FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Possible drug treatment...but questionable claims.....

Author Topic: Possible drug treatment...but questionable claims.....
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite an interesting story on many levels....

Just thought I would post it here and see what sprung up.

I know, from my medical training at USAMRIID, that this is dangerous, but if effective could change how this country treats substance abuse.

But that is a HUGE if....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I will reserve judgement until double-blind studies are completed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is crazy that drugs can be marketed with specific claims about their efficacy without first having been tested fully.

Where an “off label” use is completely different to that registered I think trials should have to be submitted and evaluated before it can be marketed. This is a clear case where regulation should be used instead of market forces.

If this treatment works, then it is a great step forward. However, I don’t think government and insurance companies should pay for this until the trials are completed. The only way to force companies to complete the necessary testing in the absence of strong regulation is if they have no market without the proper studies.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of you right away, CT....among others, of course.

I have some specific knowledge about the drug testing process that very few people have due to my experiences at USAMRIID.....I drafted specific changes into their drug testing protocols regarding informed consent and compensation. Those protocols are considered worldwide to be the highest standard
if informed consent, and are used as a model for other countries programs.

Most of the informed consent stuff wasn't mine, it had been in place for years and included direct Congressional oversight among other things.

I will chime in more later, but I wanted to give myself more time to think about this.

Also, I am heading to work right now and don't have the time to type it all out. [Smile]

[ August 11, 2007, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.