FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My first Vista frustration.

Author Topic: My first Vista frustration.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well today i had my first frustration (after 6 months of use) I installed Homeworld 2 to use the BSG mod for it but the screen flickers, so I i fooled around with the graphics settings and it worked, then I went into the scenario and it seemed to work.

But sp skirmishes and multiplayer always crashed to desktop.

Work around? I disabled the DEP in Vista and then tried it. my computer made a flickering noise and restarted.

And it seemed to essentially do this to any recent game. Kotor2, CoD, etc.

I reinstalled drivers, no go, system restore, no go.

Then I turned CoD on but not in safe mode (b4 i was using safe mode) and to my surprise it worked.

Then I tried BF2 and it works.

Then I tried kotor a few more times but still didnt work.

Then i went into config and turned on V sync.

Noooooow it works.

AFAIK all my games (except HW2) work now.

I have no idea what went wrong or what happened or what I did to fix it [Frown] .

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
.....or what you're talking about?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
even i dont know.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you thought of opening the permissions on the Program Files directory so that a regular user or at least your own user has write privileges? First and foremost, that could be an issue. Another problem could be in how the game actually accesses the device drivers (namely the video). Try right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" and report back how your games that still have problems run.

I mentioned the Program Files directory because I have installed a ten year old game that was still able to play without tweaking because it installs itself in the root of C: instead of Program Files, and because I know that Program Files has read, execute, and navigate permissions only by default for almost all but those in the administrator group.

One problem that you will currently find no answer for are games that rely heavily on OpenGL for their engine. Vista is not very good at handling OpenGL at this time, and won't be until some rewrites of drivers to handle the non-kernel space mode that drivers operate in. This places an unfair advantage on DirectX in this regard, but I don't think it is insurmountable for OpenGL to at least be able to provide comparable performance in the future. Just don't expect much in the way of Microsoft bending over backwards to provide loopholes (maybe they will, but I wouldn't hold my breath). This is really bad news to those who wrote their games to eventually be more cross compatible with other operating systems, and I predict it will either cause a schism in platforms that gaming companies begin writing for or more pressure on Microsoft to provide an API (OpenGL is an API) or object model on which OpenGL can operate comparably to DirectX.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.