FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When the Music's Over

Author Topic: When the Music's Over
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I think of Britney Spears, American Idol, Justin Timberlake, and what is on the Radio my belief is that the music I like is dead. It is all about pop and attitude with art and talent gone to the dogs. That goes even for the music that comes close to the kind I like.

My favorite musical "era" was short lived. The musical revolution of Alternative Rock lasted from about 1991 to 1997. It had such greats as Pearl Jam, Nirvana, R.E.M., The Smashing Pumpkins, and others. They were raw and yet filled with talent and purpose. These days bands that follow after them think that hitting the drums, strumming the electric guitar and screaming as loud as you can is good music.

My next favorite era was the 80s, with its explosion of all kinds of experimentation. Pop music (the kind that gets radio time) was rather good and had memorable lyrics and beats that I still can sing with. I could enjoy anything from the Police and Michael Jackson (really kids, he was good at one time) to Metallica without blinking.

Because I haven't been able to find ANY good music these days, my wife has no idea how much I enjoy music. There hasn't been any groups, movements, or albums I have been following since at least 1998 - with my last purchase so many years back I don't know what or when. In fact, I have been so desperate I have reached beyond my age, such as The Doors, The Beatles, and others in the 50s and 60s. Of course, this discussion doesn't touch upon Classical Music that I also like. That is a different subject.

My point? HELP! I need somebody . . .

to find music that is filled with feeling, talent, and just plain rock and roll style(soft and harder). It isn't that I am growing older. My taste is too varied to use that excuse. From what I have heard others say, I am not alone.

My interest in this subject came up after watching the movie "I Walk the Line," about Johnny Cash. Although I thought the story was horrible (the acting and movie itself was pretty good), it surprised me how much I enjoyed the music. Its age is probably why I have gone so far back in time with my current listening. There just isn't artists like that these days who know how to make music. Country music has taken over in the talent and heart department, but I have never liked more than a few songs. Most of those have been more crossover than pure genre.

And so I don't know what to do from here. I worry that my days of enjoying music have to be stuck in the past. Not too bad, there is plenty to explore. However, I like discovering something new and be surprised. Perhaps its too much to ask. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what you've said, I'd recommend The Arcade Fire, Jet, The Killers, The White Stripes, The Ditty Bops, and The Decemberists. (Note: I am sticking to contemporary bands, because there are LOTS of "classic rock" avenues you can explore.)

Good music is out there. It's not even hiding. It's just not being advertised in the places you'd think to look unless you're a college kid.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you aren't familiar with the Guess Who or Bachmann-Turner Overdrive, you really should be. The "Running Back Thru Canada" set is two live CDs from a relatively recent tour, and the sound is even better than the original recordings.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever tried Pandora or some of the streaming radio stations? They're really good places to find stuff you like.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
Great late 60s & early 70s groups worth a listen and/or worth checking out include the Birds, ELO, Steely Dan (timeless), Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young), Yes, The Who, Lynard Skynard, Ramones, The Kinks, Little Feat, Traffic, Cat Stevens, The Band, Ted Nugent, ELP.

Classical music is always an option...

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Pointing the right direction for some of these suggestions would be helpful. That is what links are for. Not that I couldn't do my own digging later if time and energy is the issue.

"Classical music is always an option... " Lets get things correct. There is Classic Rock and there is Classic Music. By the way, a lot of the ones you listed are pretty good. Like I said in so many words, I'm not a music dummy - just a little lost.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pointing the right direction for some of these suggestions would be helpful.
The Internet is not the best way to sample music. The best way to sample music is to go to a record store (or a Barnes & Noble or Borders, if you have no other local alternative) and put some cans on your ears and listen to the albums. For most of the older bands cited, just listening to their "Greatest Hits" collection should give you an idea of their sound.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternative music is horrible. Thank God that's over. But you're right, what passes for music today is record company created crap that they want to sell you.

I suggest you look into Johnny Cash's music. I love that stuff, he's a great writer and performer and I was on that bandwagon long before the movie.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Classical music is always an option... " Lets get things correct. There is Classic Rock and there is Classic Music..."

er, um, to avoid confusion about the the term "Classical Music" -
http://www.classical.net/music/rep/top.html

"By the way, a lot of the ones you listed are pretty good."... TKS

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the recommendation for Arcade Fire.

