FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I can't believe I'm starting an American Idol thread....

Author Topic: I can't believe I'm starting an American Idol thread....
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually watched American Idol, aside from catching random glimpses from my housemate's TV. But it's tough to dodge ALL aspects of pop culture, even if you're trying really really hard, so the recent furor over Sanjaya Malakar has eventually reached my cynical indie rocker ears. And out of morbid curiosity, I loaded up Youtube and looked up some of his appearances on the show.

And... well...

He's not really that bad. Not at all. His voice isn't anything to write home about, sure, but it has a classic rock timbre, and he stays on key. He won't be beating Mariah Carey in vocal improvisation contests anytime soon, but he's not at all unpleasant to listen to.

So why all the hate?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people are just suprised he's still on the show.

I remember on one show, they were going to annouce the bottom two, and it was Sundance v. Sanjaya and Sabrina v. Haley. I was absolutely positive that Sanjaya and Haley were going home. But no, it was Sundance and Sabrina. So now every time I see Sanjaya on the show, I wince a little bit.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
He's 17. People need to give him a break. He's not nearly as bad as Kevin Covais from last year (look that one up on youtube).

Edit: sorry I can't form cohesive sentences today.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
So, who are people actually rooting for this year? Does anyone stand out?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Blake and Melinda, and maybe Lakisha too.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Blake. Melinda mostly. None of the guys impress me that much. I liked Gina, but she's gone.

Lakisha can sing but she doesn't seem to have star power.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They do that every year. Every year on Idle American there's always some teenage boy that fifty million girls coo over and vote for in droves. Last year it was that Chicken Little guy, the year before that, a red haird crooner folks kept grumbling about.
Now it's Sanjaya, who looks a bit like Shinya of Dir en grey because he's my age and looks 17, but then again, some girl thought I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
He's not really that bad. Not at all. His voice isn't anything to write home about, sure, but it has a classic rock timbre, and he stays on key. He won't be beating Mariah Carey in vocal improvisation contests anytime soon, but he's not at all unpleasant to listen to.

So why all the hate?

Because you're missing the context. He's not really that bad, but from a vocal standpoint he's not in the same league as the other contestants, excepting fellow hottie Haley. Some people get annoyed that he's beating out people who can outsing him, whether or not they're aware that this happens every year.

That said, Sanjaya goes beyond his predecessors John Stevens, Josh Gracin, Nikki McKibbin et al. in two ways: (1) It's often noted that simply being an excellent singer isn't enough to become a star; there's also a need for the "X-factor." Sanjaya is very, very strong in the X-factor. (2) Unlike those who came before, he appears to know that that's where his appeal lies, and appears to be actively embracing it, rather than making much attempt to get his singing up to par. (In fact, his singing in recent weeks has been notably worse than it was earlier on.) I can see how some could find that infuriating.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing him go, but I don't hate him. [Smile]

And I'm rooting for Jordin.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that there is so much hate because some people have actually deluded themselves into thinking that this is actually a singing competition instead of a reality show (I have deluded myself every once in awhile, but the Sanjaya's of the competition actually bring me back to reality - pun intended [Wink] )

There's an interesting website out there that actually wants people to vote for Sanjaya because he keeps the show entertaining. When he's gone, they don't think it will be nearly as fun to watch. www.votefortheworst.com

However, I will also say that I think he has a nice voice - not great, but nice - especially when he sings songs in his range and style.

Happy Monday!

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say that Sanjaya has grown on me to the point that I have considered voting for him. Having gotten past the disgust of having him survive rounds when he should have definitely gone home, I'm now to the point of fascination for what in the world he's going to do next. I think the faux-mohawk did that. And he can actually sing...it's just that he's clearly not in the same league as most of the others now. Which is what makes him so much fun now...he's embracing what is working for him, even though it's not his singing. He's like a non-tone-deaf William Hung.

I'm rooting for Blake and hoping it will be him and Melinda in the finale. I don't hold any illusions that he'll win. Melinda will sail through to being this year's idol. My top five are Melinda, Blake, Jordin, LaKisha and Sanjaya, in that order.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I too amd rooting for Jordin. I think she's adorable and so talented!!!

I don't have as much Sanjaya hatred as my sister does. I really liked him as a cute teenager. I admire his guts. In a season of American Idol where critics are crying "THIS IS BORING!" Sanjaya is anything but. That is why I think he's still around...and that is also why there's hatred. He's still around because he's memorable, no matter what Simon says about him being 'not memorable.'

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think they should just stop the show right now and give the victory to Melinda, because she is so far above anyone in ability.

However, I doubt she will win, and there is a good chance she will not make it to the finale.

I also like Jordin.

Blake is unliked by me.

Sanjaya is playing along, now. At first, I thought he was really uncomfrotable, and feeling bad that he made it when others obviously more talented were voted off. Now, he has said, "What the heck?" He is having a good time, and making fun of the people making fun of him. There may be a tenny-bop thing, but there is also a bunch of people who think it is funny to keep him on, so they can laugh at him.

In general, though, I am bored to tears this year. It is the most uninterestting group I have seen so far.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a big Sanjaya fan in the beginning. I thought his voice was sweet and clear and he had such a cute smile. However, he has proved over and over how limited his capabilities are and I find HIS performances the very most boring. As for IT factor, forget it. His years show when he performs. He looks uncomfortable on stage. He has no idea where his strengths lie and just tries to pull off some gimmick every week, usually with his clothing and hair styles. Having auditioned for American Idol twice, I get irritated that someone of his ability can make it so far.

That said, Melinda is far and away the best singer. I really like Lakisha too. She's got spunk. But Blake is absolutely the most commercial and for that reason I hope he wins. He will go far. And Melinda's got an album in the bag no matter what happens from here. Jordin is amazingly talented, but too bubble gum for me. I wouldn't buy an album of hers.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I really like Jordin but I always forget she exists until I see her perform again.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Sanjaya Malakar is officially more popular than Harry Potter...and Justin Timberlake..."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
They were probably searching for the reason he hasn't been voted off... [Grumble]
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for Melinda, Jordin, Blake and Phil in that order. Lakisha has a nice voice but doesn't have that star power. Sanjaya - well he reminds me of Michael Jackson. Could go either way [Wink]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Blake stole the show tonight, I must say, Though I do not care for him much, I am thinking he will be voted the winner this year.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's an interesting website out there that actually wants people to vote for Sanjaya because he keeps the show entertaining. When he's gone, they don't think it will be nearly as fun to watch. www.votefortheworst.com
The mail they get is downright bizarre, if not a little scary.

quote:
I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you.

-

You people are no better than the terrorist that killed thousands of inocent lives.

-

THIS IS TO INFORME YOU THAT I AM A CERTAFIED LAWYER AND PLAN TO SUE ALL YOU'RE STUPID POEPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

What's next? Are you going steal from terminally ill children?

-

YOU GUYS ARE DOING THIS IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO LIFE AND NO FRIENDS AT ALL!!! I WILL MAKE SHER THAT THERE IS A LAWSUIT.

It makes my brain hurt. This can't all be real.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
What, you don't think a moderately untalented singer winning a popularity contest is exactly equivalent to the fall of the World Trade Center towers? That's downright un-American Idol! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for anyone on the west coast

Finally He's gone. The smile on Simon's face was priceless.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
I've personally been Anti-Sanjaya so when I heard that he got voted off I started humming "Ding-dong, the witch is dead".

But anyway:
[Party]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.