FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Awesome Blossom DC Hatrack Con!

Author Topic: Awesome Blossom DC Hatrack Con!
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Any hatrackers interested in getting together for this on the 14th of April? Katharina and I were kicking around the idea and thought it would be a nice time to have another gathering [Big Grin] .

List of events

Edit: changed the title, thanks katharina [Smile]

[ March 22, 2007, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: ladyday ]

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! [Big Grin]

I think this will be fun. The blossoms are supposed to come out the first week of the festival, so the 14th will be the most beautiful time of the year in DC. I moved here this time last year, and I thought it looked like something out of a fairy tale. Plus, it's the biggest event on the Mall all year. ANd most of it is free.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be in DC that weekend to visit Georgetown.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey, that's perfect! And MattB goes to Georgetown - you could ask him about it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Awesome - what's he doing there? I'm considering going there for a Ph.D in Economics. They're making some very tempting offers, but I don't know if I want to pick up and move from one coast to the other.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

MattB is getting a PhD in American History. That's cool you're considering it for a graduate degree - I asked him about it last night and he was afraid he wouldn't have any perspective on an undergraduate and I couldn't remember where you were in your schooling.

Congratulations on the tempting offers. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rats! Nathan and I won't be in the area until the following week. I hear the blossoms are beautiful!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn! Chris and I fly out to Denver on 4/14 and will be gone for 3 weeks. Otherwise we'd be there for sure!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

Have fun -- wish I could be there!

The cherry blossoms are at peak bloom here in my neighborhood in Georgia right now. And so are my allergies *ach-OO!!*

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun, but I'll be in California that week. I've lived within 30 minutes of DC my entire life, but have never gone to see the cherry blossoms.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in NOLA for a wedding [Frown] .

But have a great time!

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pass. I love the festival and the blossoms, but it would be so much better withouth all the people [Grumble]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! Unless my boss decides there's one more show she needs me to go to.

I'm gonna have a marathon couple of weeks after that, though.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in - just remind me not to attempt to drive into DC that day.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed. I can't be there. :sigh:
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm in. I'll have to check and see how much work I have that weekend, but that sounds like a plan. Yay! I'm excited now!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

*bumpkins*

An' for those in the area who can't make it to this one, I'm sure there will be others...maybe even this spring/summer [Smile] .

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The blossoms are out in force, and I just spent a weekend driving all over Virginia. The city is beautiful right now. More so than usual.
kwsni
Member # 1831

Sooo...do we have any real plans yet?

Kat, check your Sake PM.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Checked, and I wrote you back. [Smile]

I saw something that I think Hatrackers might be interested in. It's kind of expensive, but we could eat hot dogs on the mall for lunch and save the money for this, if anyone is interested. I want to go regardless - though it would be fun to go with y'all. [Smile]

Bodies the Exhibition

ladyday
Member # 1069

Oh, I wouldn't mind seeing that [Big Grin] .

So do we want to meet somewhere on the mall at, say, 11:00 on Saturday?

kwsni
Member # 1831

That looks cool, Kat.

I'm SO looking forward to just getting off the farm for this. I haven't been out of Charlottesville since Josh was here.

Ni!

katharina
Member # 827

So, do y'all want to do it? I think three is critical mass. [Smile]

I think meeting on the mall at eleven sounds great. That gives me time to attend my networking weight-lifting class and still get there in time. [Smile]

ladyday
Member # 1069

Any preference as to where on the mall? Are we all metroing in or are there folks who will have to worry about parking?
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad I can't make it...going out of town...but there goes my chance to become real! [Frown] Maybe another time.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I'm sad you won't be there. [Frown]

For everyone else, what about...the steps of teh national Archive? Those facing the mall? That way we can get off on the Archive/Navy Memorial stop and possibly avoid the HUGE crowds at Smithsonian. Also, there are hot dog stands around there, and I think there's a tour starting at one. What do y'all think?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bodies the Exhibition is in Rosslyn, not D.C. Do you know what time you'll be getting to the exhibit? Eve and I would like to meet you, but aren't sure we can attend the other activities.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I was thinking we'd go in the evening to the exhibit, because the Festival stuff is during the day.

Yay! That'd be great if you could come. Matt is coming to just the evening stuff too - he said the exhibit sounds interesting, and he could go watch Grindhouse while we are "shoving each other around on the Mall."

I was thinking the 7:30 or 8:00 exhibit. We should get tickets today or tomorrow. To group: Is 8:00 okay?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll check tonight!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

8 is good for me.

Kat: I may not be able to make it out of here at a decent time on friday due to the hellacious week I'm having, and looks like will be continuing. If I show up saturday, should I meet you at your place, or just show up at the mall?

Ni!

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
The exhibit sounds good to me and 8's fine and the archives at 11 is also good for me.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Great! Okay, I think we should buy tickets for Saturday as soon as we can, because that will be opening day and we should get them ahead of time. I'm going to buy my ticket for eight o'clock right now.

Kwsni, I am going to Networking Aerobics Saturday morning, but I'm a little worried about you finding a place to park on the mall. What do you think? I figured I'd drive to Pentagon City, park at the mall, and take the metro in, so if you want to not worry about coordinating with me you could do that as well. I guess it depends on timing - any idea of what time you'd arrive?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I just bought ours. Should we meet by the will call booth?
katharina
Member # 827

That sounds great. Maybe at 7:40? Or do y'all want to go to dinner before? I imagine we'll eat before then, and there's a Five Guys and something with pasta one metro stop down.
kwsni
Member # 1831

Kat: I'm actually amazed at how much everything has calmed down today, so I think I can manage Friday night. It might be 8 or 9 by the time I get there, though. I am a terrible parallel-parker, there's no way I could manage the mall in my Explorer. I don't mind waiting around while you're in your class. I'm just happy to be getting out of C'ville.

Also, I will bring your Veronica Mars dvds back.

Ni!

Ni!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
That sounds great. Maybe at 7:40? Or do y'all want to go to dinner before? I imagine we'll eat before then, and there's a Five Guys and something with pasta one metro stop down.
I missed this yesterday - I hope you see this. We already have dinner plans, so we'll meet you there at 7:40.
Jhai
Member # 5633

I'm going to have to bow out of this weekend, guys, as I'm pretty sick. I accepted Georgetown's offer however, so I'm going to be in DC for quite awhile.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.