I'm kind of the same way. I grew up on radio pop but now I feel too old for it. I'm bored. Unless I'm tuning into a Classic Rock station on the short drive to school, I don't listen to the radio. While at a classmate's house working on a senior project, I was subjected to four hours of teen pop and club music. It was a sad, miserable time.

For new music, I really rely on friends. Whether its people with similar tastes or people who are on the other side of the music spectrum, there's always some band outside of pop culture just waiting to blow your mind. Music festivals are also good. I went with my ex to NOLA Jazzfest and became completely entranced by the folk stage. My favorite band is the Barenaked Ladies which draws some folk influence, so I was hooked once I heard the real thing. I mentioned one of the bands onstage to a friend who then hooked me on another band they liked from that genre.

Of course, for every new band that I fall in love with, there's ten recommendations that do nothing for me. It takes alot of sorting but it really opened my eyes to the fact that there was SOO much music that I would never hear on the radio.

And regarding movies, soundtracks are also a hidden resource. Alot of times, a music track will just jump out at me. I pick up the soundtrack to get the band names, then track down their albums. Doesn't always work since alot of bands are one-song wonders, but sometimes you get something great.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Third for Arcade Fire, and second for Decemberists.

And there's a new Modest Mouse album out tomorrow (or today, depending where you are.) You can stream it here to see if you'll like it. The former guitarist for The Smiths joined the band, so if you like '80s/'90s alternative type stuff, this might be a good choice.

Neko Case released an excellent album last year. If you're into Johnny Cash, her alt-country style might be close enough to make you happy. You can stream some of the tracks here.

There's a kid that goes by the name of Beirut who's released a fantastically creative album and another EP over the last couple years. You can stream a couple tracks here. Don't be fooled by the cheesy Casio keyboard loop that opens the first song that streams from the site. Just keep listening.

Based upon what I can gather of your taste, those would be my best recommendations for music from the last couple years. If you want to hear other new stuff, there were some good recommendations from this thread. The genres may stray farther from your comfort zone, but at least it might give you some hope that there are still people out there making real art.

And finally, one helpful place to keep up with good new stuff is the NPR All Songs Considered online archives. They have all their shows from the last several years archived, and you can listen to the entire shows or isolated full tracks that they discuss. Not everything they bring up on the show will fit your tastes, but they have a wide enough range that there's sure to be plenty of stuff on there you'll like. And the fact that they play full tracks is a great help in sorting the good stuff from the bad.

Hope that helps. [Smile]

[ March 20, 2007, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on new music long ago.

I find Arcade Fire to be tolerable and The Decemberists to be completely unbearable. Now, I like singers with non-traditional voices. I'm a huge Rush fan and I really enjoy Coheed and Cambria's First two albums. I am also madly in love with Flogging Molly. The lead singer for the Decemberists has a voice I can't stand.

A continuum for you:

Soft Music:
Azure Ray
Norah Jones

Middle Ground:
David Bowie
X
Flogging Molly
Coheed and Cambria
Meat Puppets
Dog Fashion Disco
The Distillers
The Misfits

Harder:
Between the Buried and Me

Maybe extra emphasis on the Meat Puppets if you don't already know about them, I found them because a roommate of mine liked Nirvana and Kurt Cobain really liked the Meat Puppets.

I suggest going to a public library that lends CD's and trying to look up the bands people are recommending there.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind music in Japanese, try Dir en grey.
With them you get Pink Floyd meets heavy metal meets some genre of music Dir en grey invented.
You just might not want to look up some of the lyrics of their songs... A few of them can be scandalous, but many of them have beautiful lyrics such as The Pledge on their latest album and Hotarubi on Macabre. Those are a couple of their softer songs. They play all kinds, and they are just about the best band ever, like those aformentioned 90s bands, only even better.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
- The Doors

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien Rice had a great first album. I hear his second is good, too.

Martin Sexton is awesome. So is Mason Jennings.

Dashboard Confessional, Guster, Jayhawks, Wilco ... there's lots of good alt contemporary music.

