FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spock did too much LDS at Berkeley (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Spock did too much LDS at Berkeley
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw the movie, the LDS reference went right by me. Maybe it was unintentional, I don't know.

My question is: How do Mormons react to this line?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
what movie was this?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I first heard it. First, I was delighted to be name-checked. It was like a shoutout. This was before Mitt Romney, before the 60 Minutes special, and before Mormon cinema. I was just delighted to have someone outside my world aknowledge the existence of my world.

Secondly, I had to ask why it was funny, because I'd never heard of LSD.

Third, when I found out, I thought it was funny. The fish out of water element, the clueless bluffer element, mistakenly replacing the name of a drug with the name of a church known for being clean - it's a funny joke.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if the writers even realized that "LDS" was an acronym for a church. My guess is that they thought it was an amusing way to screw up the term.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That doesn't seem plausible at all.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's unlikely no one on the writing staff knew that "LDS" is an acronym for a church, but it's very possible no one on the writing staff connected that line with that acronym before the movie came out.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There must be somewhere a record of someone asking that question of someone who knows. At this point we are merely guessing, and our guesses reveal more about ourselves than about the movie or the writers.
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they? How so? What could such a guess possibly reveal about the person making it?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the writers were all drugged into a ululating, clamorous stupor when they wrote that entire script.

I mean, Star Trek has always been a haven of screaming liberal bias-- but WHALES, Jim?

For Guevara's sake, at least TRY to hide your tree-hugging, anti-family destroying agenda.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
link
I dunno, I'm not convinced.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If it was an accident, it requires the writers to be a little clueless but still stumble onto an appropriate joke. I suppose that's possible, although implausible.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the joke had anything to do with the LDS Church, though. I never connected it with the church until much later, and it was funny even absent the connection, based solely on switching the letters.

It'd be like Picard telling someone in the 80s that Worf used to play in the NLF - funny even though NLF doesn't mean anything.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it was an accident, it requires the writers to be a little clueless but still stumble onto an appropriate joke.
No, see, the core of the joke is that Kirk doesn't really know what LSD is, but he's trying to use the lingo and is getting it slightly wrong.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
If it was an accident, it requires the writers to be a little clueless but still stumble onto an appropriate joke. I suppose that's possible, although implausible.

Why? Just how mainstream is "LDS"?

Because in part of where I lived all my life, I never even heard of Mormons, Latter-Day Saints or LDS until I read OSC for the first time.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
While many people may know that Latter Day Saints refers to Mormons, I very much doubt that anyone other than Mormons would associate LDS with Mormons, and some folks after they've joined this forum.
Other than on the Web, I've never even heard a Mormon refer to Latter Day Saints as LDS.

"Imperfect memory of history" joke made obvious by the all-too-well-known LSD<->Berkeley connection. And nothing else.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's a sort of funny joke without the reference because it has two of the three elements I mentioned above. It's a funnier joke with the reference.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a teenager when it came out. The line caught me by surprise, and I thought it was funny.

Probably a lot of people not familiar with the Church just thought of it as a mildly amusing mix-up of letters ... to me it was funnier, though, just hearing our name "accidentally". As if Spock did "too much Church".

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Does anyone have a source other than their own guesses?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

All I've got is anecdotal. But bear in mind that non-Mormons who're familiar with the term "LDS" as an alternative term for "Mormon church" are few and far between; I'd imagine that more of them are familiar with the term "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints," thanks to the commercials, but wouldn't associate that name with the "LDS" acronym or the term "Mormon."
katharina
Member # 827

Bear in mind that Mormons are not as rare in California as they are in the rest of the country. There are more Mormons in California and Arizona than in Utah and Idaho combined. It is certainly possible the writers ran into it before. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

How many of those California Mormons are Hollywood Mormons? *laugh*
Scott R
Member # 567

From Mucus' link:

quote:
A novelization of "Star Trek IV" was published at the time the movie was released: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, written by Vonda N. McIntyre (New York: Pocket Books, 1986). On page 109 in this book, the scene with Latter-day Saint references is described as follows:

"There's no point in my trying to explain what I was doing. You wouldn't believe me anyway."

"I'll buy that," Gillian said. She nodded toward Spock. "And what about what he was trying to do."

"He's harmless!" Kirk said. "He had a good reason--" He cut himself off. "Look, back in the sixties he was in Berkeley. The free speech movement and all that. I think . . . well, he did too much LDS."

"LDS? Are you dyslexic, on top of everything else?" She sighed.

Note how the lines are slightly different in the novel from the way they are heard in the feature film. These lines are different because the novel was written from the shooting script, not from the release version of the film. This is standard practice. Novelizations are normally written this way so that there is time for the novelization to be written, printed and distributed to stores to coincide with the theatrical release of the film.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
For Guevara's sake, at least TRY to hide your tree-hugging, anti-family destroying agenda.

I don't know about you, but I'm all for destroying anti-families.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it the same way Tom did. I'd never heard LDS as an acronym for Latter Day Saints at the time. I believe most Americans would not immediately recognize LDS as an acronym for Latter Day Saints. (FWIW, Firefox's spellchecker has heard of LSD but not LDS.)

