FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Would you read a "Harry Potter" graphic novel series?

Author Topic: Would you read a "Harry Potter" graphic novel series?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Newsarama.com recently posted an op/ed piece about the final Harry Potter novel. The article speculated about Marvel, DC, or the Graphix line getting the rights to create a manga-digest-format-style Harry Potter comic book.

The recent success of Stephen King's Dark Tower prequel comic makes the idea a natural.

If something like this ever happens (though I doubt it will), I'll admit I've long wanted to see fuller stories on the background of the Potterverse.

A series about the founders of Hogwarts, the young Maruaders, the career of Dumbledore, etc all might be fun.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be fun, and it could be extremely lame.

I wouldn't pay money for it unless it had already been recommended to me as excellent.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be the best thing to happen to comics in a long time if approached right.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There'd certainly be a huge crossover audience.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if it had hot Dumbledore/McGonnagal scenes!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably wouldn't be interested, and I'm a pretty big Harry Potter fan.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
it could be entertaining, though i wouldn't want any of the main characters from the books, apart from the teachers, involved.

millions of possibilities for cool stories...and huge mistakes.

what if it was done by someone like tokyopop?

what if you wrote some of the stories, puffy? [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy:

I am relieved that the "Harry Potter" graphic novel series is a comic book and not Harry running around naked with his horse a la Equus.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

*rubs knuckles*

Harry Potter versus THE PUNISHER...coming soon to a comic shop near you! [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Which would win in a fight -- a 20th level wizard or a 100-ton mecha?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends, are you talking about a Timberwolf class decked out with 20x IR rockets, a gauss cannon and multiple machine guns?

If so, mech wins. otherwise... wizard, totally.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read it! I've read some fan-created works and something about it really worked for me.

In a boarding school setting, there's ton of room for more humourous side adventures or maybe a concentration on minor characters. And of course the history of Hogwarts and that universe is just ripe for storytelling.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Read, quite possibly. Buy, probably not, unless it was good.

Graphic novels are kind of expensive, but I do sometimes check them out of the library.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

How would the wizard not win?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
If JK Rowling writes it and Mary GrandPré illustrates it, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Rowling's style and humor and characterization are what make the books for me. I wouldn't enjoy anyone else writing the characters. For me it'd be like trying to read Ender fanfic -- if OSC doesn't write it there's no point.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Emphatically NOT.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

How would the wizard not win?

I second that... specially if we're talking a D&D level 20 wizard. I mean, here's the spell order:

Time Stop
Meteor Swarm

Time Stop
Imprisonment

Just two off the top of my head that would utterly destroy or render useless the mech.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda tired of Harry Potter stuff. I probably wouldn't pay any attention to it.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even a little bit tired of Harry Potter, but ... I don't think I'd read it, unless it was the only book in the bathroom. Definitely wouldn't buy it.

I just don't do well with graphic novels.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.