FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm tired of it. Just give me the best registry cleaner there is.

Author Topic: I'm tired of it. Just give me the best registry cleaner there is.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've been having some computer problems. It may or may not be the registry that is wrong, but here's the story.

Computer specs:
2 gigs ram
2.0 dual core Turion 64x2 Processor
NVidia GEForce 7300 Video Card with 250 megs of memory
Windows XP Professional
and an extra chill matt to boost.

So, the problem is that recently it's been freezing up and acting slowly on me. Sometimes, when it's feeling good, I get no problems. But other times, lots of other times, crap happens. Windows Media freezes up all the time while the music still plays and I can't do a thing to stop it. Winamp does the same. Pretty much the only programs that don't give me lip are my browsers and 3D Max, which consumes far more PC power than Windows Media, Photoshop CS2 and my browser, COMBINED. Heck, even After Effects is cool with me.

With a computer like mine, this is bull and shouldn't be happening.

I was thinking of doing a full system restore, after backing up my licenses, but I haven't done it because there is one program that my brother installed that we don't know how to back that license for. I'm just waiting for tech support to get me back on that one, but in the mean time I'd like to find something other than Norton, to optimize my system. At least until I can get rid of whatever is doing this to it.

EDIT: Even Windows Explorer and my Start Menu are acting up. When I press the Start button, it doesn't do a thing, until maybe 10 seconds later. But for the most part, my Start Menu stops working. It just stays there static regardless of how many times I press it.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I saw this problem. Try creating a new user profile and see if that clears up some of the problem (The person who had this problem had a bunch of corrupted files controlling their profile, so it screwed a lot of stuff up.) You'll probably need to copy your documents and stuff over if this is the problem, but hopefully you didn't enable that stupid "Keep my files private" option that annoyed the heck out of me today.

Alternately, RegCleaner is a pretty handy utility for digging through the registry and pulling out stuff you don't use/need anymore. In addition, do the typical anti-virus/anti-spyware scans and make sure your hard drive isn't heavily fragmented.

If you're using Norton/McAfee, ditch them and use AVG instead.

PS...Right-click C:->Properties->Tools->Check Now (under error checking)

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
ccCleaner is a great tool... it does alot of the same as RegCleaner (haven't used that in a while)... It also shows you what is set to autostart when you boot your computer... you can kill a lot of crap there (quicktime anyone?)... other than that i'd go see if you have all the MS updates for wmp just to be safe... what you describe sounds very much like a virus to me... you might also pull up task manager and go to the processes tab... you can recognize alot of stuff there, and for the others you can do a google search and find if they are good to have or not... i've found viruses that way before.... good luck
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just stop by www.majorgeeks.com they've had terrific stuff/advice for registry cleaners and whatnot for me before
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
You want the best registry cleaner there is? [Smile]

::mails sledge hammer::

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just clearing stuff in the startup section when running msconfig speeds up my system.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always try the NES method of taking a piece out, blowing in it, and then turn it back on, maybe gently hit the computer on the side as it is starting. You might even need to blow into the computer itself.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the new profile idea. I would also try using CCLeaner to clean out all the crap in temp folders. It also has a mild registry cleaner. Do the msconfig thing, an antivirus check that is not Norton or McAfeee, and a defrag.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xaposert:
You want the best registry cleaner there is? [Smile]

::mails sledge hammer::

Really? Because I've always wanted one of those. [Big Grin]

I think I'd use it for something other than hardware and software computer uses though.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The best registry cleaner I've found so far is, sadly, a Linux distribution.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
<obligatory>

Just buy a Mac

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I would also recommend using a hard drive utility of some kind (most are available for free from the drive manufacturer's webpage) to do a complete surface scan to determine if your drive is developing bad sectors. Sometimes crucial files are written on parts of the hard drive that end up going bad, making them inaccessible and slowing windows or other applications down. When you start developing a lot of bad sectors, it is time to buy a new drive and clone your data NOW.

Also, windows xp has a built in disk scanning utility, though it may not be as good as the drive manufacturer utility.

Whatever you do, make sure you do the FULL SCAN option, which will take about and hour per 100gb.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Jutsa Notha Name:
<obligatory>

Just buy a Mac

I disown you and you are out of my will.

Not only have I always hated Macs, it's also impossible to upgrade them, let alone build your own. To top things off, I get more bang for my buck by keeping my PC. Macs are incredibly over-priced.

Besides, have you ever tried to use 3D Max on a Mac? It's like trying to run a marathon underwater.

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
You've tried to run a marathon under water?! You are soooo cool!

[Taunt]

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.