I am also unconvinced by Mucus's link. The author makes assertions, but provides no evidence. The assertion that something is clear is not evidence.

FWIW, Wikipedia's article on San Francisco makes no reference to its being founded by Mormons, to Elder Sam Brannan, or to the Brooklyn.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, your guesses can beat up my guesses.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

I don't know about you, but I'm all for destroying anti-families.
Not me -- you have to destroy a family too.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I can believe all of that, Icky, but none of it answered the central question of what the writers meant when they wrote it. At this point, unless someone has access to an interview or something, EVERYONE is just guessing.
Scott R
Member # 567

Yeah, kat, but I think Mucus' link would tend to influence us in the direction of 'Not referring to the religion.'
katharina
Member # 827

I don't really like the page or the source so I don't find it convincing either way.

That's a thought, though - what it if was dyslexic joke to start with, but someone in the editing room recognized the acronym and cut it so it would look like a church reference? That brings it back to the collaborative nature of filmmaking.

Scott R
Member # 567

I think sometimes Mormons are desperate to see Mormonism in every shadow.

There's no harm in making it an LDS referring joke; there's not much of a point in it either, IMO.

katharina
Member # 827

*ouch* Good grief.

I think that's a rude thing to say in this instance, and I disagree with your assessment of both me and the joke.

Go back to apathy.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, you seem to be taking this really personally. Why?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I think your side is arguable, but I have to say that the other arguments are more convincing to me. I think it's more of a stretch for you to be right, than for there to be a happy coincidence.

I also think you're being overly defensive, and have so since the first opinion contrary of yours in this thread.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If I'm wrong, then it doesn't matter. [Smile]

This is not a thread about me. It's a thread about Star Trek and, possibly, film-making.

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
It was definitely not intentional, everyone knows Spock is Jewish.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
*ouch* Good grief.

I think that's a rude thing to say in this instance, and I disagree with your assessment of both me and the joke.

You're right, it was rude in this instance.

I think you're injecting Mormonism into the text of the film without it needing to be there, and against some evidence that implies other meanings.

I don't care if you do, in this instance; like I said, it doesn't hurt anything, and if makes you smile, go for it.

But don't imply other people are missing something just because we disagree with you.

(as in this line: "our guesses reveal more about ourselves than about the movie or the writers."

quote:

Go back to apathy.

Pssh. You're not the boss of me, now.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
our guesses reveal more about ourselves than about the movie or the writers."
I still think this true. It also cuts both ways...I mean, that I instantly thought at eight-years-old that it was referring to the church certainly tells you something, doesn't it?

I know we disagree as to the text. I think everyone in here is guessing as to what it means.

Scott R
Member # 567

And I think that's perfectly fine.
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
If LDS means Latter-Day Saints, the joke is no longer funny but confusing. I think Paramount's writers were trying to be funny.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It's actually funnier if the writers intended it to refer to Mormonism; funnier to me, anyway.

I'd explain why, but explanation takes the delight out of humor.

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's actually funnier if the writers intended it to refer to Mormonism; funnier to me, anyway.

I'd explain why, but explanation takes the delight out of humor.

Are you Mormon? Because then it would make sense. It seems to hold the same amount of funny to me either way, but I am ambivalent regarding Mormonism.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It might be interesting to consider it this way, if it was a dyslexic joke, then we have 6 combinations for the letters, LSD, LDS, DLS, DSL, SDL, and SLD

However, we can also notice that LSD permutes to LDS by only switching two consecutive letters. The only other combination with this property is SLD.

The other thing is that all five combinations match acronyms for various companies, institutes, and technologies.

It just doesn't seem very compelling that it is a Mormon reference.

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
That's a thought, though - what it if was dyslexic joke to start with, but someone in the editing room recognized the acronym and cut it so it would look like a church reference?

I doubt it, I do not think it cuts away from her after she responds "LDS?"

[ April 04, 2007, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I am quite Mormon.

Not to be confused with a quiet Mormon.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Whether intentional or not, the LDS/LSD joke has become a fairly pervasive part of California youth culture (or at least it has in the Bay Area) -- I've seen it crop in writing in addition to experiencing it so I don't think it can just be chalked up to it seeming to be everywhere because I'm LDS.

For awhile there active members of the LDS Church stressed LDS over Mormon. I don't know when that awareness would have become widespread though -- my guess is after that film was made because most Californians associate LDS with the commercials (which ran in regular rotation in this part of the county during the late '70s and '80s) and most of those commercials branded with the LDS Church's full name followed by "the Mormons."

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am quite Mormon.

Not to be confused with a quiet Mormon.

"Quite" as in you might be more Mormon than the average? Or the mean? Or are you a mean Mormon?

If so, are you quiet about that?

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Quite.
Scott R
Member # 567

[Evil]
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

[ROFL]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else getting the ad for MyMormonSpace.com?

[ROFL]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.