FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vertigo/Dizzieness

Author Topic: Vertigo/Dizzieness
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So for the past few days, I've been feeling very ... dizzy. I guess that's the best way to describe it. I've only had motion sickness once, quite a while ago, but it sort of feels like that. It's like, when I look at something, it shakes. And it makes my tummy go all jiggly. Its hard to describe, but it's very annoying. I was talking to someone about it today, and they mentioned vertigo. As I don't think I've ever had vertigo before, I don't know what to compare it to. I tried reading up on it but I can't understand all that medical mumbo jumbo. I was wondering if anyone on the indefatigable Hatrack can enlighten me on vertigo, or maybe tell me what the dealio is.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Vertigo is when you are standing still but feels like your enviorment is moving. For instance, you are standing in the kitchen, but if feels like your sink, dishwasher and stove are all waving from side-to-side, the floor is moving, the walls are circling. It's something along those lines.

Dizzyness could have a lot of causes. Evaluation by a doctor is a must if it persists.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is vertigo a constant thing or is it just kinda ... sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Something I know about first hand!

There are two reasons for dizzyness:

- Problems with the inner ear. These could be legacy issues (such as my case: a recurring problem since childhood), fluid or other material build-up, or an ear infection (such as Otitis Media)

- Vision. This usually causes dizzyness and headaches, but seldom vertigo unless your vision is really bad. This is also more prevalent with people who already have corrective lenses/glasses, but their vision might have improved over time (as is my case as well), and the dizzyness is caused by the glasses making things worse in the opposite direction.

For example, if you're nearsighted, get glasses, and your vision improves, your now the opposite (effectively, farsighted), and the brain has difficulty dealing with that change. It's like having perfect vision and putting on someone's glasses; it's more disorienting than just having bad vision to begin with.

I had a major ear infection when I was an infant, and that has affected me throughout my entire life. Every now and then I lose all sense of equilibrium and fall over; I'm otherwise conscious and fully aware, but I'll be unable to lift my head from a prone position. Something as simple as a fever, allergies or other factors could trigger it.

And since it's in my deep inner ear, there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- Problems with the inner ear. These could be legacy issues (such as my case: a recurring problem since childhood), fluid or other material build-up, or an ear infection (such as Otitis Media)

- Vision. This usually causes dizzyness and headaches, but seldom vertigo unless your vision is really bad. This is also more prevalent with people who already have corrective lenses/glasses, but their vision might have improved over time (as is my case as well), and the dizzyness is caused by the glasses making things worse in the opposite direction.

Also,
quote:
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart

--j_k
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
There are many other possible reasons for a feeling of dizziness, most particularly being dehydrated.

If you are worried about this, you should be examined by a medical professional.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Low blood pressure can cause it too. If the dizziness often gets worse when you stand up from a seated position, for instance, it could be low blood pressure.

Allergies irritating the inner ear seem to cause a lot of my dizziness. I take mucinex and it makes it much better. Also I take Meclizine which is over the counter now. But do what CT said and go see a doctor about it. There are a whole lot of different things that dizziness could be, and what works for me probably won't for you.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling incredibly light-headed lately, and I'm pretty sure it's because of all the pollen in the air (my black car is right now a bright yellow-green). Take Benadryl/Mucinex/Zyrtec or something and see if it helps.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
This can also be Heart or neurological problems. If you can't find any other obvious explanation, you should definitely go to your doctor.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.