FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Got Kicked Out of My Former Band...

Author Topic: I Got Kicked Out of My Former Band...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Creative differences?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't know. We hadn't even had a rehearsal yet. We'd just been planning. Next thing I know, I'm not in it.

Let me rephrase that, next thing I figured out without them being kind enough to tell me, I wasn't in it. They didn't tell me. I had to figure it out.

And I still have absolultely no idea why they kicked me out.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah... CaptainAmerica is dead.
The good news being that you are now a WhiteZombie.
The bad news being that your fingers fall off when you play.

[ March 21, 2007, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You're teenagers, they're idiots. There is often very little rhyme or reason to their thought processes.

And I'm sorry if I'm snapping, it's been a rough day.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's just the point. I'm not playing. I'm not in the band anymore. And I really thought it was going to work out. I really really wanted to do it.

breyerchic- That's alright. I understand how that goes.

On the bright side, I might be getting a part-time job at a local bank. Yay for pay checks!

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is where you start your own band and be better than them. Then they'll feel silly about leaving you out.

Or you can mope.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
This is where you start your own band and be better than them. Then they'll feel silly about leaving you out.

I've been thinking about that. But I can't actually play the bass very well yet. And I don't own one personally. I can't sing. Or play drums. Or play guitar. And I'm not great at lyrics. I suppose I could try anyway?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon put what I wanted to say with less invectives than I would use, so I'll quote him:

quote:

Or you can mope.

Oh, I can't resist.

quote:

I've been thinking about that. But I can't actually play the bass very well yet. And I don't own one personally. I can't sing. Or play drums. Or play guitar. And I'm not great at lyrics. I suppose I could try anyway?

If it really matters to you, start working hard, every day. Janis Joplin, for instance, worked incredibly hard to perfect her music; it worked, but at what a cost.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't sing. Or play drums. Or play guitar. And I'm not great at lyrics. I suppose I could try anyway?
You sure can.
Though, being able to play an instrument is kind of important to being in a band. I'd recomend taking this as an opportunity to learn to play. Go get your hands on a guitar or bass and learn a few chords or scales. Sure, it might not be as fun as playing with other people, but if you put in some time now I would bet that pretty soon you'll have no problem finding another band.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Check out this new band.

I might try and fool around with some different effects on my computer. Does anyone with a little more expierence know what kind of program I need to add different sound effects and clips to make a song?

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Be a rapper.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm not a big fan of rap. I was just thinking of combining and layering different sound effects with words put over them. Different pitch effects, so they make some sort of underlying melody.

I have an iMac G5, so is it possible to do that on that computer?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

I think I may have pinpointed the reason why they kicked you out of the band. It was childish of them not to tell you, but someone who can't play so much as a tambourine probably doesn't have much business being in a band.

On the bright side; you're young. You have plenty of time to learn an instrument or three.

And an Apple G5 is supremely well suited to record stuff on, as I understand it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it is, it's possible to make music with anything. You just have to have something to convey.
I think Khonnor creates meaningful music and he uses junk to make it.

People aren't joking when they say "where there's a will there's a way", it is passion that makes music and it is passion that touches people through it.

As JT had mentioned your computer is actually a pretty ideal machine. If anything should be bogging you down it's the possibilities. If it came with Garage Band try fiddling around with that, it has some built in synths and lets you use your keyboard as a piano.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:

I think I may have pinpointed the reason why they kicked you out of the band. It was childish of them not to tell you, but someone who can't play so much as a tambourine probably doesn't have much business being in a band.

On the bright side; you're young. You have plenty of time to learn an instrument or three.

And an Apple G5 is supremely well suited to record stuff on, as I understand it.

Yeah, that's why I think you should be a rapper [Smile] . It is a lot easier to just write raps and stuff rather than learning a whole new instrument. You could even rap to rock music, like Gym Class Heroes or better yet Mos Def or the Roots. Rapping for me comes easily, but I mean you have to be able to contribute something worth giving to the band, otherwise there's really no point in being in one. You should just do what you do best when it comes to music, whatever that is.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:
As JT had mentioned your computer is actually a pretty ideal machine. If anything should be bogging you down it's the possibilities. If it came with Garage Band try fiddling around with that, it has some built in synths and lets you use your keyboard as a piano.