There's tons of 80's-esque revival music going on now. I heard a band on the radio the other day, I think it was The Killers, that was totally channeling a-ha.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'll second Flogging Molly, and throw in a Pogues mention while we're at it. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps i should write a list of non-evil Dir en grey songs. (They do have a good share of highly aggressive songs, which are beautiful in their own way, but not for everyone and not for the faint of heart)
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way. There are a few good bands out there. Incubus is one of my favorites.

My alltime favorite band is Dave Matthews Band. They are a true Jam Band. Listen to their live stuff. It's the best.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
http://somafm.com/

Try Groove Salad for something completely different.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you'd like them or not, but I bought the album "Hitch a Ride" by Funky Nashville on iTunes, and I love it. They're a little known band, independant label I think. They're not exactly rock in the tradition that you've described. They're certainly not country. It's hard to define their sound, really. But I like it a lot.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please. I'm as much a "music I grew up on RULEZ" snob as the next guy, but to deny that the rock music scene is more vital today than it has been in decades is to demonstrate your own ignorance. There are abso-friggin'-lutely brilliant bands working today, doing the best work of their careers, and thanks to the internet's democratization of music dissemination, many of them actually have a shot at getting heard by a wide audience.

Modest Mouse, whose new (and fantastic) album, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, came out today, is a great example- a hard-working band that toiled in obscurity for ten years before taking off, due heavily to word-of-mouth promotion of their previous album through online channels.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, who are also releasing a new album today (Living for the Living), are another. Leo writes infectious tunes with a combination of punk minimalism, classic rock fury, and a dollop of Celtic melody- a combination that is pretty much guaranteed to get him zero radio play. His band is unattractive, his album covers are poorly designed, and his band's name isn't exactly the catchiest phrase of all time, so it's fairly unlikely that you'd be inclined to give him a listen if you just ran across his record at Borders. That is, of course, assuming that Borders (or Sam Goody, or what have you) even allows you to sample his album at all- most stores only have audio samples of top-selling major label releases these days. But Leo's music is wonderful, and he and his band are moderately successful, because online distribution has made it very easy for anyone with ears and a modem to check out their work.

Okay, rant over. [Smile]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Flogging Molly had one of the best live shows I've ever seen. What a fun band.

Modest Mouse's early albums are some of my favorites.

Guster's my favorite college-pop band.

It's funny that you (Occasional) are even worried about finding good music today when there's SOOO much great music from the 90's that I'm still going through. There's a lot of great stuff today, too, it's just harder to find.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

"Oh, please. I'm as much a "music I grew up on RULEZ" snob as the next guy, but to deny that the rock music scene is more vital today than it has been in decades is to demonstrate your own ignorance."

Umm, I don't think I have hidden my own ignorance. Rather, it is because I had a high hope that it WAS out of ignorance that I asked the questions.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
URGENT:

I would check out the bands DecembeRadio and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. They're both Christian bands though, so I don't know if that changes things or not. As for non-Christian bands, I can't seem to recommend Black Stone Cherry enough.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i actually think the past year brought positive things in pop music. catchy, fun stuff, mostly by singer songwriters and peeps that can actually perform live.

aaaaand i actually really like the new justin timberlake album.
::shrug:: no wait, *awesome dance move*

i also liked the beyonce single, gwen stefani's two solo albums, fergalicious, lily allen, and corinne bailey rae. gnarls barkley may have topped pop for me last year.

that doesn't mean i don't also appreciate less mainstream talent.
cocorosie, blackalicious, gogol bordello, amadou and miriam, and goldfrapp have all released really good recent (past two years) albums.

M.I.A. still may be the best junk to break off a piece with.

I'm lucky, I have friends in the current pop industry that keep me fresh, and at my day job we have the best jukebox of old and obscure stuff. no, seriously, the best.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So a related note, is there any decent hardcore punk out there these days? Everything that is popular now is either emo-punk, frat-punk, or been done by Fat Mike and NoFX 10-15 years ago. I'm thinking Bad Religion/Pennywise in sound (hardcore punk with musicality).

-Bok

[ March 20, 2007, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok -

Good luck with that. I try not to bother classifying music, but hardcore punk (at least the stuff that tries to pass for hardcore these days) isn't very good. Strangely, I don't even consider Bad Religion hardcore punk, but then, I don't classify bands like normal people do.

