FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What causes dying? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What causes dying?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
philicles or soemthing theyre called. AFAIK eahc time your cells replicate there is a slight biological error each time its copied, like copying a VCHS tabe over and over, eventually all youll see is static. Fix the error, fix the static.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that DNA transcription errors ultimately result in very few deaths. In the very long-term, perfect DNA replication may become a necessity, but all the various diseases and poisons are much more damaging.

I suppose, if you wanted to, you could bunch things like cancer in with the DNA problems, but they're generally not a result of shortened DNA strands due to age.

Fascinating stuff. I'm glad I took all the biology courses I did in college, even though I decided not to major in it.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would get bored of life after about five to six hundred years. I mean, after awhile it must start to get old and there's nothing new for you to see.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think boredom isn't all that dependent on how long you've lived. If you have the right attitude, there's always something interesting to be doing. I think new things and people come about all the time and a person that was willing could find ways to entertain themselves for eternity.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, people who spend all their time trying to figure out how not to die will miss out on the actual LIVING of life!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Read 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman. It is enough to put you off living forever.

If not, the concept of travelling at near-as-dammit light speed to far off destinations and then returning to Earth should fulfill your desires.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
L'Chaim!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Nighthawk:
Everybody "dies" for the same reason: lack of bloodflow to the brain.

See also: lack of a brain for blood to flow to.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

If not, the concept of travelling at near-as-dammit light speed to far off destinations and then returning to Earth should fulfill your desires.

That isn't remotely the same as living forever. It's just living a normal lifespan spaced really far apart in time.

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
I think I would get bored of life after about five to six hundred years. I mean, after awhile it must start to get old and there's nothing new for you to see.

That's very possible, but I wouldn't mind having a chance to find out firsthand. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
You know Blayne, you're starting to sound a lot like this guy I know by the name of Anakin Skywalker ...
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, the only problem with living forever is if you continue aging.

They have a Greek myth about that. Good story.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
You know Blayne, you're starting to sound a lot like this guy I know by the name of Anakin Skywalker ...

You know the Darth? Whoa! What's he like to hang out with?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much the dying that scares me as much as the idea of growing old and frail and weak, and possibly losing control of my bodily functions and mental faculties. I think it would be nice to live for about 100 years, but stop aging at 25. Then when the time comes, you just go to sleep one night and don't wake up.

However, the problem with that scenario is my personal unscientific theory about why we really age. That is, to prepare us for death. It's easier to accept that your life in this world is coming to an end when your body's all deteriorated. I imagine that if I was 90 years old and felt as healthy and strong as I do right now, knowing that my life would end soon would seem cruel and unfair rather than natural.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I forget exactly what one of the problems was, but it had something to do with something in your cells that was of a certain length (and had some slack to spare) and that with each replication it got shorter, so at some point you stopped cutting away the slack and started cutting away vital things. I forget what exactly it was (maybe it was DNA and chromatid related?).

I think you are going for "telomeres." Try googling "telomere shortening."

---

Edited to add: it adds nice texture, but not quite as flaky a crust as "telomere lard."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the continual damage from free radicals is probably a more significant impact than telomere shortening.

Reminds me of a time a sat next to a scientist on a train for a few hours. His area of focus was "living forever", which he believes is impossible according to his faith. Interesting guy, I wish I remembered more of the conversation. Things like that make me wish I kept a journal on me more often.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

Edited to add: it adds nice texture, but not quite as flaky a crust as "telomere lard."

*this made me, for real, LoL! [ROFL]
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Aging is caused by Elli, the Norse Goddess who humbled Thor in a wrestling match. You can't beat her: she's got you by the short hairs. I mean, the telomeres.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

now now, Anakin wanted to prevent the ones close to him from dying not to live forever, and Ild much prefer it via means that dont harm a significant amount of people around me.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I think you are going for "telomeres." Try googling "telomere shortening."

---

Yeah, that was it. Thanks Claudia. And of course telomere lard is going to give you a flakier crust than telomere shortening. Everyone knows that. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
now now, Anakin wanted to prevent the ones close to him from dying not to live forever, and Ild much prefer it via means that dont harm a significant amount of people around me.

You say that now, but once you taste the sweet, sweet power of the dark side, you won't care so much about those around you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

You can also always get a painting to do the aging for you. Just try not to look at it.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
There are genes that cause aging. The focus on anti-aging research right now is on stopping those genes.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

You can also always get a painting to do the aging for you. Just try not to look at it.
Oh, you can look at it. Just don't get ticked off at it and try to stab it or something.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lack of a phylactery" is typically the number one cause of aging.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Being a lich is a horrible way to go, but in all honesty I wanna sorta be like the librarian dude from DragonLance.
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
"to the well educated mind, death is but the next great adventure"
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aah... death...