I've looked at GarageBand, but I can't figure out how to get it to actually record the music. It has stuff on there already, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Edit:

I need a GarageBand tutorial as well as a way to get access to random sound effects that I can then put on GarageBand. Like cameras clicking and flashing. That kind of sound effect.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:

Actually, I just got told that they kicked me out because the other guy (who also couldn't play an instrument) was picking up the bass pretty quick. And they didn't even give me a chance to learn. He switches from learning guitar to bass instead, and they kick me out despite the fact I didn't even get to touch the bass that we had. Who knows? I could be a freaking bass guitar genius.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

If it's any help my cousin makes beats for music for fun. He makes like disco-influenced R&B and a bit of rap. A lot of pop too. When I asked him how he made them, he said he just took samples of music from songs and then meshed them together to make music. Maybe you should try that, I mean, that's how most producers make their music nowadays.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

How does he mix the songs?
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
part time job? awesome, save up money for a bass or a guitar and gets to practicin' every spare chance you have.

watching my little brother was quite inspirational. he really wanted to play the guitar and after getting a cheap starter, he just started learning every way he could and playing every chance he had.

now the kid is seventeen and rocks the frikkin' socks off.
but he plays _all_ the time. it's amazing what you can do when you put effort into it and have patience with yourself and the process.

go learn all the stuff you can and then make them feel bad.
which is of course the ultimate in life.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
How does he mix the songs?

I'm not exactly sure about that, but I do know that he has a lot of instruments and he plays them, and he'll like record them. Then he'll record the sample, and like play it back onto the record. Like if you're looking for what Kanye West does or something like that, you take a sample of an R&B song and speed it up, and then reduce the speed to how fast you want it to be on the track you're making, so it will get that high pitched sound that he is trademarked for. You would record that, and then play it over what you recorded over your instruments I guess. I'm not exactly sure but I know he has a website with a lot of his music on it. I forgot it though [Frown]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You experiment with layering instruments and samples in garageband. There are tons of tutorials and tips on how to record online. But the best way is to experiment.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Dragon put what I wanted to say with less invectives than I would use, so I'll quote him

Just wanted to point out that I'm a girl.

Otherwise please, carry on. [Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - check out the forums on this blog - createdigitalmusic.com. (The forums are createdigitalnoise.com) They're geared towards digital music making with whatever platform you please, and are a fantastic resource. And if you don't find your answer there already, post a question!
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're teenagers, they're idiots. There is often very little rhyme or reason to their thought processes.

And I'm sorry if I'm snapping, it's been a rough day.

Now here's odd behaviour. It's not as if the snap slipped out of your mouth before you could stop it... you typed it, then typed the apology, then hit send...

In other words, you choose to do something, decided you needed to apologize for it, then did it anyways, and to top the trick off, you managed to put the responsibility for both your choices off onto your "bad day."

Awesome.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm not sure you're clear on the definition of 'if'. Although you seem pretty solid on 'holier-than-thou'.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Dragon put what I wanted to say with less invectives than I would use, so I'll quote him

Just wanted to point out that I'm a girl.
What? There's no such thing as girl dragons! They're all boys, just like dogs.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

oh dear...

Well. That has certainly put a new spin on the last twenty years.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of help.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
You experiment with layering instruments and samples in garageband. There are tons of tutorials and tips on how to record online. But the best way is to experiment.

How do you get sound clips on there? I can't get any thing to record on there...
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, there is a sample/loop library in GarageBand. Go to the very bottom of the screen, where the dark gray strip with the play, record and volume controls are. On the extreme left is an eye icon. Click on it and you will be given a menu of loops, grouped by instrument or genre. When you click on, say, "Percussion," a list of loops pops out on the right. Click on one to preview it. When you find one you like, drag it onto the top work area, and a track will be created with that loop in it. You can copy and paste it repeatedly or add other loops after it. You can layer sounds by dragging new clips under that track and creating a new track.

That should get you started playing around with it. Later you can get a midi keyboard and a mic and begin to play/record your own original stuff. You can get a USB cable for your bass and plug it in as well.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I figured it out. We have a mic here...I just don't know if it works. Because I made a pretty sweet tune with the premade stuff. I just want to figure out how to slam some vocals in there.

As for the bass, it's not mine. It was a group bass. I have little/no access to it.

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure you're clear on the definition of 'if'. Although you seem pretty solid on 'holier-than-thou'.
So are you. Ironic, huh?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Nope, I was wrong. Look up 'holier-than-thou', too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.