FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My bowls stink

Author Topic: My bowls stink
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(I am so scared of the possible dobies of this.)

Last week, while rummaging around a GoodWill store, I found a set of 8 wooden bowls and a large wooden salad bowl for only $3.00.

We had a set of those from when we first got married, and are down to 3 surviving bowls left, so this was a great deal for us.

We bought them and brought them home and only then noticed they stank.

The pungent aroma of fried catfish did not linger on the bowls, it filled the entire kitchen. We have aroma candles burning in the kitchen and they are totally overwhelmed by this stench.

So we washed them quickly.

Then, when the stench continued, we washed them slowly.

We hand washed them and used the dishwasher and have basically run out of ideas.

So I turn to the Idea place, Hatrack. Why do these used bowls, enameled walnut, smell, and what can we do to get them to stop?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine I won't dobie it. I soooo wanted to.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, but it's just so easy. Not even worth it.

Here's a suggestion

quote:
Can a wooden bowl or cutting board that has an unpleasant build up and/or a rancid smell be saved?
Yes, a wood bowl can be revived by using a non-abrasive scrub pad, lemon juice, and pumice dust to remove the oil build up that has probably occurred over many years of use. This build up is likely caused by the use of a vegetable based oil or lard to preserve the bowl. Unfortunately using vegetable oil creates a breeding ground for bacteria, which then builds up and becomes gummy or tacky to the touch. In most cases using the pumice and lemon juice will safely remove the old layers of vegetable oil and the smell. It will probably take more than one application of lemon juice and pumice to do the job. Once the old oil layers are removed, clean the bowl with warm water and a mild soap and hand dry. When the bowl is completely clean and dry apply a coat of B's Oil Salad Bowl & Wood Preserver to properly preserve your bowl.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wood bowls can easily fill -- and by "fill," I mean the interior wood of the bowl itself -- with bacteria, and the enamel might be preventing your cleaning agents from penetrating far enough to kill them.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Belle

I guess I have a few more things to add to our shopping list for tonight.

And, Theamaze--thanks even more.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, fill them with a paste of baking soda and water. That's what you're supposed to do when water bottles stink.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves as I have not seen you in ages*

Try vinegar I reckon.

I was wondering what to do about water bottles that reek...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Baking soda?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Laxatives?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Recycling? You might have to eat the 3 bucks.

What's a dobie?

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for matt   Email matt         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree w/ SteveRogers. [Smile]
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
What's a dobie?

I couldn't find a link to a thread that explains this, but a dobie (in simple terms) is a thread/topic that parodies the content/title of another thread.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Resh, this is a (weak) dobie.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Hey, I didn't say I was good at it. Plus, I did it with the intention of showing Resh what one was. And Dan was wary of dobies for this thread, so I did one.

And it's kind of clever for South Park fans.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed, simply from reading this thread's title, that it was a dobie. I also cringed at the imagined content of the dobie'd thread.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.