FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » World's First Building-Integrated Wind Turbines

Author Topic: World's First Building-Integrated Wind Turbines
Ken
Member # 10082

- posted      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
Three wind turbine blades have been successfully installed on the Bahrain World Trade Center, a twin skyscraper complex. This is the first time that a commercial development has integrated large-scale wind turbines within its design to harness the power of the wind. The three massive turbines, measuring 29 meters in diameter

http://bahrainwtc.com/

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an amazing building. And, as far as the wind power goes, it's commendable that they're there.

However, with only three on a building that size, they're not supplying much energy I don't think.

Especially given that they can't rotate to track the wind patterns (probably not as big an issue here, since it's a coastal bldg and therefore most of the wind is coming in one direction).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
it certainly is a neat idea. i would assume that they already planned out how much wind they get there and that the cost of building/upkeeping the blades is less than the price for the amount of energy they will receive.

anyway, cool looking building.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
GE makes a 3.6MW turbine, if all three of those are that good, it's a 10.8MW power plant. I imagine that has to at least be good enough to take care of their electric bill.

Edit to add: okay I was a little off.

quote:
The three massive wind turbines, measuring 29 meter in diameter, are supported by bridges spanning between the BWTC's two 240-meter high towers. Through its positioning and the unique aerodynamic design of the towers, the prevailing on-shore Gulf breeze is funnelled into the path of the turbines, helping to create even greater power generation efficiency.

Once operational, the wind turbines will deliver approximately 11-15% of the BWTC tower's energy needs, eliminating around 55,000 cubic kgC of carbon emissions into the environment every year. Incorporating the wind turbines as an alternative source of energy for the buildings will generate 1100 to 1300 MWh per year, which is equivalent to lighting 300 homes for more than a year and will create substantial annual savings.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.