FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you smarter than a 5th grader... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are you smarter than a 5th grader...
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch a lot of TV, and Niki happened to just leave it on whatever channel this abomination is on.

They had a young woman on who was... well... probably about as dumb as a chair.

There were two questions she had to answer while I was watching:

Q1: "True or false: North America in the Eastern Hemisphere?"

She answered "True", but there was some kid who also got to answer, who said the right answer, and somehow she still won money [Dont Know] .

Then the next question was:

" y = 3x 3x = 12, what is y?"

She was going to go with '4', but then changed her mind and decided to keep the money ($50,000!).

I think I died a little inside.

Did they take the audience, give them a quiz, and then take the absolute dumbest to let them play?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that makes for more amusing television, I guess. Like when Jay Leno does Jaywalking, they only show the dumb people 'cause it wouldn't be funny if they just knew the answers.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched the show a half dozen times, and I got one question wrong because I didn't know that numbers were adjectives.

But when people believe that Alaska can't be more west than California because it's so far north, or have to ask for help because they aren't sure what the country to the north of us is... it makes me sad for the future of our nation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Do you know how they pick the contestants? I'd imagine that if it is random, they will eventually pick someone who has at least average intelligence, and then there goes the game.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing, Xavier. I wonder if it is a Reverse Jeopardy sort of thing, where they pick you based on the number of answers you got wrong.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched one as well.

All I can say is I want to go on that show.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you that I am smarter than a 5th grader, and many people I've talked to about this show are as well. The only question I was not able to answer was something to do with teaspoons and tablespoons, and that doesn't really bother me. I believe they make the contestants take a quiz and they take the people that don't necessarily score the highest. There's no other reason for someone not knowing what country borders the US to the north, or what continent is also its own country.

PS I still like watching the show to see how dumb people really are.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
are numbers really adjectives? they don't describe the actual item. I don't agree that they are adjectives. not in the usual sense.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing you and I have in common Lyr. I made the same mistake. Who knew?

5th graders apparently, but the ones I teach don't even know what adjectives ARE, until I teach them in the course of my band class. No offense to any Hatrack english teachers out there, but it truly makes me wonder what the heck goes on in those other classrooms.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sorry, you've lost our game. And, incidentally, your voting rights."

[Evil]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that more modern grammars classify numbers as determiners—a class of words including things like articles—not adjectives. The English taught in fifth grade is somewhat outdated, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I've watched the show a half dozen times, and I got one question wrong because I didn't know that numbers were adjectives.

Huh. I might have gotten that wrong too.
But how exactly did they ask that? Does it depend on context?
For example in "There are 42 beers", its obvious that its an adjective. However, in "The meaning of life is 42", not so much.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jon Boy. I'm relieved.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Huh. I might have gotten that wrong too.
But how exactly did they ask that? Does it depend on context?

It definitely depends on the function of the word in the sentence.

quote:
For example in "There are 42 beers", its obvious that its an adjective. However, in "The meaning of life is 42", not so much.
If you believe that numbers can be adjectives, then yeah, it's obviously an adjective in that sentence. [Razz]

Unfortunately, my last grammar class was a few years ago, so I can't really remember the arguments against numbers being adjectives. I'll try to look into it.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never watched this show, but I think that several things about it are problematic. First of all, questions like are numbers adjectives is a little confusing and isn't something necessarily taught in fifth grade. A smart kid could probably figure out that the number is acting like the adjective in that sentence, as could an adult, but it's not a fact that's taught so it's more of a "can you think strategically given a certain knowledge level?" question.

Secondly I think this show raises a tension between raising the awareness of ignorance in the nation and glorifying/rewarding idiocy or a lack of thought.

It sounds like much of the knowledge should be acquired outside of the classroom simply by paying attention if it was not acquired/taught in class. If people do not know which country borders America to the North, they simply are not paying attention. A fifth grader may be confused about which is the North.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Question tonight:

What is the only continent that is also a country?

The lady answered "well, all of them are".

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
>_<
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A fifth grader may be confused about which is the North.
Basic map skills are usually taught in 1st or 2nd grade, IME.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I know lots of adults who say Right sometimes when they mean Left [Razz]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Case in point: I know North, South, East and West but still get right and left mixed up sometimes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
When I play along with Jeopardy at home, I get about half the questions in the first round. When I was on the academic team in high school, I didn't get nothing right. You can't underestimate the stress of competing and knowing you'll look like a compete idiot on national television if you screw up. Even otherwise smart people might be freaked out by the cameras and audience.

Sure the Jeopardy guys manage, but they don't have a little kid on hand waiting to roll his eyes and correct them if they screw up.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Have you seen any of the show, Avid?

