FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thank you wikipedia!

Author Topic: Thank you wikipedia!
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
In a random attempt at finding more bluegrass bands I wikipediaed it. One of the bands listed was the Lonesome River Band. I found a couple of tracks on arcive.org and they... are... awesome. I'm just getting in to bluegrass and this is one of the best bands I've come across. What else should I be looking for? What are the other bluegrass staples that I should know about? Please, bluegrass efficianados, help a poor fool out.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Last.fm might help; I'm not very familiar with bluegrass.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to define as blugrass really, but you should check out Bela Fleck. He's amazing, and his bass player Victor Wooten is possibly the greatest there ever is and ever was.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Pandora.com is an awesome way to find new bands you like.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Del McCoury band is one of the best bluegrass bands out there today. They were incredible live--banjo guy broke a string during a solo and had it restrung in less than a minute. Very cool.

Other staples of bluegrass: the Osbourne Brothers, Lester Flatt, Carl Story, Mac Wiseman, and Doc Watson.

I also love Bela Fleck (though it's definitely not bluegrass)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Launchywiggen, Bela Fleck plays everything from bluegrass to classical, but his roots are in bluegrass, and his earliest stuff is pure bluegrass. Check out his album Drive for an example of early Bela Fleck Bluegrass, or Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol. 2: The Bluegrass Sessions for a more recent return to bluegrass on his part.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
w00ten!

Sriously, that guy rules.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Robot Lords
Member # 9228

- posted      Profile for Mighty Robot Lords           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a guy that is in a blue grass band that just cut their first LP.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
This is insane.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
w00ten!

Sriously, that guy rules.

I'm listening to Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey as I type this. Wooten really is an amazing musician.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Intel
Member # 10057

- posted      Profile for Mr.Intel   Email Mr.Intel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Buttered Rum is one of my personal favorite bluegrass bands. Check them out.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never heard Bela Fleck's bluegrass stuff.

Do forgive my ignorance, Noemon.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.