I honestly do not know of a foolproof way to avoid dying completely, and personally do not really want to. Sometimes I find the prospect of death rather appealing.
Besides the reason why everybody dies, is that it gives life so much more value, the knowledge that it's just temporary.
So Blayne, my question to you is: Why don't you want to die? You'll probably answer that life is such a pleasant experience. Well, if a pleasant experience continous without end, it will eventually lose all of its initial attraction. The amount of time to achieve this varies, depending the pleasurable activity one is engaged in.
If your fantasy scenario of being alive in about 450 years, while still having the appearance of someone in his prime, would come true I think you would find it hard to cope with it over time. Just to throw in another Highlander reference; think of Methos, he's been around for 5000 years and his unique point of view regarding history has not made him a happy man (at least not when he's first introduced). Obviously this situation is based on the assumption that you will be the only one to have immortality. That way you'll find new depths in your understanding of the word/sensation loneliness. It also assumes you will keep the ability of empathy.
Now, if somehow everybody were to become immortal, we'd have to cope with a whole different set of problems. Remember the fact that the immortals in Highlander do not have the ability to procreate? This might have to become reality if we were all immortal, otherwise the population would just get out of hand. At the very least, nature would try to compensate by allowing these 'new humans' far slimmer chances of conceiving, thereby decreasing the number of births.

"Who wants to live forever?" Not me, that's for sure. But if you still desire it I wish you good luck in tour quest for answers.

GaalDornick, rivka & jlt: I concur.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

m reason why theidea is appealing is so that I can continue to observe history in the making and be here when interesting things happen.

Besides it should take the better part of eternity to figure out how to program my VCR.

Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't want to live forever.

What if you were cast out of a space ship into the void? You couldn't die, but you might spend a metaphorical eternity floating through space. And it wouldn't be as interesting as Bender's little trip either.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
What causes dying?

Me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Being born.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

no i defined immortality as not aging, the other thing is invincibility which I do not want, if i get hit by a bus then I am dead that I accept.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
There are genes that cause aging. The focus on anti-aging research right now is on stopping those genes.

I recently heard something on the health channel or science channel that mentioned research showing that what we consider "aging" spontaneously stops at some point in the elderly who live long enough. Right now some are focusing on finding out exactly why that is and if there is a way to get it to happen at a younger age.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I think we naturally take certain risks in our lives(completely unconsciously) based on some internal sense of how those risks relate to our expected lifespan. If we never aged, then the probability of dying unnaturally would rise to 100%, which could lead to people never leaving their homes or living their lives at all for fear of death at any moment.

"on a long enough time line the survival rate for everybody drops to zero."

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Re: "genes that cause aging"

Wikipedia has a good overview in the article on apoptosis.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The true secret to immortality lies on Zeist.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Being born.

Life is an STD with a 100% mortality rate [Big Grin]

I personally do not believe we will ever find a way to live forever, though living hundreds of years may one day be a possibility.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

One of the classic articles on this topic was Eastern J, Drucker C, and Wolf J's "The inheritance pattern of death," J Irreproducible Results 28:22-23, 1982.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I would not enjoy the idea of living forever. I have no interest in seeing humanity committing the same errors over and over again, seeing us rejoice and panic over things that we take to be new or that I would have seen coming centuries ago, yet nobody listened. Life would probably become one giant extended facedesk moment.

The rest of my reasons for favouring death to physical immortality fall under a theological point of view.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that there's a really effective way to prevent aging, and thus death. It involved a very involved, very difficult daily regement of fire (sex), water (bathing), air (circular breathing) and earth (I don't remember, I think eating certain foods). The main jist was that by strenuously repeating these acts in particularly specified ways, one could convince their body that they were in the prime of their life forever. Their body would never age, and would never die, because it would constantly keep itself at peek condition.

I believe the only people that reportedly succeeded in this task succeeded stupendously, but their happiness was heavily seasoned with dispair.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
no i defined immortality as not aging, the other thing is invincibility which I do not want, if i get hit by a bus then I am dead that I accept.

I feel like the irony of the universe would make sure that anyone who had figured out how to defeat aging would get hit by a bus. Like, immediately.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think...that the only reason we die...is because we accept it...as an inevitability. Haa!!"
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't mind death... I just don't want to be there when it happens."
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
What causes dying?

Me.

Chuck Norris would like to have a word with you regarding that.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
m reason why theidea is appealing is so that I can continue to observe history in the making and be here when interesting things happen.

I wonder what this would do to one's memory? Until we invent a way to store and backup memories, we have very limited capacity to work with. I'm not sure what hundreds or thousands of years of memories would do to a person. It would be a shame to lose large portions of your life just because you couldn't store everything in memory.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Arent we only using 11% of our mental capacity as is? cant we remember more if we can figure out how to?
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Arent we only using 11% of our mental capacity as is?
I was under the impression that the study showed we are only using a portion of our brains at any given time, but taken over a time period, we use our entire brains. I'll try to find a link.... In any case, our memory capacity is finite, whether we are using our entire brains or not. If the length of a life is infinite, that creates issues.

[Added]

Here's a good link about the 10% myth.

[ March 21, 2007, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: camus ]

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, if I knew I would live forever, I'd become the worst procrastinator EVER! I'd be saying "I'll get that done tomorrow" for, like, 800 years.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

it talks about the myth but doesnt nessasarily prove/disprove it afaik.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for gosh sakes. Read my lips: IT IS A MYTH.

Snopes
Straight Dope
How many links do you want?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.