FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » While I'm not saying I LIKE "Metallica" for a baby girl's name...

Author Topic: While I'm not saying I LIKE "Metallica" for a baby girl's name...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...I also am glad I live in a country where I can name my children what I want.

Couple fights Swedish officials to name their baby Metallica

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just laughing my posterior off about that.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. And so is my future daughter "Jelaragrin Wobbinwillow"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
We can give our kid a name that's not on the official list of allowed names (it exists!), but we have to provide documentation that it is used as a human name somewhere in the world. I don't think Metallica would fly here, either.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking, for a boy "Squirrelbat Dimpinees" Would that fly?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, the best name for a child has to be "Moxie CrimeFighter". Thank you Penn and Emily Jillette!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the law should dictate what you can name your baby, but I think there should be a process whereby a child can file for a name change paid by their parents upon turning 18.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
And there's good ol' Nymeria Daenerys Cersei Smigrodzki
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
And there's good ol' Nymeria Daenerys Cersei Smigrodzki

Dear lord, and to think I have a hard time having people spell my last name right... and it's only four letters.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the parents should be questioned for their taste in music, more than anything. Metallica hasn't produced good music in over 10 years. Sellouts.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
I think the parents should be questioned for their taste in music, more than anything. Metallica hasn't produced good music in over 10 years. Sellouts.

Sez you.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
There must not be any Swedish bands good enough to name their children after.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine gave their newborn twins interesting *middle* names - their son's middle name is Danger, and their daughter's middle name is Moxie.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Cersei?? What Ice & Fire fan could possibly want to name their daughter Cersei?

I thought we were pushing it with Lyanna ...

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
A friend of mine gave their newborn twins interesting *middle* names - their son's middle name is Danger, and their daughter's middle name is Moxie.

They did that just so the kid can say, "Danger is my middle name," didn't they?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeptical scientist
Member # 10369

- posted      Profile for skeptical scientist           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't understand how any country can choose the legal names of children. Why do the citizens put up with such a law? Hath government no bounds?
Posts: 24 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

SS: Of course the government doesn't have any bounds. Duh. The legislature has to keep passing laws to prove they're doing something so they'll get re-elected. And there's plenty of people out there doing things other people don't like. And it needs to be stopped.

What, do you think you're actually FREE or something? You're property of the state and have a serial number to prove it.

plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:

Yeah. Maybe they'll use it when they're chastising their kid. "Nymeria Daenerys CERSEI Smigrodzki! Stop hitting your brother! Come here RIGHT now!"

Bet she changes "Cersei" to "Arya" when she's older...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already thought of the names for my children. Simon Belmont for a boy, and Elissa Dido for a girl. Now I just have to find a wife who will go along with it. [Smile]

(Yes, I'm joking. Uh . . . kind of. I actually think those are both really cool names. . . .)

Maybe if I have a second boy, I can name him Verily Cooper. Then I can be clever and refer to him on Hatrack as Verily the Third. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't understand how any country can choose the legal names of children.
To be fair, I'm not aware of any government that chooses children's names ("This one will be Joe. Haven't had any of those in a while").
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the name Emerson. I thought I was being both original and erudite and I can just picture him: calm, with cute little glasses and a sardonic mouth.

Then it turns out that a million other people had the same brilliant idea in the last year. *sigh*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay Kat, the same thing is happening with Ella.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Yeah. Maybe they'll use it when they're chastising their kid. "Nymeria Daenerys CERSEI Smigrodzki! Stop hitting on your brother! Come here RIGHT now!"

Fixed that.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat me to it, boots!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
quote:

Yeah. Maybe they'll use it when they're chastising their kid. "Nymeria Daenerys CERSEI Smigrodzki! Stop hitting on your brother! Come here RIGHT now!"

Fixed that.
Nah, if her brother is Tyrion, it's still hitting.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Emerson is still 584, Ella is 22. My name is very unpopular when it hits 15 for a year.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't this same thing happen a few years ago when a couple wanted to name their son Superman?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing of a case in Finland, in the early 80's, when a couple wanted to give their boy child the first name Pasi and the second name Anssi. Now, on their own those names would be perfectly acceptable Finnish boy's names but together they become Pasianssi which means solitaire. So the name was not accepted. (I do think it would be today, though.)

I think such laws, in Scandinavia at least, are medieval relics from the time when the Church had real power and was able to control the people to do the "proper and moral" thing. As such, I think the Swedish couple here will win their case.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.