because the gentleman's advisor has backed the wrong horse in this race on previous occasions.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ad hom by proxy?
rivka
Member # 4859

So if someone has backed several previous Riemann proofs that turned out not to be, that isn't grounds for skepticism?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Nth time lucky, for N at least 3?

[Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
DarthPaul
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for DarthPaul           Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Tao (Fields medalist at UCLA) comments on a possible problem with the paper here .
Posts: 74 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't even news until it's been reviewed, so yes the assumption is that it's wrong--no matter who submitted it.

I have to say that I think this trolling of arxiv for possibly exciting results is a terrible misuse of the service.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.