Hmmm... they had a Misfits show in Detroit the last two years around Halloween, and I went to both. Now, as much as I love the Misfits, and as much as the shows are fun, The Addicts went on before the Misfits at the most recent one and put on the greatest show ever.

So, even though the Addicts aren't a new band, and they're not really hardcore IMO, they still put on a hell of a live show and you might like them.

Iggy Pop is touring in the US too, btw, but the tickets to the show near me sold out extremely fast [Frown]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Bad Religion isn't particularly hardcore, except their really early stuff,, but compared to today's brat punk, it's definitely more hardcore.

Ooo, Iggy Pop (not that he's particularly recent [Smile] ).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Bokonon, you should check out Bomb the Music Industry. They mix in some ska and reggae, but for the most part, are very aggressive punk rock. Since the "band" is pretty much the former lead singer of Arrogant Sons of Bitches recording songs in his bedroom with whatever instruments he has lying around (including, at one point, a Galaga arcade machine), BtMI has a very distinctive sound. You can legally download an entire album for free from their label's website.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
aaaaand i actually really like the new justin timberlake album.
::shrug:: no wait, *falls flat on face, on fire*

See, it seems to me like Justin Timberlake is only getting attention from a wide variety of people is because the "eh" music he's making now feels more grown up and authentic than the refuse he's been involved with in the past.

Separately, I completely recommend to anyeveryone looking for looking for/keeping up with new music to go to WFMU, and read their (mostly) music blog. Chances are you'll find plenty of new stuff you like and an equal amount of older stuff that had slipped under your radar.
A fun thing to do to get into the groove of the site, because it's pretty large and intimidating, is going over to the artist browser and find an act you like and listen to the show it was played on. I've found countless bands I've become very dedicated to just doing that.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've found countless bees I've become very dedicated to just doing that.
No one should like bees that much.

I agree that Justin is not crossing any boundaries or pushing any envelopes except for the ones already set forth within his career - but i like the direction it is going, and i appreciate smooth dance tunage.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Pandora.com

A friend recommended it and its addictive. You can enter a band or song you like and then it plays songs/artists that you may like. It will even tell you why its recommended the songs it plays (such as similar lyrical side or rhythm sections, etc.)

I've tried other websites that do this, but this is the best version I've seen yet. I already have a long list of music to check out and purchase.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I hate pop. All pop. Any pop, unless its soda pop. At least, not since the 80s when there was so many kinds of pop to choose from that came from an assortment of musical traditions. These days you get either rap (I hate) or Kids on the Block type company produced groups.

I haven't had time to look at a lot of the suggestions, but I would like some harder stuff. You know, the kind you can bang your head; yet still showing talent rather than loud and screaming for the heck of it. Anything for that?

I'll have to try pandora.com as it sounds interesting.

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Careful Occasional, you are teetering on the border of Jazz. Next thing you know it'll be chunky sweaters, comfortable loafers and a serious face.

Eek, that's me! Time for a punk infusion... [Big Grin]

BTW, I have 'obtained' a copy of Rolling Stone "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" collection. If you feel bored, have a go at winnowing the tracks you don't like... Try it! It's like the untimate MP3 collection with something for everyone. I defy to not find a track that you like.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
Alternative music is horrible. Thank God that's over. But you're right, what passes for music today is record company created crap that they want to sell you.

If you don't like it, don't buy it! It's not the responsiblity of record labels to police taste. I'm sorry, but I'm sick of this kind of attitude. There is plenty of music out there. If you don't like what you're seeing on MTV, then don't buy it. Get off your butt and find some music you do like instead of blaming your lack of selection on record labels.

