FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deathly Hallows Cover Art released!!!

Author Topic: Deathly Hallows Cover Art released!!!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not responsible for spoilage:

And Arthur Levine said he 'sobbed and sobbed' when he was reading it

This is so very, very cool. I love how it seems a little more realistic compared to the rest of the book covers, which had more of a single color motif. And Voldemort looks so very, very creepy.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!
*Spoilers!

It does not look like Harry is fighting Voldemort?! Or at least it does not look like they are attacking each other. But either they are fighting something together, or else competing in some manner. Who knows?!

/Spoilers.

This stupid book better be VERY thick.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade: FYI the official page count for the British edition is 608 pages.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Harry playing Quidditch with a Dementor??

[Big Grin]

Very cool. Thanks for the link.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats shorter then Half Blood Prince!
[Cry]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The official page amount for the US version is something like 784 pages. That makes it a 150 pages longer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The official page amount for the US version is something like 784 pages. That makes it a 150 pages longer.

I totally spaced on the different page formats. Thanks for the welcome correction.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How rare is it that the US cover is better than the UK cover?

"Adult Edition?"

:shudders:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the discrepancy in page numbers is caused by the font they're using?
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
How rare is it that the US cover is better than the UK cover?

"Adult Edition?"

:shudders:

*bow chikka wow wowwwwwwww*
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda disappointed. I don't much care for any of the covers. They feel a little anticlimactic to me. *shrug*
But I am no less excited for the book.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness, the Brits got the short end of the stick for covers. The "Adult" version at least has minimalist class to it, the regular UK edition is just... no thank you.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I always buy the British edition of the book with the grown-up cover. Some of those covers are really dark and pretty, especially the covers for 'Prisoner of Azkaban' and 'Goblet of Fire'.

Have to say, I hate the British children's cover to this one. All the characters look sort of red and sweaty. Not sure what they were going for there.

The US children's cover looks very scary and epic, with him reaching out for... what? Adulthood or death? (Now I'm flashing back to Eddie Izzard's 'cake or death?' sketch)

EDIT - Hey, has anyone else noticed that someone little with pointed ears is hiding behind Harry on the British kid's cover, with his hand on HP's shoulder and holding a sword? There seemed to be too many hands there for a moment.

[ March 28, 2007, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

The linked article said that's Voldemort. And while that does look like an arena, I see no brooms. So not Quidditch.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*was being funny*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are all those people watching?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Can I just say on the UK children's cover, Harry Hermione and Ron do not have the same reaction to being a room full of treasure as I would.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
I wonder if the discrepancy in page numbers is caused by the font they're using?

One would think the British version would be longer, what with all those extra u's they add to all their words.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Can I just say on the UK children's cover, Harry Hermione and Ron do not have the same reaction to being a room full of treasure as I would.

I dunno, gold would hurt if it was being hurled at you at 40 mph. Think Darth Vader Force-throwing all kindsa junk at Luke in Cloud City...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Hey, has anyone else noticed that someone little with pointed ears is hiding behind Harry on the British kid's cover, with his hand on HP's shoulder and holding a sword? There seemed to be too many hands there for a moment.

That was actually the first thing I noticed on that cover. Looks like a house elf. Dobby or Kreacher? Probably Dobby. That makes one wonder, what tricks does the house elf have up his sleeves?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

The linked article said that's Voldemort. And while that does look like an arena, I see no brooms. So not Quidditch.
Y'know, I've been wondering if one of the Horcuxes will turn out to be a golden snitch... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That would be interesting.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
So, in the US cover, Harry has something around his neck. The adult Brit cover has an amulet with an S on it. Could this thing around his neck be 1) that amulet and 2) a horcrux?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good catch. I was assuming that was why there was an amulet on the Brit cover. Notice the serpent -- that's a Slytherin artifact, neh?
plaid
Member # 2393

Maybe they're both summoning brooms for a Quiddich match-to-the-death.

Can't tell exactly because of Harry's hair, but is his scar still on his forehead?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be getting the adult edition as I have for all the rest.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Dobby in the UK version. Didn't Lupin (or someone, I forget who) once say that house elves have a very ancient kind of magic, and very powerful, but they can only be used in certain ways. I definitely think that's a hint to something. And I can deal with 784 pages. That sounds good for me. I can't wait for this. Unfortunately, I'll be in Australia at the time, so I'll miss it because there, the book comes out on September 6th. I think I'll just have my mom ship me one, because I really don't think I can wait that long. EEEEEEEEEE! I'm so excited! I just can't hide it! *singing ensues*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Will it come out in Mexico the same time it comes out here, still being North America and all?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be the love room? The golden light...
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am having trouble finding anything but the US coverart. Can anyone give me a direct link to the two British versions everyone is discussing?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2007, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
784 pages? = 5-6 hours of engrossed reading. Yay!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Yeah! Assuming the font size/page format's the same, that's longer than the 4th one, woo! [Smile]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the cover is vague and could have belonged to any of the books just about, but I do think it's the prettiest yet. But then again, I have a thing for simplicity, and the color orange.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's orange...

Orange is kind of hopeful.
The last couple of covers have been so dark.
Not a big orange fan, I like dark blue better.. but maybe...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.