I've only seen two people on the show, and they both answered two questions each, but you can tell that the stupidity has nothing to do with being on TV. The comments they make before answering really do show that the people don't even have a basic grasp on common knowledge.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last night. I feel sad for Jeff Foxworthy, having to pretend that he doesn't know any of the answers to make the contestants feel better. (Of course, this is assuming Jeff is a pretty intelligent guy, which I think he is...could be wrong.)

The only question I got wrong was "Density is mass divided by what?". And I really don't feel too bad about that one.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually enjoy this show (although didn't watch it last night because BASKETBALL was on, duh!). Although I get very aggravated with the people second-guessing their gut instinct, or just being dumb.

And sometimes it all has to do with what you have been exposed to and are familiar with. Like the question stihl referred to above dealing with teaspoons and tablespoons -- I got that right easily, while my brainiac son, who never cooks, didn't have a clue.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are we confusing intelligence with knowledge? I'm sure there are a bunch of 5th graders who are genuinely smarter than me and a bunch of 5th graders who are dumber n' a box of rocks. The only difference between me and the average 5th grader is an extra 16 years of education and experience.

Knowing whether or not the US is in the Eastern hemisphere is less an indication of your intelligence than an indication of whether or not you can call up that kind of information while in an extremely stressful situation. People get really stupid on tests. Can you imagine how stupid people get when money is on the line? Can you imagine how much worse it gets when they realize that if the get it wrong they'll look really, really stupid?

Generally speaking, I'm a good tester, and I'd probably do alright on this show. But I've known some people who are really bright and really knowledgable that would look like a bunch of dumb hicks if they ever got near a game show, just because they freeze up on tests.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
Case in point: I know North, South, East and West but still get right and left mixed up sometimes.

Yeah, I still sometimes have to do the left hand to remember which is left. As in your left hand, if you spread out your thumb, you see the shape of an L.

If only I knew a similar memory aid in Chinese.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Boon:

Yeah, I still sometimes have to do the left hand to remember which is left. As in your left hand, if you spread out your thumb, you see the shape of an L.

If only I knew a similar memory aid in Chinese.

If you give somebody a high five or one of those complicated hand shakes to somebody do you use your left or right hand? if its your right try thinking "yo yo! whats up!"

you= right
zuo= left

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
Question tonight:

What is the only continent that is also a country?

The lady answered "well, all of them are".

I couldn't believe she said that. I mean, come on. Come on!
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basic map skills are usually taught in 1st or 2nd grade, IME.
What I mean is, sure pretty much everyone knows how to follow a map and such but applying that to the globe may be more difficult. You have to know that the globe is in fact usually oriented "like a map" and that North is up above the US.

Which begs the question, would people be more able to answer the question "Which country is above the US on the map?"

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are a lot of hard questions on there. One of the high-level ones was "What geologic era are we currently in?" and I'd never even heard of the correct answer (Cenozoic). Another one was, essentially, "How many cups are in a gallon?", and while I got it right I had to guess on one of the necessary conversions.

It's a neat concept for a show, but it moves way too slowly.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think a lot of recent game shows (like, everything since Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?) have been working from the mistaken assumption that long pauses always increase the dramatic tension. Compare that approach to Jeopardy's, where it's one question after another all the way until the Final Jeopardy round.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
The English taught in fifth grade is somewhat outdated, though.

Yeah, in first grade, we were doing "See Beowulf Run."

By fifth grade, we had progressed to Chaucer.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Eastern Hemisphere question? It's very Eurocentric. I had to think about it for a second because you almost never read the phrase "Eastern hemisphere" in adult non fiction and because I LIVE in the U.S. - West of me is Asia. Why isn't Asia in the Western Hemisphere?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that articles/determiners were just types of adjectives. They diagram the same, at least. [Big Grin]

[edit: typo]

[ March 23, 2007, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
The adjective question was something like this:

"How many adjectives are in the following sentence? 'There were two glasses on the brown table in the big kitchen' "

That wasn't the exact sentence, but when I saw it I immediately would have said "TWO! DUH!" and been wrong. Ah well....

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The Eastern Hemisphere question? It's very Eurocentric. I had to think about it for a second because you almost never read the phrase "Eastern hemisphere" in adult non fiction and because I LIVE in the U.S. - West of me is Asia. Why isn't Asia in the Western Hemisphere?

Think of your standard map of the world. North America and South America are on the left (west) and Europe, Asia, Austraila, and Africa are on the right (east). I suppose map makers had to ultimately decide which continents were going to be represented on which side of the map so that things wouldn't become confusing.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are plenty of maps available with other lines chosen as "center" -- there is no consensus. Certainly not worldwide, as you imply.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

BlackBlade: Hey, thats good! I'll try to remember that one.
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Actually, there are plenty of maps available with other lines chosen as "center" -- there is no consensus. Certainly not worldwide, as you imply.

