FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Vacation Wars, or The Relative Value of a Destination

Author Topic: The Vacation Wars, or The Relative Value of a Destination
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad and I are tentatively planning a trip to Disneyland this May, once i'm done working at Disney World. However, my sister wants the three of us to go to Europe, somewhere...England, Italy, etc.

So a battle has ensued, arguing the relative merits of one vs. the other...then my mother got in the mix, and i actually had a pretty heated discussion with her about, basically, how stupid I was to want to go to a Disney park over Europe.

But my argument is that it's a different type of vacation, with a different vacation goal in mind, and I'm all excited for THIS sort of a vacation, not a European one. (all Chevy Chase jokes aside)

But it got me thinking, can one vacation destination really have a higher value over another? I've always wanted to visit the British Isles, and France, and all those places. For the history, the culture, and just the general experience. Is it "stupid" of me to not be in the mood for that kind of an experience this coming summer?

I think there are a lot of people, myself included, if i was in a certain mood, who would say "Are you crazy?? GO TO EUROPE!" and i'm sure i will sometime relatively soon. Once i graduate from college, i have plans, or it might be as soon as next summer if my dad offers to take us. But i'm excited about the fantasy and magic of a Disneyland stay, even while i acknowledge that Europe is a far more educational and potentially more rewarding experience, in the long run.

So, what do you think? Is there a vacation destination hierarchy? Am i settling for Space Mountain when I could have the Alps? For Sleeping Beauty's castle when i could have Neuschwanstein? for it's a small world when i could have the real world?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If thats what you want, then thats what you want, and nobody should knock you for it. Some mindless Disney fun definitely has its appeal to me, and I am not big on theme parks.

My recommendation is Europe only becuase you are close to college graduation. You might not get that chance you think you will to get there. But if Disney holds more appeal to you right now, don't let anyone call you stupid. Millions of people choose Disney over Europe every year.

Then there is compromise, a stop in Euro Disney for a day.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The situation is clearer once you strip it of its vacation context and apply it to food. Is a McDonald's cheeseburger a better foodstuff than, say, lobster bisque? Are there situations in which you would prefer each to the other, or is one universally better? (Hint: Disneyland is the cheeseburger.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My dad and I are tentatively planning a trip to Disneyland this May, once i'm done working at Disney World.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Did I read this correctly? You work at Disney World and are planning a trip to Disneyland?

Maybe it's just me, but THAT has to be the weirdest part of your problem.

(I worked for several summers at an amusement park. And I would freak out at anyone who, during that time, suggested I take a vacation and go to an amusement park. This is just me, of course.)

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

*shrug*

I really like working here, the interactions with the guests and my co-workers. I know for a fact, though, that if i had pretty much any other job, i would be miserable.

But aside from that, i'm a huge disney fan. And i especially love the history, how different rides and attractions evolved, little secret trivia about everything. I've made a good friend here who knows more about the individual Disney parks around the world than anyone i've ever met, and just hearing him talk about Disneyland makes me itch to re-experience it (i went when i was around 11 or 12, during an off-season, a lot of attractions were closed for refurbishment)

Plus, i don't have a lot of time this summer, since starting on May 30th i'll be taking summer courses to make up for lost time. So a short California trip is much more feasible than trying to cram even just one country into that time. If i was to go to Europe, i'd want at least seven days, hopefully two to three weeks. Then there's the added difficulty of obtaining a passport these days, i don't even know that i would be able to get one in time for the end of may.

Tom: i think i'd call Disneyland a home-cooked meal, and Europe a fine dining experience. And yes, there are certainly times where I'd prefer the former to the latter [Smile] There's nothing, imo, inherently "bad quality" about Disneyland, which is my immediate thought when a McDonald's cheeseburger is referenced. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, in my mind it is a choice between a plastic fake escapist world, and a real world with 1500 years of very real history.

Still, it sound like a group vacation; that is you and a group of other people are collectively choosing to find a mutual vacation destination. In that case you certainly have a right to vote for Disneyland and no one should call you stupid for it. But others have a EQUAL right to argue for and vote for some other place, and equally have a right to be respected for their opinion.