Then again, I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio until I was ~14. I also don't think that a song has to be an absolutely glorious work of art to be a fun song that I can enjoy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Get off your butt and find some music you do like instead of blaming your lack of selection on record labels.
Do you think that record labels have no effect upon the promotion and popularity of music? If so, what do record labels do?
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Get off your butt and find some music you do like instead of blaming your lack of selection on record labels.
Do you think that record labels have no effect upon the promotion and popularity of music? If so, what do record labels do?
I'm not saying that they have no effect on the popularity of music. I'm saying that it's not the record label's responsibility to make sure that people are listening to what a certain individual deems to be "quality" music. If you don't want it, you shouldn't buy it. If you don't like what you hear on the radio, you shouldn't listen to the radio. Find other channels of discovering music if it means that much to you. Go to shows. Give a local band five bucks for a CD. Check out Pandora. Go to a mom and pop music store and buy something at random.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the way to find new things I like is to work through association with other things. If there's an album you absolutely love, look it up on Amazon and check out the section that says "people who bought this album also like..." it's a neverending chain of goodness. [Smile]

I went through the entire history of music when I was in college. In high school, I listened to pretty much exclusively country, and then when I got to college I was learning to play guitar and had my own personal rock & roll 20th century. I finally ended up, though, on world music. While some of the new American rock is groovy (I really like the White Stripes), I haven't really cared so much about "the scene" within the borders. Because of the internet and associative sampling, I've become pretty exclusively a world music fan.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

"Find other channels of discovering music if it means that much to you. Go to shows. Give a local band five bucks for a CD. Check out Pandora. Go to a mom and pop music store and buy something at random."

Although I agree with you on much of this, not everyone has these abilities. Time, place, and age does not always allow such things; although the Internet has been a good source. Outside of High School and College (and perhaps large cities), I don't think people realize how beholden most people are to the big record labels and radio stations for intruduction to bands. Its easy when your young and free. Not so much when you have responsibilities that take most of your day.

pH
Member # 1350

Pandora is available to anyone with Internet access. And of course, Annie suggested Amazon.com. Heck, you can find new music at Best Buy if you really want to (I often fall victim to the $8 impulse CD rack so craftily placed next to the checkout line). If you live near a venue, you can go to a concert instead of a movie...and chances are, you live near a venue and don't know it.

-pH

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain spice:
I agree that Justin is not crossing any boundaries or pushing any envelopes except for the ones already set forth within his career - but i like the direction it is going, and i appreciate smooth dance tunage.

Psh! Yeah. Whatever, be rounded and sensible or whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
not since the 80s when there was so many kinds of pop to choose from that came from an assortment of musical traditions. These days you get either rap (I hate) or Kids on the Block type company produced groups.

See, I think pop was at its most wretched in the 80s. I suppose the thing about 'Pop Music' now is that all the, in my opinion, really fantastic popy bands aren't ones getting mainstream success or radio play.

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:

I haven't had time to look at a lot of the suggestions, but I would like some harder stuff. You know, the kind you can bang your head; yet still showing talent rather than loud and screaming for the heck of it. Anything for that?

NOmeansno's "Wrong". Go!

[ March 21, 2007, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: The Flying Dracula Hair ]

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, I think some truly great bands came out as a result of the alternative movement. Every once in a while I am seized by Stone Temple Pilots and I have to listen to all their CD's especially "The Purple Album." If you want some great solid rock but the kind that brings a smile to your face try,

Jimmy Eat World: They got alot of radio time over the past 5 years, but try the song, "Get it Faster." from their album "Bleed American." The song has a guitar solo that positively sets fire to my senses when I hear it. Or try "Pain" from their album "Futures." Their sound early early on was quite fierce but its developed a feel that I can only describe as beautiful. They just get keep getting better and better as far as I am concerned and they have more then enough amazing songs for a compilation CD.

If you want a slightly lighter version of a similar sound try "The Get Up Kids." "Action and Action." as well as, "The One You Want."

White Stripes are a solid suggestion, "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" just plain rocks out.

Surprisingly "Tenacious D" which is a sort of parody on glam rock does an AMAZING job some of the time in their compositions. Most of their songs have comedic lyrics but try "Wonderboy."

Did you like Weezer? They released their first album in the early 90's. If you look carefully at some of their other CDs you can find some REALLY solid rock tunes.

How do you feel about Metal? Try "Rusty Nail" by "X Japan." They are Japanese but alot of their songs have English lyrics, but I really like that particular song.

I know most of the emo you hear on the radio is kinda whiny but in the early scene the sound was much closer to hard rock. And there are still some contemporary folks that have adopted a more honest and powerful approach to emo.