That's what the prime meridian is for. And the equator.

I bit on that question and would have gotten it wrong. For the most part, because I think of asia being to the west of the US and the US being to the east of asia. I'm not sure why that affects anything.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

quote:

Hmm, yes. I'm sure there are different kinds of maps, but my point was that there must have been a certain distinction to which side of the world would be labeled "west" and which would be "east", at least in the U.S.

I was just supposing that that's why *most* maps you see (or, at least, most maps I see) have, for example, the U.S. on the left and Asia on the right.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
quote:

That's what the prime meridian is for. And the equator.

Those two are very different.

The prime meridian is an arbitrary line/circle, chosen centuries ago, which passes through the north and south poles. There are an infinite number of lines/circles which could serve equally well as a prime meridian. It only exists where it does because of consensus.

The equator comes from the geometry and motion of the earth -- it's formed from the intersection of the surface with a bisecting plane which is perpendicular to the axis of revolution. There is one and only one possible equator for the earth.

[ March 24, 2007, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's not so helpful for someone who is even slightly dyslexic.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Think of your standard map of the world. North America and South America are on the left (west) and Europe, Asia, Austraila, and Africa are on the right (east). I suppose map makers had to ultimately decide which continents were going to be represented on which side of the map so that things wouldn't become confusing."

There is a "north-south" map which is often used in schools. Or at least in schools I have worked in. It is odd, because the continents appear longer and thinner. (actually, I think continents "appear" fatter and shorter on the "regular" maps."

I will see if I can find a link.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I cannot find a link.
It was pretty, I remember that. Pastels.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The prime meridian is an arbitrary line/circle, chosen centuries ago, which passes through the north and south poles. There are an infinite number of lines/circles which could serve equally well as a prime meridian. It only exists where it does because of consensus.

The equator comes from the geometry and motion of the earth -- it's formed from the intersection of the surface with a bisecting plane which is perpendicular to the axis of revolution. There is one and only one possible equator for the earth.

I think that the point was that arbitrary or not, the concept of eastern and western hemispheres is fairly well established (at least in the American educational system, which is what's being tested in that show).
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do world maps in Asia have Asia as the center?
Do world maps in the Middle East have the Middle East as the center?
Anyone?

The thing about the north-south map I cannot find a link to is that it shows the true dimensions of the continents as they would appear on a flat surface. To me, they seem way off. It made me feel sort of duped by my education when I saw it for the first time.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here it is.

http://www.petersmap.com/

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a map with the US in the center, and it showed more than 360 degrees around, so parts of the world actually appeared on both the left and right edges. (Hmm. We had a lot of maps growing up, now that I think about it. We even had a world map shower curtain. It still had the USSR on it.)

IIRC, the best one for preserving shapes and sizes is Goode's split projection.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
On Hemispheres - East and West.

The Prime Meridian passes through Greenwich England which is the site of the Royal Observatory, and you are right, they arbitrarily chose that place as the ZERO meridian (longitude). They said, 'we get to set the standard, and we set it here', from then on it was accepted as the world standard. So anything west of the Zero/Prime Meridian up to the 180th Meridian (also called the International Date Line) is in the western hemisphere. Any thing east of the Zero/Prime Meridian and up to the 180th Meridian is in the eastern hemisphere.

So, because the observatory in London discovered this method of marking and navigating the globe, it also set the standard, and was then accepted as the world standard. From that point on East and West were set.

Also, note that 'time' begins at the Zero Meridian. All time is measure plus or minus from this point. USA Central Standard Time is Greenwich Mean Time minus Six Hours (GMT-6:00).

For the record, I get about +80% of the question, and note that the question are in catagories of 1st grade subjects through 5th grade subjects. Fifth grade are the hard questions.

"What is the radius of a circle with a diameter of 4 inches?"

That was one of the questions. She didn't know; I almost cried.

Each contestant gets 3 'cheats' that they can use.

Also, note that most contestants are college graduates.

I also agree that the 'dramatic pauses' go on a little too long on nearly all the current 'quiz' shows. They think they are being dramatic and suspensefull, but really it's just annoying. I could see it later in the game when there was a lot at stake, but they drag it out for everything.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also agree that the 'dramatic pauses' go on a little too long on nearly all the current 'quiz' shows. They think they are being dramatic and suspensefull, but really it's just annoying. I could see it later in the game when there was a lot at stake, but they drag it out for everything.
Well, they do have to make the show last 30-60 minutes. Also, it gives people at home time to discuss what to do amongst themselves.

I die a little inside every time I see a category like "Mathematics" on Jeopardy. Sure, the contestants might know every historical figure that has ever existed, or every book ever written and by who, but they can't do fractions if their life depended on it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.