Also, note it is a lot easier to go to Disneyland than it is to go to Europe. My point being that you can go to Disneyland anytime. Even if you get a job right out of college, you can still squeeze in a Disneyland vacation. But, a vacation to Europe is far more difficult, and you should grab the opportunity while you can.

In the end, after each side has made their case, it will and should be 'majority rules', and just as you would expect other to graciously accept the outcome if you win, you should also graciously and kindly accept the result if you lose.

It would be unfair for either losing group to be determined to make the other group miserable for winning.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't dis Disney. [No No]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
be carefuly if you go to Brisbey <cough> I mean Disneyland, you may be a prime target for the Orange County Liberation Front.

You're right that one vacation destination is generally not categorically better than another (depending on motives behind it all). I mean a well-insulated/stocked shack in Siberia could be a decent vacation spot if you just want time away to yourself. I can see people thinking you're crazy though if you just have a straight up choice between disney and europe. Europe requires more time to do even remotely right and costs tons more (and is just generally more difficult/time-consuming to arrange) while Disney is maybe a few hundred bucks and a long weekend if you want.

I definately agree that there are very different things you can look for and enjoy in a vacation. I've had a blast in Branson on a family vacation despite the fact that there was nothing there of interest to me. I've also had a blast in LA, Glacier Natl park, England, Europe etc... each for different reasons, and each would have been a different experience with different sets of people and at different times in my life.

Also, despite the fact that I got to see at least portions of europe while in highschool with my parents and a sister, it doesn't mean that I couldn't go back to the exact same places with a girlfriend and have a completely different and as-good/better experience, or with my best friend or whatnot...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's nothing, imo, inherently "bad quality" about Disneyland, which is my immediate thought when a McDonald's cheeseburger is referenced.
As someone who actually likes McDonald's cheeseburgers, I should mention that my metaphor hinged not on any absolute measure of quality, but on the relative commonality, convenience, and prefab nature of the experience. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I want to go to Europe very much -- i just want to go when i have some actual time to enjoy the experience...three full days is not nearly enough, even if we only stick to one country. Three full days is, however, perfect for Disneyland [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did I read that as Vatican wars? [Confused]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide: I agree with you that 3 days is just not long enough for Europe. You will spend all 3 days jetlagged and loopy, and if you are LUCKY you will be fine by the third day, just in time to fly back home and do the jetlag jig all over again.

I think Europe is so full of amazing things that you would benefit from going there more so then another excursion into Disneyland, but hey YMDOESV.

Places like England, Italy, etc DESERVE a week. Disneyland is designed to have enough substance for 1-3 days give or take. I agree with you that since its a 3 day vacation, opt for Disneyland until you can plan a week around a place in Europe.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you only have three days, go to Disneyland. A good vacation of one place is better than a rushed vacation of another, especially since you'll have jet lag the entire time. You don't have any time to acclimate, and that's not enough time to see much of anything.

Save your money, and go to Europe when you can spend a minimum of a week there.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Why did I read that as Vatican wars? [Confused]

I did too. I had a vision of warring popes and cardinals. Weird.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I think that's what my dad and i have finally decided on, and we both agree that when we *do* go, we want to stay two weeks. unfortunately choosing Disney means my sister doesn't want to go now [Frown] so it'll just be a short and sweet vacation in Cali w/ my dad and i.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
I want to go to Europe very much -- i just want to go when i have some actual time to enjoy the experience...three full days is not nearly enough, even if we only stick to one country. Three full days is, however, perfect for Disneyland [Smile]

THAT makes perfect sense to me. If-it's-Tuesday-it-must-be-Belgium tours of Europe are awful.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a 3 day trip to Belgium and actually enjoyed it a great deal. But I was younger then. [Smile] I recently turned down a full paid vacation to China (staying with relatives) because I have been there before, the idea of an 15 hour plane flight with a 6 month old terrifies me and I only get so much vacation time I would rather spend the time vegging on my couch then running around a foreign country.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I glance at this thread, I read it as "The Vatican Wars". I don't know why.

Leonide, just make the decision that makes the most sense to you. Sorry your sister doesn't want to go [Frown] but try not to let that ruin your trip.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much hate Disney and I would still choose a 3-day Disney vacation over a 3-day European one. (Which means, if I were your sister I would go with you, then go read a book by the pool while you were tromping around the Magic Kingdom.)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.