All American Rejects have some interesting offerings (Change Your Mind and Swing Swing), and I really disliked My Chemical Romance but their latest stuff has been undeniably good to me (I don't love you and Famous Last Words (there is part in the latter song where he clearly was channeling Smashing Pumpkins)).

Did you like Red Hot Chili Peppers during the 90's? Blood Sugar Sex Magik is an amazing album by any standard, unfortunately the lyrics on several of the songs are bit over the top dirty so listen with caution. Man I miss funk SO much.

edit: oh two things! You can find alot of music interestingly enough on youtube, they have either bootleg concert videos or the music videos on most bands.

One more random rockin song for you, "Ride" by "The Vines." GO LISTEN!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Another thumbs up for The Arcade Fire. They're amazing.

The Strokes are a really good band and if you like hard rock try out Velvet Revolver.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

hee hee hee - my roommate once went to Amoeba (huge LA record store) and bought like twelve used cds based purely on the names and album art.

i think she ended up with .03 good albums [Smile]

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

Ha! I've done that once. It was also a record from the cheapo area at Amoeba, I was so struck by the cover I had to have it. Ended up being fantastic.
Did it two other times at a Japanese marketplace, failed there unfortunately.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good music is out there. It's not even hiding. It's just not being advertised in the places you'd think to look unless you're a college kid."

Yes.
I suggest you go to a music festival.
The season is upon us, especially if you live in a warmer clime.
You will be exposed to a world of music. Even a world of "world music."

A good selection of off-the-beaten-track music is here:

www.funkyside.com

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Durring the 80s Jackson was bigger than Elvis in the 50s and the Beatles in the 60s. He was HUGE.

Amid all the crazy stuff he's been through, I almost forget how much I enjoyed his stuff in the early days, music and videos.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Occasional,
The music is over there and here, but never done. Never finished. Contrary to popular myth, the music revolution will continue [enter Tommy Lee Jones' monologue from Under Siege].
You can look here for the 'pointers' but writing “there hasn't been any - “ reminds me of the logic thread at Ornery, maybe somewhere else... however, the Force is With You. Force those cans on your ears and listen. “My wife has no idea how much I enjoy music” I don't know either. The adventurer jumps levels quicker than the NPC; excitement? Surprises? These are not left on the porch with the milk bottle.
You have friends, enemies and neighbors living their world of music. There are magazines and yes, the Internet is an excellent avenue.
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music&MyToken=5365ed33-a290-4de8-a4f1-05cd5ed493dd

Songbird - http://www.songbirdnest.com/

Barnes & Noble does offer samples on most everything that All Music lists! http://allmusic.com/

There will not be a Demolition Man future of jingle advert radio, “What? A two minute song! I don't have the patience for anything that long.” For every Tori Amos there is a reaction. Sex Pistol wears “Pink Floyd Sucks” T-shirt. Supergroup Yes at the same venue as Black Sabbath?! It happened. Listen to Roger Miller for a different flavor of country.
When the music's over, you've stopped listening(period)
I never thought I'd purchase an album by an African American. I like He Got Game by PE. I like Mr Lif, I like KRS One.
Why would I want to buy any female's album? I found jem, Lacuna Coil, Broadcast, Curve, The Andrews Sisters, Vas.
International music? Never. Oh, I like that: Kodo, Boubacar, Hamza El Din, Ba Cissoko.
Music 'from' the Andes? Oh, I like this mystical Jorge Alfano.
New Age? NO WAY. Strunz & Farah? Okay. Armik? Yes.
Tibetan Bells? Cool.
Electronica? Dabrye, Vitalic. Where is Algeria and who cares? DJ Cheb i Sabbah.
Who else is there besides Marley? Elan, The Congos.
Jazz? Nomo sounds great.
I'm never going to listen to classical! Orlando Consort - the Rose, the Lily & the Whortleberry. Oh, beautiful. I like the pan pipes. What is there for me? Jean Claude Mara's Gregorian Themes. Oh, what is that piercing sound? Glass harmoica? Yeah!
Russian music? Oh, music from the Russian Monasteries! Belorussian Dulcimer? Sweet!
For every “I'll never” my ears and my brain (new Rolling Stone article) discovered an 'exception.'

p.s. I like Britney's new look, the sheared head is awesome. And if he she finds a musical direction to accompany it, I'll give her a listen.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.