FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lisey's Story"- a confession

Author Topic: "Lisey's Story"- a confession
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't get through it.

Yep, Stephen King's latest. For all the time I had for reading last week while I was in California, for all the critical blurbs about the marvelous insights King has into the inner life of a marriage, Lisey's Story is the first book I can remember since Iain M. Banks' Feersum Endjinn (which had long segments written phoenetically) that the very prose style became so irritating that I was forced to put it down.

It made me want to say: "Yes, every marriage may have its own secret language. But most married people have the good sense not to inflict that language on people outside of the marriage." And for good reason. After a certain amount of- pardon my language- "smuck" on virtually every page, I began to wonder if I had been secretly kidnapped to the village of the Smurfs.

Has anyone finished this one? Am I missing out? If I suffer through another hundred pages, will I discover that I'm missing some genuinely wonderful and insightful story? Because, right now, I'm thinking if someone talked to me like Lisey's internal monologue talks to the readers, I'd move to another seat on the bus.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it, but a friend said it was the best King she had ever read. Go figure. I guess I will just have to try it and see what happens.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm a die-hard King fan.... and I had trouble with Lisey as well. Not knowing how far you are, I'm afraid to explain why because I don't want to leave spoilers.

I mucked my way through it, largely because I just can't *not* finish a story once I've started it. And in the end I thought it was okay. Not great, not even good. And certainly not what I've come to expect from King.

Now his son.... woooooooooooooboy. Joe Hill, "Heart Shaped Box". That really reads like Classic King.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Read it, and I have to agree with Sterling. It read like bad Dean Koontz. (I really like Koontz' stuff, but he can write some real clunkers.) This story went nowhere. The central conflict was to easily and predicably resolved. The story was filled with needless fluff and took forever to get to the point. Sure he has some very memorable and nicely written scenes, but the over effort was a waste.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read King's latest, so I'm going to chime in on Feersum Endjinn. Ye gods, that was annoying. It turns out, though, that you can just cut that character's narrative from the book and still have a coherent story, so that's what I ended up doing.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to it on audiobook while doing my Christmas knitting (there was a lot of it last year), and I pretty much agree with what Mig said. I'm glad I got the download for free with a trial Audible membership and didn't spend money on it.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't like King's novels. They bore me. They're usually too long, too much description, etc.

His short stories, on the other hand, are great. I think the very nature of the media forces him to get to the point quicker, which makes for great reading.

SO I usually don't read his novels.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.