FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Egg Controversy

Author Topic: Egg Controversy
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first go here and check out a couple of states that suit your fancy.

Then check out this.

I don't know what's funnier--that nobody cared before or that people are caring so much now.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I ate the Texas egg...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's . . . silly on multiple levels.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't find this to be particularly silly. If I were Wyoming and found that rather than contacting the state of Wyoming to find an artist, they had selected an administrative person's child to do the Wyoming egg, I'd be insulted too.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
That is freakin' hilarious.

Heck, any of us could've decorated that egg better than that. Poor Wyoming.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stop looking and smiling at that egg [Smile]
I'm not entirely sure that IS a bad move, certainly if I didn't know it was a mix-up I'd think that Wyoming had an incredible sense of humour ...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
Heck, any of us could've decorated that egg better than that.

Not me...
[Cry]

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I can't stop looking and smiling at that egg [Smile]
I'm not entirely sure that IS a bad move, certainly if I didn't know it was a mix-up I'd think that Wyoming had an incredible sense of humour ...

Yeah. If I were the governor of Wyoming, I'd like to think I would've just cracked (har har) a joke about the state's tiny population, and then moved on with my life.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
]Yeah. If I were the governor of Wyoming, I'd like to think I would've just cracked (har har) a joke about the state's tiny population, and then moved on with my life.

I suppose you've never lived in a small population Western State where people are sensitive about the repeated slights they get from more populous regions of the country.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I like Wyoming's better than Iowa's. And Maryland's. And Rhode Island's.

Not that those aren't nice eggs-- just that they don't do anything for me, while Wyoming's is, at least, amusing.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I have to say, I like Wyoming's better than Iowa's. And Maryland's. And Rhode Island's.

Not that those aren't nice eggs-- just that they don't do anything for me, while Wyoming's is, at least, amusing.

I actually have to say, Wyoming's is one of my favorites.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
]Yeah. If I were the governor of Wyoming, I'd like to think I would've just cracked (har har) a joke about the state's tiny population, and then moved on with my life.

I suppose you've never lived in a small population Western State where people are sensitive about the repeated slights they get from more populous regions of the country.
I suppose I haven't. I have, however, lived in a large West coast state that is routinely ridiculed for its pot-smoking hippies, hedonistic Hollywood liberals, and Governator- and managed to do so without ever getting offended by those jokes. If California's egg had been painted with a crude marijuana leaf or Terminator logo by some joker from Nevada, I would've found it hilarious, especially if it actually managed to get posted on the White House website.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody in California hates everybody else in California.

When people crack on my home state of NC, my only response is "well, we're not as bad as SC!"

Oh well. Maybe the rest of NC will stop embarrassing me one day.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yeah.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by steven:

Nah. We like San Diego just fine. It's Los Angeles that everybody hates. [Big Grin]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Nah. We like San Diego just fine. It's Los Angeles that everybody hates. [Big Grin]
You better. [Wink]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I think Connecticut tried too hard...and Delaware's seems a little tacky, same as Idaho. Washington D.C.'s though, takes the cake in lack of creativity.

My favorites so far include Nevada, Arizona, California, Indiana, Kansas, Rhode Island (just loose the feathers), West Virginia (because that's just plain funny), and of course Wyoming.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

My favorites so far are

Vermont, Ohio, Virginia, Montana, Utah and Kentucky,

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Go CA! #1! WOOHOO!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Speak for yourself. I'd never live anyplace but L.A. (except maybe S.F.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Wyoming.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
That is horrible. How did it even get into there? I am serious when I say if that happened in my state I would seek a class action suite of some kind, any kind - maybe slander? At any rate, I wouldn't care if it was tossed out, as long as I had on record the suite was filed in protest. Then, I would, if time permits, petition the U.S. Government to allow it to be replaced.

That is sick, and I feel for Wyoming.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Wyoming...

Who cares?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
whaaaaaat? i think wyoming's is awesome.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heck, any of us could've decorated that egg better than that. Poor Wyoming.
Part of me thinks it's a fair representation of Wyoming. [Taunt]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Wyoming's lucky we still let them have 2 senators.

You hear that Wyoming? One more stunt like this and you're on representatives only until you've though about what you've done!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think all the eggs should be submitted by students 6th grade or younger. An awful lot of them are really overblown.

I find NY's egg embarrassing.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* NY's was crappy.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Louisiana's creeps me out. I think that's supposed to be Emeril, but it still creeps me out.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm biased, but I think Hawaii's egg is really sweet.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeptical scientist
Member # 10369

- posted      Profile for skeptical scientist           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not like the population of Alaska is that high either, and their egg is the best of the lot. Texas' and Illinois' are also really well done. I think it's really too bad that Wyoming didn't really pick an artist to do a Wyoming egg, and as a result their egg is so crappy.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally I think all the eggs should be submitted by students 6th grade or younger. An awful lot of them are really overblown
That would be awesome
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps next year, instead of decorating eggs, they can try something a little more challenging. Like decorating bacon.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody look at Colorado's. It's beautiful.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just funny. Oklahoma's is ok (get it, ok). Not very exciting, but then again, neither is the state.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at Tennessee's*
[ROFL]

NC's is both ugly and un-creative. The artist needs to be expelled from the state. "Hey, I've got an idea, how about the state flag..in BEADS!!!"

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a rhinestone bun-ny...
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"West Virginia (because that's just plain funny)"

and apropos

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, they just need to ban rhinestones/beads.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are going to do it at all, then they need to contact all of the states' offices. It is horrible to be so disrespectful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It could be worse. Hawaii's is a travesty trying to pass itself off as art.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
What!? You didn't like the brown children!?

My opinion of you has fallen, sir.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Mississippi.. Ouch.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for TN. I live there.

I don't like Elvis. I mean we have such a great history- the formation of the KKK. Andrew Jackson's removal of the Indians, Johnson was the first president to be impeached.... I mean come on- there's so much great stuff of there.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The more I look at these eggs, I wish they would have picked a better photographer, maybe one who has heard of depth of field. Or maybe multiple viewing angles.

This is a once-a-year, nationwide event, and they can't even take a picture that will let you appreciate the egg.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one hearing John Linnel's state songs in my head as I click these?

Crash my bicycle, crash my bicycle.. in a big South Carolina wreck I crash my bicycle... <notes>

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.